Switching to Ableton Live. What are the best plugins to buy to complement? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 14-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #21
Necrobot
Minor Glitch
Necrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Re: switching to ableton. What are the best plugins to buy to complement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddo84 View Post
Not sure if this has been added, but I don't particularly like ableton's phaser, flanger and chorus effects. Maybe there's something appropriate via M4L, but I'm still without confidence with these components when using live.
Effects like those you've described (phase fx) are often discredited based on their face value, they may not sound pleasing or desirable at first but I think it's the way you utilise it. Personally, I use Chorus to get faux stereo imaging and flattening/smoothing in some of my synths. It can help move things around in the mix I suppose, but yeah you're right for the most part, the actual sounds of phasers and flangers don't appeal to me most of the time either.

Advertisements

Necrobot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
swaddo84
Microknight
swaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrobot View Post
Effects like those you've described (phase fx) are often discredited based on their face value, they may not sound pleasing or desirable at first but I think it's the way you utilise it. Personally, I use Chorus to get faux stereo imaging and flattening/smoothing in some of my synths. It can help move things around in the mix I suppose, but yeah you're right for the most part, the actual sounds of phasers and flangers don't appeal to me most of the time either.
No, I think I've spent hours tweaking with them and they don't sound all that great. I've been working with these effects since my guitar days in my early teens and I like to be able to get nice and thick results. Not getting them.

I know what I like.
swaddo84 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
Necrobot
Minor Glitch
Necrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of lightNecrobot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No, I think I've spent hours tweaking with them and they don't sound all that great. I've been working with these effects since my guitar days in my early teens and I like to be able to get nice and thick results. Not getting them.

I know what I like.
I don't doubt that. If you do find your desired result, I would love to know!
Old 15-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
PeterBeckhart
Radial Developer
PeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura aboutPeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura about
Orange County, CA
MC Status: 160

Quote:

I know what I like.
I'm not a big fan of the phaser or flanger myself either. Any recommendations for a good replacement plugin?

------------------
My most recent track:

Check out my soundcloud here:
https://soundcloud.com/beckhart
PeterBeckhart is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #25
Necrobot
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBeckhart View Post
Any recommendations for a good replacement plugin?
On the prowl now, will let you know if anything comes up.
Old 15-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #26
oliveralex
Granular Poster
oliveralex is a jewel in the rougholiveralex is a jewel in the rougholiveralex is a jewel in the rough
Antwerp
MC Status: 260
Re: Switching to Ableton Live. What are the best plugins to buy to complement?

Check out the W1 limiter from yohng. it is a free Waves L1 clone. just drop it on your masterbus to assure quality when live or mixing, since all ableton channels will (almost) never distrort when clipping,

Advertisements

oliveralex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote