Arturia Keylab 49 key or Novation Launchkey 49 key?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210
Arturia Keylab 49 key or Novation Launchkey 49 key?

Interested in these two keyboards, as i have a 61 key semi weighted keyboard now, but it doesnt have any knobs or sliders on it, and i want a keyboard that gives some controls on it. i have a choice of a reward for getting honor roll for the first time in 2 years, so i decided i would get a midi controller with some more controls to it as im sick of using my mouse for everything and i would like to perform stuff live too

both come with their set of goodies - the launchkey comes with ableton live and loopmaster soundpacks, and the arturia comes with the arturia analog lab software with 5000 sounds. The arturia definitely looks like its built nicer than the novation, its metal bodied and it definitely doesnt look so cheap and shiny like the novation. however, the arturia is 150 dollars more. if i get that, i would have to put some of my own money into it, which im not super keen on because i am saving up for a new computer, and would like to keep from spending as much of that money as possible, or else ill never get the new computer! haha

what do you guys think? im somewhat leaning more towards the arturia because it looks fantastic, and i like the softsynth too.

Advertisements

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts
Re: Arturia Keylab 49 key or Novation Launchkey 49 key?

Since you already have the keys why not just get a knobby interface only. Youll get more knobs that way. I had my eye on the launchkey too for a bit but eight knobs run out real quick.

D_Davis got the minilab a few weeks back and it gave him nothing but trouble.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island

well the thing i like about the 49 key one is that its smaller and i can take it places, if i got only a knob interface then that would be one extra thing to carry. My band director at school is going to have me adding an electronic element to the pit at football games, and i would like to have a smaller keyboard with more controls to take places and use there. after watching a few videos of the novation launchkey, it actually looks like its built pretty well, unlike in the pictures which make it look like its made out of cheap shiny plastic. plus it has mappings for all different softwares, so no matter what daw i use it should work without having to manually map everything.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

i'm a psycho, so i manually map everything. because i'm bat-shit insane like that...

but does it truly have to be a keyboard?

when traveling and wanting to mess with sound, i generally just pack my maschine mikro in with the laptop and use it in midi mode whenever i need to key in anything. my launchpad can do the same, but i'd rather get the super soft plushy pads and velocity sensitivity from the maschine...

there are a ton of little control interfaces that don't center around a keyboard which might fit the bill. i'd definitely look into those instead of getting another set of keys.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
i'm a psycho, so i manually map everything. because i'm bat-shit insane like that...

but does it truly have to be a keyboard?

when traveling and wanting to mess with sound, i generally just pack my maschine mikro in with the laptop and use it in midi mode whenever i need to key in anything. my launchpad can do the same, but i'd rather get the super soft plushy pads and velocity sensitivity from the maschine...

there are a ton of little control interfaces that don't center around a keyboard which might fit the bill. i'd definitely look into those instead of getting another set of keys.
id prefer to have a keyboard, because i feel having two controllers (a keyboard and a drum machine) makes things a little less cluttered being able to play melody on one hand and using the other hand on the drum pads, because doing it all on one thing i dont know it just feels a little more cumbersome if thats the right word. the novation is only 200 bucks, so its pretty fairly priced compared to a knob only controller. plus i want the sliders too

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 09-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

From what I know the Keylab is the replacement for the Lab series..I own the Arturia Lab 49 and I love it..built like a tank..sturdy..as some weight to it..the action on the keys is nice for quick finger work.So I would think the Keylabs are built the same.(The mini Lab is aweful!!! total crap unless its for when you are on a plane..little mini keys..not for me)..I had the Novation Impulse 49 and 25..49 for home and the 25 to pack up with me..I like a few knobs to tweak cutoff and reso and at least 4 faders for ADSR tweakages..all a matter of taste but RFJ has it right also .knobs..they run out fast especially after you map it to something like Nexus or Omnisphere..another BCR-2000 is in the works for me for that..

and way to go on the Honor Roll..! nice job!

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
_Mystik_ (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Was just looking at that at Zzsounds...HAHAHA!!!>..awesome!

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

Pricy piece of kit that one is though.

OT: Being an Ableton user at that price I'm dangerously close to Push so I think I'd save for another month and pass on that one.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

ill probably check them both out in store, as i heard that the minilab was crap, yet the keylab is better. however, novation does have good mapping software from what i heard with the launchkey. also, i believe that you can set multiple banks for the knobs on the launchkey, so having only 8 knobs might not be that bad.

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts

Man you are planning to use Cubase right - and you already have some keys. Consider this controller -

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote