Scales... all I need?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 29-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
swoephowx
Minor Glitch
swoephowx is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon5 Scales... all I need?

I once heard the only really useful thing of music theory are scales (major, minor, blues, etc).

Basically, with them, you can create melodies and chords, based on the scale you're working with.

Is it true?

Advertisements

swoephowx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390248
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Scales... all I need?

The latter, yes.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222285184
Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,778 Posts

who said you even need them

ears is all you need

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Feral_P
Radial Developer
Feral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MCFeral_P is a savage MC
MC Status: 967577

They're probably the most useful thing, but I'd also recommend at least knowledge of functional harmony (tonic, dominant, predominant). Personally, I like to know as much as possible, and in fact I find most of my inspiration comes from new (to me) music theory ideas. I also find it speeds up the trial-and-error process, because I know what usually works and what doesn't.

Not to say I always strictly stick to music theory, but knowledge of the rules means you can break them more effectively
Feral_P is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45979598
Thanked 1,475 Times in 1,104 Posts

I'd say learn foreign scales while your at it:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

chords are just scale portions

Last edited by Br/ainfu+ked; 29-01-2012 at 11:57 PM..

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222285184
Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,778 Posts

dont forget atonal scales

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Like this question is... I dont know.

What is it?

No its not the only useful thing.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
limitedarts
IDMf's latest spammer
limitedarts is currently spamming hard

I do so.. It works fine Saved so much time ... and rest is ears

i start with a special key or some notes and than try to build something .. I know i have something, if i had an eargasm

Last edited by limitedarts; 31-01-2012 at 12:35 AM..
limitedarts is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Sleevedace
Analog Lurker
Sleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MCSleevedace is a savage MC
Melton Mowbray
MC Status: 145844

The more you learn of anything generally comes with diminishing returns.

You spend a little while learning some harmony to back said scales up, maybe learning how to derive the chords from the scale then cool, your productions would probably get a little more advanced. Try it out, if you don't like using theory, then abandon it.

------------------

Sleevedace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269487108
Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,148 Posts

Don't take my word for it as I'm no expert, nor the most "musical" person on the forum, but this is my personal experience.
I've tried learning to play the piano traditionally, scales first, then some songs.
I've noticed some improvements in my skills, but I found it overly boring and dull and killed piano for me.

Then recently I decided to try a different approach, I stumbled upon a book called Play Piano in a flash, which suggested a different approach, learn how to read notes on a sheet, find a song you like on lead sheet, learn the chords to that song, play the melody with the right hand.

Maybe not the best way to learn, but I noticed that this, together with that little theory I knew, really helped me improve.
And as a side effect made me like the piano again.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Eyetooth
Knob Twiddler
Eyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 4109613

Scales are all you need until you need to do something with them...

For writing, words are all you need!
Eyetooth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
Paulo666
Minor Glitch
Paulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MCPaulo666 is a savage MC
MC Status: 78664

If you were to make music in a box, sealed off from the rest of the world and all of its information, and could only bring one piece of musical knowledge with you to build on for the rest of your life, then maybe scales would be the thing to know.
In the real world, I think a more practical thing to know would be how to learn make basic major and minor chords (they form 2 different shapes; it is EASY). This would let you learn to play the chords for any song you like, teaching you what chords sound good together, which would basically lead you to knowing scales without having studied them to begin with. Even if you just knew how to make chords and just experimented to find which ones sound good together, it still seems like it would be more useful overall than just learning scales and then figuring out what chords are in them, etc. That's basically how I learned music. When I studied theory, years into playing, it just filled in some gaps in the knowledge I had built by playing. I think it's kind of a mistake to study theory from the beginning. Just learn to play what you like and it will gradually fall into place, piece by piece.
Paulo666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
SPRAI
Regular Freak
SPRAI is currently spamming hard
Verona

scales are just a skelethon to start with. like a map. like if you say: ok, i m here, i wanna go there. that s what scales are useful for
SPRAI is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Eyetooth
Knob Twiddler
Eyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MCEyetooth is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 4109613

To add to this: scales are kind of a classic example of "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing." You can leave scale, but without other knowledge it's hard to know when.

Aside from, obviously, "when it sounds good."
Eyetooth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
mote.
Microknight
mote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MCmote. is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 3827749

Don't forget pentatonic scales and modes.

------------------
mote. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
SMC
Minor Glitch
SMC is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyetooth View Post
Scales are all you need until you need to do something with them...

For writing, words are all you need!
Woooord
You should never limit yourself! Usage is key. Scales are just the tip of the iceberg.

Advertisements

------------------
SMC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote