Ableton multisampling question
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
azrael11000
Analog Lurker
azrael11000 is just really niceazrael11000 is just really niceazrael11000 is just really niceazrael11000 is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Ableton multisampling question

I'm going to be recording a flautist on Sunday. I'll be sampling every note in her range as well as all the different dynamic levels. If I have a sample of her playing middle C, how would I go about telling sampler to play the mezzoforte sample when I set the velocity to 80, the forte sample at 96, etc...? I know how to set up velocity and the note range in the zone tab just not how to tie each velocity to the note currently being used. Sorry if that's a bit confusing but I'm not too sure how to elegantly describe wha I'm trying to do. Thanks! In return for advice, I'll post the samples and an instrument preset made out of them once I get it made

Advertisements

------------------
azrael11000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Ableton multisampling question

In the sampler set the velocity of each sample you're using to 0, that way the note will play at the recorded velocity without any influence from live, or if you know the velocity if each sample hit you could just do the math and set the velocity in the clip for each note accordingly
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I wish I could help. I remember asking (about two years ago) if anyone knew of a program that arranged selected samples by dynamics and/or level (overall average RMS, peak level, etc) and numbered them accordingly, so that I could just throw them into my sampler of choice. No one could help me. I had to do it all manually by setting the velocity ranges (in a sampler) for each individual sample.

If anyone, to this day, know of a software exists - let me know.

Sorry for hijacking.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
azrael11000
Analog Lurker
azrael11000 is just really niceazrael11000 is just really niceazrael11000 is just really niceazrael11000 is just really nice

Thanks but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking to sample say middle C at ppp, pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, and fff (classic dynamic markings) then do the same with C# and so on and have them all controlled via one sampler. The only way I can think of doing this at the moment is to have a separate sampler loaded into a drum rack for each note with the zoned velocities in each one but I'd really rather control it all from just one sampler to save on CPU.

Edit: You beat me to posting Evelon I'll keep my eyes peeled for such a software in my travels along the web but I'm not adverse to getting down and dirty with manual zoning so I wouldn't hold your breath.

------------------
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I know how to do this in N.I Kontakt, Vember Shortcircuit, Image-Line Direct Wave...but not in Ableton Live.

Here's maybe a helpful picture though (16 velocity-values for each sample):

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
azrael11000 (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

its pretty straight forward in ableton's sampler. you pull up the "Zone" set of parameters.

I would start by organizing all of your samples by note first and place them in keyzones according to pitch. create the first set of zones and make them the softest articulation.

once you have that first sample layer set, click the Vel button to pull up your velocity mapping. make this first set of samples your lowest vel range....

repeat this process for each set of samples per articulation in the appropriate velocity ranges....

all of the zone and velocity parameters edit in the same fashion as the chain selector in an insrument or fx rack.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
azrael11000 (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
azrael11000
Analog Lurker

Thanks Chase, that's exactly what I was looking for! If all goes according to plan, I'll have a rack with both staccato and sustained notes all mapped and recorded through both my interface and an old otari mx-50 by Monday to share with you guys. I don't know if I have the skill with max yet but, at some point, I'll also put together a max for live instrument which will allow for easy addition of accents, crescendos, slurs, etc..

------------------
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541827
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,323 Posts

skip max for live for it.

build staccato and sustained notes into the same patch. create an instrument rack with both articulations and assign a macro knob to the chain selector... if you map the macro to your mod wheel you can play the whole setup in realtime, staccato, sustained, whatever! (:

:edit: glad i could help.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote