Ableton 9 Screenshots and Video - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 25-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #41
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870
Re: Ableton 9 Screenshots and Video

I don't know, I see a lot of great features but not too much "OMG WANT"

Except for some reason the ability to capture everything done in a time selection in arrange view and export to new scene in the session view along with all automation seems really interesting. Not by looking at it as playing live but for possible further tweaking, sound design... My brain iz abuzz on that.

Advertisements

agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #42
Nova-
Regular Freak
Nova- is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 11

Anyone think they might do some sort of live 9 + push bundle? Otherwise I'm thinking of just picking up live 8 suite + the upgrade for $425 (40% educational discount).
Nova- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #43
PSSNGR
Minor Glitch
PSSNGR is just really nicePSSNGR is just really nicePSSNGR is just really nicePSSNGR is just really nice
MC Status: 360

For me the announcement is all about the Live9/Push combo. It kind of takes the Maschine paradigm of controlling everything using the dedicated hardware ( at least in the creative/jamming stages ) and brings it to Ableton and all the benefits it has.

For me this = less time getting sounds from my brain into the DAW and out of my speakers.

I'm going to start putting money aside each month for this and hope for more info as time passes. It will be interesting to see if/what N.I and others do to compete with this shift in workflow.
PSSNGR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #44
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSSNGR View Post
For me this = less time getting sounds from my brain into the DAW and out of my speakers.
That's exactly what I was thinking seeing the live graphic displays on the glue comp/eq8/gate. I'm psyched they took those effects to the next level. I'm glad everything has wet/dry now so I can stop building racks every time I want a dry signal blended in. I've heard max for live will be included in the suite which is sweet if you don't have it yet. Max for live is pretty sick.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #45
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to start putting money aside each month for this and hope for more info as time passes. It will be interesting to see if/what N.I and others do to compete with this shift in workflow.
If anything, Ableton and Akai are responding to and trying to catch up to NI. Maschine set a new standard for hardware/software interaction, and now Live and the MPC brand are having to shift.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #46
PSSNGR
Minor Glitch
PSSNGR is just really nicePSSNGR is just really nicePSSNGR is just really nicePSSNGR is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
If anything, Ableton and Akai are responding to and trying to catch up to NI. Maschine set a new standard for hardware/software interaction, and now Live and the MPC brand are having to shift.
I half agree with you, Maschine has completely changed the way I make 'computer music', but as a Maschine user for the last few years, there is undoubtedly a huge gap when moving ideas from Maschine into a full DAW like Live, or Tools, or whatever. ( I won't go into great detail unless you'd find that interesting).

This gap is (hopefully) filled with Live9/Push because they are adding the hands on / creative 'Maschine workflow' element to an already capable DAW.

IMO, for things to be even close to equal, NI would have to add the 'DAW' element to the Maschine software. Adding things like a mixer, audio tracks and even multicore which Maschine lacks, all things stopping a user from turning a good idea or jam session into a polished final result without reaching for other software or dealing with workarounds or hurdles.

Don't get me wrong, Maschine is awesome at what it does, and if N.I do not plan to develop it into an 'all in one' solution, then that's their incentive, but with the ecosystem they have built up over the years ( Komplete Instruments, Maschine, Traktor etc), I think an N.I DAW type thing is on the cards to glue these different ideas and workflows into one seamless package.

It's going to be interesting no matter what happens. I'm just very happy that hardware units are becoming powerful enough to create tunes from scratch using the computer as the brain rather than the input method.

PSSNGR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PSSNGR
D_Davis (26-10-2012)
Old 26-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #47
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

i think the question that everyone should ask is how much workflow improvement did it have?

Other wise I think anyone can still stick to ableton 8...

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #48
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Quote:
I half agree with you, Maschine has completely changed the way I make 'computer music', but as a Maschine user for the last few years, there is undoubtedly a huge gap when moving ideas from Maschine into a full DAW like Live, or Tools, or whatever. ( I won't go into great detail unless you'd find that interesting).
Completely agree here.
Old 26-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #49
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5746543

TL;DR - Chub talk...

I love Live, I will be upgrading to 9 and I will be getting this controller. I already have the APC though. So it may be a casualty of the whole process. However, I keep saying I'll build some racks with VST instruments/effects and see if it will stay programmed in between usage and projects but never do. I seriously need to do that. If the Push doesn't or won't already take a lot of midi data and program my VSTs properly of course.

That is actually the gap for me, between hardware and software. Possibly even why Maschine has done what it has done. Not just a controller but something it was built to be used with.

I can also agree that it is a response to the success NI has had with Maschine. See what is working and do it, profit + evolve. I also think in the long term, controllers that take the mouse out of the equation more and more is inevitable. At least with software in my opinion.

Arturia has done it with their hybrid keyboard controller/software. Too bad the keys aren't semi-weighted or I'd have started grabbing some software and the initial kit, AKAI so far with Live and M-Audio seems to have a sort of working relationship with Logic(could be wrong).

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #50
D_Davis
Seattle

I think it's a very good thing for software companies to realize how important a good piece of hardware is, and of how much better a dedicated DAW-specific hardware controller can make the music-making process.

It's also a great way to stop some piracy. Sure, the software works without the hardware dongle, but it's way better with it.
Old 26-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #51
VHS
Minor Glitch
VHS will become famous soon enoughVHS will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova- View Post
Anyone think they might do some sort of live 9 + push bundle? Otherwise I'm thinking of just picking up live 8 suite + the upgrade for $425 (40% educational discount).
According to their website there are indeed bundles for Push and various versions of Live. There are other discounts too for buying current versions of Live 8 by itself.
VHS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #52
Jamb1093
Minor Glitch
Jamb1093 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

to me the whole push controller is just a mix of like the best of the apc and maschine it's really nice looking though. DId anyone see the glue compressor on the video ? I wonder if cytomic partnered with them to make a version for live.
Jamb1093 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #53
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamb1093 View Post
to me the whole push controller is just a mix of like the best of the apc and maschine it's really nice looking though. DId anyone see the glue compressor on the video ? I wonder if cytomic partnered with them to make a version for live.
They literally mentioned their partnership with Cytomic in the video during that part LOL.
Dugg Funnie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #54
Jamb1093
Minor Glitch
Jamb1093 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

i must have been multitasking when they said that. either way it seems like ableton 9 is going to sell its ass off. If i still used live i would be stoked.
Jamb1093 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #55
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

I think the best thing about Live 9 so far is the inclusion of M4L. I've been wanting to take a look at it for a while now, and compared to the other minor workflow tweaks this stands out the most.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #56
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299527

Preview!!

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #57
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5746543

I like how he went straight to the dubstep sound and wobble, lol. Going to leave from work and watch the rest when I get home. Awesome find Divercity.

And holy shit. He just converted an audio file for drums into a drumrack, seriously? FUCK YEA!

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #58
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
I'm only half way into the video and they sold me on the new ways to grab polyphonic midi from audio clips... The fact you can now build a whole track around a given sound a lot more effortlessly is nice and so I'm jumping on the "live 8 suite + free upgrade to 9" deal today.

It's the waiting until 2013 that's going to kill me... And somewhere in the back of my mind I worry about them pushing back the date for some dumb reason.. Also not looking forward to all the possible bugs and other annoying nonfunctional issues that might arise, because something tells me they might be doing a rush job on this to beat Bitwig to the market.

However, I'm also thinking that when Bitwig arrives I'll grab that too and strip my computer of all my other daws and rewire these together as a sort of super daw, getting the best of both worlds..

Last edited by agent; 27-10-2012 at 06:22 PM..
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #59
magavan
Soundwave Mangler
magavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MCmagavan is a savage MC
MC Status: 125540

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Yup. But while the design of the Push controller is obviously Maschine-inspired and an indication that Ableton and Akai are attempting to get a slice of the pie from Maschine's success story, it's not going to be that much of a competition to Maschine for me because:

- Push doesn't automap to third party plugins: "With VSTs, we currently can't access parameters in an automatic and consistent way, as we can with our own devices, so you would be left with a way to load a VST, but not control it automatically. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

- it can't do step automation (step parameter lock): "We don't have per step automation of devices (also known as parameter lock)" [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

- no waveforms on the hardware LCD when sample editing and will still force you to look back and forth at the computer screen for a lot of things

- still requires you to use the mouse/trackpad for a lot of things like opening/closing plugin windows, even with cramming in lots of dedicated buttons

- the pads are too small for those who like to use more than one finger at a time on a pad

- has an unfortunate design flaw of the knobs being positioned above the LCD screen

- no Komplete preset integration on the hardware, obviously

- way overpriced in comparison to Maschine ($948 with standard version of Live, $1198 with Live Suite)

What Push does provide is a potentially useful case study for what could happen if NI suddenly decided to bloat Maschine with all kinds of features found on most DAWs so that you lose the mouseless capability of Maschine's fully hands-on workflow.

All in all, at that silly price point, I'll wait for the inevitable "Push" Lemur template for my iPad.
magavan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #60
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606224

creamed myself when i heard about this...

Advertisements

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote