Some feedback on my new to build setup
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 15-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam
MC Status: 7010
Some feedback on my new to build setup

After some initial contemplation about buying from a dedicated DAW builder (as they do like a 100+ BIOS en OS tweaks plus check your system for dpc latency I decided to build one myself cause I just don't have the extra money.

Now as it's been over 5 years ago since I build my last PC (which was for gaming purposes) I would appreciate some sharp feedback on my current choices.
Especially if there are any known issues about components, compatibility and silencing and if you see options for price reduction (maybe a 128 GB SSD will suffice?). I will only be using this PC for musicproduction but will need an ethernet connection for updating my software.

I work on Win7 64x, use an audio interface and mostly work with VST's aside from a guitar and a mic. I'm planning on buying Kontakt in the future so that's why I decided on the amount of RAM and a 3rd HDD.

This is my list:

Intel Core i7 4770K Boxed
Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Seasonic G-Serie 550Watt
Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 (2x8 GB)
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB SSD
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. A Processor cooler
Seagate SV35.5 ST2000VX000, 2TB (x2)
Samsung SH-224BB Zwart

This setup will cost me € 1.072,- euros excluding sending the parts.

If interested here's a link to my setup. Just choose 'DAW PC final' to see all the specs of the components: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm planning on overclocking my CPU to a safe limit of 4,2-4,3 GHz as the Haswell tends to get pretty hot. The cooler I choose is one of the few I could find in this pricerange being directly compatible with the new 1150 socket and produces 17dB which is acceptable but I would like some confirmation whether this model will be sufficient for the overclock.

I chose the case casue of it's size, it's acoustic treatment and the ability to regulate the fans.

The RAM has a CAS latency of 9 which was the lowest I could find in this pricerange. I might be willing to pay a little more if latency could be reduced to 7 although I'm unsure if this will be necessary. Any words on that are also welcome.

As I won't be buying an additional GPU since there's a pretty decent one onboard the Haswell I think 550 Watt for the Powersupply is more than enough.

The SSD is the best bang for the buck at this moment. I have thought about the Samsung 8400 which is quite popular but the trace-based benchmarks show a decrease of about 20-30% when the disk gets full, probably because of the tlc memory and opposed to the pro version which I find to be too espensive.

The 2 2TB HHD's I chose for their pirce. I never had any problems with Seagate although I dont't know much about this series. I hesitated to buy one extra SSD for my samples but I would probably need 500 GB in the future and that's way too expensive for me.

As for the DVD writer I simply chose the cheapest.

I excluded the keyboard/mouse and monitor. I want a 27 inch monitor and I will search for a used one on marketplace to keep down the costs and I need to feel the mouse and keyboard so I will buy this in an actual shop and not online.

Feel free to shoot but please only in a constructive way. I know you probably have a different case or so which is also nice but unless you can explain why it is better then my choice please refrain as I don't want this thread to be a populairity contest.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward on your thoughts about this setup.

Advertisements

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Spiritos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565480
Thanked 7,491 Times in 5,290 Posts
Re: Some feedback on my new to build setup

Honestly, this will be more than enough power for your music projects, I'm sure. It's probably overkill!

As for component compatibility I'd try googling around for that. When I built my studio desktop it only took me like half an hour to check and double sources on that.

I can only comment on the RAM and say that I've used Corsair Vengeance RAM for the last two computers I built and wasn't disappointed.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

The product list looks pretty good for a dedicated DAW. The only thing I can think of quickly is to make sure your case is wide enough for the cooler.It's a tall one as most none liquids are.For around the same price as the HR-02 you could get an H-60 or even H-80 (on sale) and just go liquid. Plus you open the center of your case for better airflow over the mainboard and other components and keeps those MOSFETs nice n cool.Have built DAWs for a living and yours will preform just fine even without any OC. 3.5 out of the box plus hyper thread will work on its own. I wouldnt worry too much about the CAS you won't see much of a real world (non benchmark)difference due the FSB of your Main board is quick and the North bridge preforms nicely.The only change i would suggest is maybe to up your PSU just a touch.I Try not to run anything less than a 650 80+ bronze to give a little headroom for expansion ( and doesn't cost that much).

Great build!!...

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
Spiritos (16-06-2013)
Old 16-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Spiritos
Ghostly
Spiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritos has a reputation beyond repute
Amsterdam

Thanks! I realised the possible limitations regarding the case -especially since it has foam- so I decided to go for some low profile RAM instead. Maybe this will save me some space. I looked for watercooling as the H-100i is on sale now but somehow I still don't trust watercoolers plus I think air tends to be more quit (although I never used watercooling myself so it's just from what I've read).

You're probably right about the PSU. I wanted to keep down the costs but eventually performance will drop in years and I don't want to come in a tight spot. Will see if there are any good offers.

------------------
Win8.1 64x/Sonar X3/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC 222/Washburn D12/Behringer BCF2000 & BCF2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT2020/2xB5/Sennheiser E 825s/Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502
Thanks to Spiritos
Str8Jaketed (17-06-2013)
Old 17-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritos View Post
Thanks! I realised the possible limitations regarding the case -especially since it has foam- so I decided to go for some low profile RAM instead. Maybe this will save me some space. I looked for watercooling as the H-100i is on sale now but somehow I still don't trust watercoolers plus I think air tends to be more quit (although I never used watercooling myself so it's just from what I've read).

You're probably right about the PSU. I wanted to keep down the costs but eventually performance will drop in years and I don't want to come in a tight spot. Will see if there are any good offers.

The H100i is a great unit !.the self contained units are very quiet. less than .25to .5 sonne...Air works pretty well and when done right is nice and silent also..pick which way you want to go positive or negative pressure and roll..Good luck on your build.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

i'd recommend to go to quietpc.com and get a completely 100% silent computer with no moving parts whatsoever instead. they've got some real powerhouse components there as well.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Spiritos
Ghostly
Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
i'd recommend to go to quietpc.com and get a completely 100% silent computer with no moving parts whatsoever instead. they've got some real powerhouse components there as well.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Yeah I contemplated on going with a DAW-builder but here in the Netherlands there are only a few and after contacting one I questioned some of his choices already plus it'll cost me about 200-300 euros more.

Although it would be nice to have one build, get the warranty and avoiding possible frustrations with DPC latency or defect components it could (and I hope) be a rewarding experience to once build it myself

Advertisements

------------------