Which of these laptops is the best (objectively)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 20-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841
Which of these laptops is the best (objectively)

Either the HP pavillion dv 4110eg. Specs:

Windows 7 premium 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-460M Prozessor. 2,53 GHz, 3 MB Level-3-Cache
RAM: 6 GB DDR3
Hard drive: 640 GB SATA 5400 U/min
Display: HD+ High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display mit 43,9 cm (17,3")
Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Grafikkarte
USB: 4 USB 2.0
Audio: Beats™ Soundsystem with integrated Subwoofer
Weight: 3,25 kg

Or the lenovo u300/u400:

Display
Diagonal Size : 13.3”
Resolution : 1366 x 768 (HD)

Graphics Card
Intel® GMA HD 3000 graphics

Processor
Type : Intel® Core™ i7-2620M
Speed : 2.7 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz
Cache : 4 MB L3

Memory
Up to 4GB DDR3 memory

Storage
Up to 1TB HDD & 64GB (optional) SSD

Communication
LAN : 10/100/1000M
WLAN : 802.11 b/g or b/g/n WiFi
Bluetooth : Yes

Inputs and Controls
AccuType keyboard with individual rounded keys
Intelligent touchpad
Breathable keyboard

Audio
2.0 speakers (2x1W)
SRS® Premium Surround Sound™ audio enhancement

Interface
2 x USB 2.0
1 x mic
1 x headphone
1 x HDMI
1 x USB 3.0

Power
Battery Life : up to 6 hrs

Weight
Weight : 1.58 kg

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

Advertisements

mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
psaiclone
Minor Glitch
psaiclone is currently spamming hard
Wuppertal
MC Status: 10
Re: Which of these laptops is the best (objectively)

you may think of the fact that HP wants to get rid of the hardware biz, so maybe longtime suport
maybe problematic.

i would go for the lenovo, but that only because i made some good experiences with lenovo.
psaiclone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German

Lol es ist schon komisch, einen Wuppertaler im Forum zu treffen. Ich wohnte gut eineinhalb Jahre dort

I am not interested in longtime support, as I believe all companies don´t give a damn about their customers. I care about the quality of the hardware.
Old 22-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
I care about the quality of the hardware.
I'm under the impression that quality can be a problem with a HP. At least when you compare it to a Lenovo.
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Hard to compare as they present quite different buying points.

The HP would be a good all rounder (mainly down to a dedicated GFX card and extra RAM) and the screens on them are pretty nice. The i5 isn't a bad chip at all and I guess the Beats thing is quite cool but not really necessary at all. Would also be interested to see the battery life.

The Lenovo looks like a pretty nice ultra mobile but I wouldn't have one as a main machine, mainly due to the screen size and the lack of space for upgrading, I'd also want the option to game so a dedicated Gfx card would be necessary for me.

Maybe you could expand on what you're looking to do with your new beast?

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralPunk View Post
Hard to compare as they present quite different buying points.

The HP would be a good all rounder (mainly down to a dedicated GFX card and extra RAM) and the screens on them are pretty nice. The i5 isn't a bad chip at all and I guess the Beats thing is quite cool but not really necessary at all. Would also be interested to see the battery life.

The Lenovo looks like a pretty nice ultra mobile but I wouldn't have one as a main machine, mainly due to the screen size and the lack of space for upgrading, I'd also want the option to game so a dedicated Gfx card would be necessary for me.

Maybe you could expand on what you're looking to do with your new beast?
I am looking for a solid, fast and durable laptop which I can use both home to produce and that is stable enough to let me perform onstage. The U400 by lenovo has got a 14 inches screen...that wouldn´t be so bad, right?
Old 23-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC

Quote:
I am looking for a solid, fast and durable laptop which I can use both home to produce and that is stable enough to let me perform onstage. The U400 by lenovo has got a 14 inches screen...that wouldn´t be so bad, right?
I'd try a laptop of that size before you buy and consider the context you'll be using it in...

if/when you are playing on it live would you find the screen size to be enough to see even if you're tired/in a cloud of rave sweat/surrounded by lights? (think of some realistic scenarios, play them out)

I would personally prefer a larger screen for that, mainly because I wouldn't trust my eye sight under performance conditions.

------------------
Old 24-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralPunk View Post
I'd try a laptop of that size before you buy and consider the context you'll be using it in...

if/when you are playing on it live would you find the screen size to be enough to see even if you're tired/in a cloud of rave sweat/surrounded by lights? (think of some realistic scenarios, play them out)

I would personally prefer a larger screen for that, mainly because I wouldn't trust my eye sight under performance conditions.
What´s the screen width of those macbooks used by electronic musicians onstage?
Old 24-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
niksah
Master of the LFO
niksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MCniksah is a savage MC
San Francisco
MC Status: 9509953

Those are usually 15" or 17" Macbook Pros

I can't speak to the specs as I haven't been in the PC world for a few years now, but generally Lenovos are known to be higher quality and last longer. When HP was in its big price wars with Dell a few years ago, they were doing whatever they could to cut corners in their manufacturing process. From what I've seen, they haven't brought the quality back up from that time. Once again though, this is about the brands, not the specific models.
niksah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka

Quote:
What´s the screen width of those macbooks used by electronic musicians onstage?
Depends on the artist

I'd say go to a retailer and try some out, you'll get a good idea of how easily you can get on with the different sizes far better than knowing someone else's preference.

------------------
Old 24-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
m_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of light
Melbourne Australia
MC Status: 501

for my 2 cents, I have an old HP lappy that is hiding in the house somewhere. It kind of still works, but it was a generation of these that the GPU was poorly soldered to the mobo and after some time and normal use the gpu becomes unsolderd. Not Happy. It has pretty much destroyed my opinion of them as they wouldn't replace even though lots of peeps have that problem. Although I'm sure the new ones don't have the same problem go Lenovo for stability, they seem to retain $$ value too.
m_wallus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42416349
Thanked 5,647 Times in 3,668 Posts

Both laptops are by well known manufacturers. You'll find each has people that praise them, and people who have had a bad experience.

Personally, the priority for me is the CPU. Once you've got a lot going on, the CPU is the stress point. After that in order, memory size then storage.

While memory speed and storage speed make a large difference to performace, the amount of memory tends to make a larger difference, since the difference in speed of memory in most comparable laptops is relatively slight. By comparable laptops, I mean for example current laptops at a similar price point / spec to systems from other manufacturers.

You'll get some people who will no doubt quibble about the graphics but I see it as a red herring in the decision making process unless you intended to do graphics or gaming on it.

From the above 2 systems, I'd be leaning towards the Lenovo but both will likely be good systems.

For those commenting on HP getting rid of the hardware business:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...pcs_after_all/

Also note, the sale of PSG would only have affected personal computing for the most part, not the enterprise side of the HP business. But anyway, the report is accurate in that HP is indeed keeping the hardware business.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
Tristride
Analog Lurker
Tristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MCTristride is a savage MC
MC Status: 1081933

Both would be good but I think the Lenovo would be better for your purposes.

------------------
If you love DUBSTEP and ELECTRO check out my soundcloud!!!

Tristride is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
rukie
Minor Glitch
rukie will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 62

I am currently using a Macbook pro 13" and an acer i5

I would say go for a MAC, its fine tuned for multimedia application

------------------
rukie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
scyn
IDMf Artist
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883006
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
I am currently using a Macbook pro 13" and an acer i5

I would say go for a MAC, its fine tuned for multimedia application
Dammit. It's a choice between HP or Lenovo :ph34r:. Hopeless... .

FWIW: I own an HP and their customer service has been excellent. I've had two faults (HDD and battery) and both parts were replaced with minimal fuss and obviously, at no cost.

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote