FL Studio 11 questions
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 29-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
SoloSaga will become famous soon enough
Ohio
MC Status: 60
FL Studio 11 questions

So I used to use Ableton, but my Mac crashed and I lost everything. Starting from scratch, I decided to try FL Studio instead. So far I think I may like it a little better, but I have a few little questions that I couldn't find the answers to anywhere else.

1. Everytime I play the track from the beginning, the initial kick or sound that starts off is always quite a bit louder and annoying. Any way of fixing this?

2. FL seems to have built in sidechaining or something because louder instruments, particularly in the percussion seem to muffle quiter ones at times, resulting in some being very loud when played alone. Dunno what this is either and it's quite annoying.

I'm sorry if these questions sound dumb or amateur to some, but I'm just starting out with FL so any kind help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

------------------
SoloSaga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210
Re: FL Studio 11 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSaga View Post
1. Everytime I play the track from the beginning, the initial kick or sound that starts off is always quite a bit louder and annoying. Any way of fixing this?
I've never noticed this. It may have something to do with the next point though.

Quote:
2. FL seems to have built in sidechaining or something because louder instruments, particularly in the percussion seem to muffle quiter ones at times, resulting in some being very loud when played alone. Dunno what this is either and it's quite annoying.
By default, there is a brickwall limiter on the master with some gain and a ceiling of 0dB. The standard kick at default volume peaks at 0dB through the limiter, so unless you turn stuff down you'll be hitting the limiter ceiling very quickly. Personally, I don't mind having a limiter on the master (seems like an extra bit of protection, and I make sure I never hit the ceiling during normal work), but I find it's worth turning the gain down to unity at least.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

how do i remove mixer channels?

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Thanks for the fast reply! That may be the problem. I'll report back after later after my class.
Another quick question, on the piano roll, at the bottom where you can edit pitch, volume, etc., how do I remove the automation? I know I can just draw a straight line to even it out, but there's got to be a way to just straight up remove it right?

------------------
Old 29-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
how do i remove mixer channels?
I'm not sure there is a way. The tracks go up to 99 by default, but take up no CPU if they're not used. A track can be cleared quickly by right click->file->open mixer track state->default, and moved left and right with right click->move left/right, or Alt+left/right with the track selected.

Also, a track can be quickly duplicated by right click->file-> click and drag "save mixer track state as" to the desired track. This can obviously be used to clear a track quicker than the method above, by copying from a blank mixer track.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
Thanks to mister_crow
Nystagmus (30-10-2013)
Old 29-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
A tree in Verulamium

Quote:
Another quick question, on the piano roll, at the bottom where you can edit pitch, volume, etc., how do I remove the automation? I know I can just draw a straight line to even it out, but there's got to be a way to just straight up remove it right?
I only really know workarounds for this... one thing you can do is insert a pattern after the one you want to remove automation from, and simply copy the things you want to keep into the next pattern. That's really bad, unless it's literally just the midi notes you want to keep.

If the thing you automated can be randomised (tools icon in the top left, or alt+r), you can switch on "reset before processing" in the dialogue box. Then, if you start turn one of the randomise knob the smallest amount it can be turned, all the data is reset, but no randomisation is applied.

I'll have a muck about and see if I can find anything better. I never edit piano roll automation by hand, it's either recorded or I create a separate automation clip.

------------------
Old 29-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_crow View Post
I only really know workarounds for this... one thing you can do is insert a pattern after the one you want to remove automation from, and simply copy the things you want to keep into the next pattern. That's really bad, unless it's literally just the midi notes you want to keep.

If the thing you automated can be randomised (tools icon in the top left, or alt+r), you can switch on "reset before processing" in the dialogue box. Then, if you start turn one of the randomise knob the smallest amount it can be turned, all the data is reset, but no randomisation is applied.

I'll have a muck about and see if I can find anything better. I never edit piano roll automation by hand, it's either recorded or I create a separate automation clip.
Thanks for the answer.

As for the initial volume spike at the beginning of the track only thing, it's still happening. I started a blank template, so it's not the limiter, and the volume representation thingy near the BPM counter isn't showing an evident spike, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll have to experiment to see if any sound does this or just samples.

------------------
Old 29-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564830
Thanked 7,478 Times in 5,279 Posts

You can get two MIDI notes layered on top of each other in the piano roll, sometimes this will do that "double kick" thing and cause spikes in loudness, but sounds like that may not be the issue.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Does anyone know what's going on :/

------------------
Old 30-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_crow View Post
I'm not sure there is a way. The tracks go up to 99 by default, but take up no CPU if they're not used. A track can be cleared quickly by right click->file->open mixer track state->default, and moved left and right with right click->move left/right, or Alt+left/right with the track selected.

Also, a track can be quickly duplicated by right click->file-> click and drag "save mixer track state as" to the desired track. This can obviously be used to clear a track quicker than the method above, by copying from a blank mixer track.
Wow thanks! that explains a lot! I was wondering...!

------------------

Old 30-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
You can get two MIDI notes layered on top of each other in the piano roll, sometimes this will do that "double kick" thing and cause spikes in loudness, but sounds like that may not be the issue.
What he said. Just play single tracks at the start, if this is the problem, one would stand out, then just go to the piano roll, delete the first note and re-paint it, sometimes when you want to move a note, you click miss and it paints another note above the one that's already there, thus playing two notes at the same time, I've had many headaches with this.

If that is not the problem, try looking into the synthesisers you use. I've noticed with some synths(FM7 does this always) is that the synth 'initialises' when the song starts, and when the first note is played, all the waveforms are in phase and then the note sounds kind of awkward compared to the rest. To alleviate this, start the song at the second bar and play a note with the channel still muted in the first bar just t o set the waves in motion.

If that's not it, perhaps if you use sidechain compression with a relatively long attack time the initial sounds might be louder before the compressor kicks in. If your compressed sound has a long delay or reverb, the synth might also sound louder until all the delays are layered on top of each other. I have this problem at the moment but am too busy to try and solve it right now.

This is what I can think of and have experienced so far, I don't know of any software or driver glitches so that would be my last guess...

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Yeah it's none of those...I checked them all. It's probably something with my PC which means it will be fine when exported.

------------------
Old 30-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
A tree in Verulamium

Quote:
the volume representation thingy near the BPM counter isn't showing an evident spike
I only just noticed this point - if it's not spiking on that you're probably right that it won't render. What you're probably hearing is an initialisation click/pop. I get them most of the time, it doesn't really matter what I have there. Perhaps this sound is layering with your kick and making it sound louder?

------------------
Old 30-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Most likely that's what's going on. Glad to know it won't effect the final export.

Should this thread be a general FL Studio question thread?

------------------
Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.

Just a reminder for anybody else with latency issues: if you use a USB interface, make sure the computer is "relaxed" and fully booted and ready when you first turn on and plug in your USB audio gear of any type. Also make sure that other USB devices that aren't needed are unplugged. Apparently the first signals of a USB device plugged in tells the OS how fast to setup it's communication channels. So if it's too busy on either end or affected by other USB device "pollings" then your interface will be slower!!! I read all about this stuff on the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
page site. USB is actually not so perfect. If you read the entire article it clears up a lot of mysteries about USB devices.

------------------

Old 17-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
BitterLad
Minor Glitch
BitterLad is a jewel in the roughBitterLad is a jewel in the roughBitterLad is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Do any of you guys use Soundgoodizer? I do, but I feel kinda guilty about it when I do.
BitterLad is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Xenon
IDMf Artist
Xenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond reputeXenon has a reputation beyond repute
Gangster's Paradise
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterLad View Post
Do any of you guys use Soundgoodizer? I do, but I feel kinda guilty about it when I do.
Nope, I don't. But I don't really see any problem if you use it on any particular sound, hopefully just not the whole song... It's only a plugin with 4 Maximus presets built into it. I use other effects to make my stuff sound 'better'...

------------------
Just started a new movement. I call it Xenon-phobia...
Xenon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

It's better to learn what soundgoodizer is doing and why it makes things sound good so that you can use other compressors with more control.

Like a chef learning why you don't throw Mrs.Dash into every single recipe ever.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mindsweeper
Xenon (18-11-2013)
Old 18-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Meer
Radial Developer
Meer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond reputeMeer has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2610

Quote:
Another quick question, on the piano roll, at the bottom where you can edit pitch, volume, etc., how do I remove the automation?
For the note properties, you can use tools - scale levels to move stuff around. And for event editor automation or whatever that's called, you can straight up delete in the event editor, but not the piano roll.
Meer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
abookcase
Minor Glitch
abookcase has a spectacular aura aboutabookcase has a spectacular aura aboutabookcase has a spectacular aura about
Guernsey
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterLad View Post

yep..... but often if it sounds good, ill remove it, then use another compressor with similar settings so I can fine tune it more

Advertisements

abookcase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote