Boards of Canada - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #41
spaceman
Soundscaper
spaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MC
A Yank in Vanc(ouver)
MC Status: 573989
Re: Boards of Canada

I just got a tee for BoC so I can rock my love and fanboyism all around town. This is how I am expecting the typical conversation to go:

"What's Boards of Canada?"
"They're an electronic music group from Scotland."
"Like techno?"
"No, they aren't really techno. Techno is actually a subgenre of electronic music-"
"Well I like music where people actually pay instruments."

Fuck 'em. BoC is unbelievably expressive music.

Advertisements

spaceman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #42
Bavik
IDMf's latest spammer
Bavik will become famous soon enough
NC
MC Status: 52

Just play Dayvan Cowboy for somebody curious like that. The guitar won't put them off as quick so they may be willing to check out more songs.
Bavik is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #43
jakobcreutzfeldt
Ghostly
jakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MC
MC Status: 61112557

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I just got a tee for BoC so I can rock my love and fanboyism all around town. This is how I am expecting the typical conversation to go:

"What's Boards of Canada?"
"They're an electronic music group from Scotland."
"Like techno?"
"No, they aren't really techno. Techno is actually a subgenre of electronic music-"
"Well I like music where people actually pay instruments."

Fuck 'em. BoC is unbelievably expressive music.
Tell them Boards of Canada actually play instruments too. Then tell them to kindly go fuck themselves.
jakobcreutzfeldt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #44
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052441
Thanked 7,702 Times in 4,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavik View Post
Just play Dayvan Cowboy for somebody curious like that. The guitar won't put them off as quick so they may be willing to check out more songs.
Why would you want to dupe someone into liking something...?

Unless you think that they`re opinion is irrelevant but they just haven`t realised yet and one day they`ll thank you for pointing out their obvious failings.

If you play some music to someone and they don`t like it so what?
Does that have any impact on you?

Just say fair enough and move onto the next subject.

For the record i think they`re ok, good production though.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #45
Bavik
IDMf's latest spammer
Bavik will become famous soon enough
NC
MC Status: 52

Not really tricking anybody I just think stuff from tch is more accessible for somebody who is used to listening to guitar based bands.
Bavik is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #46
mattt
IDMf Artist
mattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4132

Music has the right to children is my favourite album of theirs. It is tight between that and Geogaddi.

------------------
mattt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #47
JaniR
IDMf's #1 N00b
JaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MCJaniR is a savage MC
MC Status: 32538

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobcreutzfeldt View Post
Tell them Boards of Canada actually play instruments too. Then tell them to kindly go fuck themselves.
Yep. I hate it when people assume that electronic music is all about just pressing a button and the track is ready.

"Music Is Math" and "You Could Feel The Sky" are easily my top favorites by BoC. However I really like their sound in other tracks too.
JaniR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #48
Northcape
Granular Poster
Northcape is currently spamming hard
Warwickshire
MC Status: 11

They've been my favourite band ever since I discovered MHTRTC. There's actually nothing I've heard from them that I don't like. Definitely my biggest musical inspiration. But I'm not Tycho so I don't try to copy them.

I've got the T-shirt as well

------------------
Northcape: melodic electronica/ ambient/ IDM
http://www.northcapemusic.co.uk
'Exploration and Ascent' now out on Sun Sea Sky
http://www.sunseasky.com
Northcape is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #49
BrianGreen
Granular Poster
BrianGreen will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 73

they arent playing anymore from what i hear at least for some time cause richard devine told me he was playing a gig out in cali and they wer asked to play and were offered 120'000$ and said they wernt playing for awhile and turned it down.
BrianGreen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #50
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052441
Thanked 7,702 Times in 4,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreen View Post
they arent playing anymore from what i hear at least for some time cause richard devine told me he was playing a gig out in cali and they wer asked to play and were offered 120'000$ and said they wernt playing for awhile and turned it down.

Brian i doubt RD would really appreciate you name-droppping him online to let us all know that he has a bit of a loose tongue when it comes to other people`s business contracts.

Think about it if you really are his friend.

Not cool.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #51
spaceman
Soundscaper
spaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MC
A Yank in Vanc(ouver)

Oh snap.
Old 22-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #52
zoomtheline
Radial Developer
zoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MCzoomtheline is a savage MC
MC Status: 1459620

I take it all the early stuff and live bootlegs have done the rounds here?

I actually think I prefer the Boc Maxima version of MHTRTC

Chinook and everything you do is a balloon are awesome (and of course Roygbiv which goes without saying)

------------------
zoomtheline is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #53
Slyjoker
Soundscaper
Slyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of light
Chicago
MC Status: 488

I instantly fell in love with Roygbiv. The entire fuzzy sound which reminds me of old soundtracks brings about some warm, blurry, happy feeling inside of me. It is truly bizarre but I love every minute of it. I put on some BOC and get lost in their soundscapes.

Sometimes the "beat" throws me off but I love it. I hear all of you ranting and raving about MHTRTC and I DON'T HAVE IT. Le sigh

Turquoise Hexagonal Sun is one of my favorite "rainy day tracks." Music to me is about complimenting (or sometimes contradicting) my surrounding atmosphere and its mood. BOC capture a very special sound that makes them the legends that they are.

Just my 2.3 yen.
Slyjoker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #54
Slyjoker
Soundscaper
Slyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of lightSlyjoker is a glorious beacon of light
Chicago
MC Status: 488

Ooops... double post.
Slyjoker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #55
mattt
IDMf Artist
mattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond reputemattt has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4132

Olson and Pete Standing Alone are an incredible pair of tracks

------------------
mattt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #56
spaceman
Soundscaper
A Yank in Vanc(ouver)

does anyone have play by numbers by any chance?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #57
Rorykorg
Soundscaper
Rorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MCRorykorg is a savage MC
MC Status: 179250

Its impossible to get the real thing
Rorykorg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #58
Xero
Knob Twiddler
Xero will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 81

Ever since I heard The Campfire Headphase, I've been loving BoC more than ever. I can't stop listening to that album. It's so...awesome. I mainly listen to it when I feel like relaxing on my bed or when I had a bad day at work.

------------------
~Xero~
Xero is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #59
spaceman
Soundscaper
A Yank in Vanc(ouver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
Ever since I heard The Campfire Headphase, I've been loving BoC more than ever. I can't stop listening to that album. It's so...awesome. I mainly listen to it when I feel like relaxing on my bed or when I had a bad day at work.
It's like opium, cept without the addiction, open, festering sores, shared infected needles, and other such delights.
Old 19-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #60
Xero
Knob Twiddler
Xero will become famous soon enough
Montreal
MC Status: 81

Basically, yeah.

Advertisements

------------------
~Xero~