MPD32 or MASCHINE
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 22-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53410
Thanked 1,068 Times in 764 Posts
MPD32 or MASCHINE

for live performance? probably for production too, but more for the former.

any thoughts? are they even the same thing? i feel like maschine would be the better route. but i want to do everything from it, efx, loops blah blah blah. i have an apc 40 i guess that could achieve stuff too. but i like the idea of pads. anyway.

tell me now

Advertisements

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
Re: MPD32 or MASCHINE

thoughts?
Old 23-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
are they even the same thing?
If you don't know what the difference is, you probably don't need either.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269487208
Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,148 Posts

Scyn's got a point.
If you don't even know the difference between the 2, you don't need any of them.
Have you tried reading some reviews?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

One is merely a controller, the other is almost a full daw.

Let's play a game, if you can tell me, after a bit of researches, which one is only a controller and which one is a production centre, I'll answer your question more nicely, but if you read at least the 2 articles above, yo won't need my answer anymore...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
busy

course I read reviews just seeing what some of the members here personally think. stop trying to be overly elitist it's incredibly exhausting. Idc about random reviewers, and have considered some blogs and write ups etc but I like this community and what some of the people think. sorry I didn't specify boiz

Last edited by SKYCORE; 23-01-2013 at 08:57 AM..
Old 23-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269487208
Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,148 Posts

From this sentence it looked like you didn't know what you were talking about:
"are they even the same thing? i feel like maschine would be the better route. but i want to do everything from it, efx, loops"

If you want to do everything from it, only one of them will allow you to, as the other is just a pad controller, they are not the same thing at all...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

If you just want to midi-map things in Ableton, stick with the MPD32, though it's not gonna add much more functionality than your APC40. If you really need/want pads, there's always cheaper options like a Korg PadKontrol or an MPD18. Maschine is overkill for straight-up midi mapping duties.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
MagnusN
Analog Lurker
MagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to behold
Copenhagen
MC Status: 810

The maschine is really good nowadays.. after the 1.8 update things started working. I bought mine secondhand and after the update it stopped "hanging", which has been a big issue with the maschine..
It has an excellent way of controlling clips, but looking at the maschine software/plugin, you have an instrument which sounds like Native Instruments.. I've never tried the mpd32 but I have the mpd24, and always felt a bit limited by it.. but most experience and new ideas has come from trying different approaches through different hardware solutions, so if you feel like you haven't tried enough different solutions - try your way around. you can always sell it second hand and get it fairly priced that way. I don't know if I'm making sense, but for me there's just so many posts you can read, and so many opninions, but you need to make your own judgement at some point, since it's your money, it's your choice how many ambitions you put into the whole "making music".. I'd really wish the internet had another dimension.. being able to feel and touch, but until now.. go down to a store and check it. Don't get to caught up in the sales person. Find your needs, try different approaches (you can actually do quite a bit with a fair share of midi knowledge) and then decide.

Good luck!
MagnusN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222285184
Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusN View Post
I bought mine secondhand and after the update it stopped "hanging", which has been a big issue with the maschine..
for you

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
MagnusN
Analog Lurker
MagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to beholdMagnusN is a splendid one to behold
Copenhagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
for you
Sounds like it's not totally fixed - Sorry to hear... :/
Old 23-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222285184
Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusN View Post
Sounds like it's not totally fixed - Sorry to hear... :/
no lol i mean its been a big issue with maschine.... for you!

every now and then i see people complain that the maschine had this really annoying problem that everybody had but its fixed now.... really they probably just had a computer that couldnt handle it properly

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
MagnusN
Analog Lurker
Copenhagen

aah I see, hah!

Back to topic.. maybe you should consider Abletons "Push" solution when it's out instead of the maschine?
Old 24-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Dhinojosa94
Sample Destroyer
Dhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really nice
San Pedro Garza Garcia
MC Status: 410

even though they have a very similar layout i believe they are for completely different purposes
Dhinojosa94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
busy

ah thanks for the infos. i feel ive mad my decision, thanks duders

Advertisements