Aphex Twin's SYRO - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #41
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 249551787
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts
Re: Aphex Twin's SYRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
I guess i'm still confused but in my experience, especially reading ridiculous reviews like pitchfork, people seem to like everything an artist ever does and it's like when Homer Simpson became the food critic and said, "I give this my lowest rating ever, nine thumbs up!"

I consider Aphex Twin one of my favorites because in my top 5 tracks of all time he has 2 entries, and another 1 or maybe 2 in my top 20... but I actually outright dislike maybe 2/3 of the stuff he's ever made. And in my experience I'm some sort of weirdo for this.
Alright because I suppose it was vague I'm just going to clear up that I was being entirely facetious about the old coke new coke thing.

I'm just so used to hearing people say things like "I only like old marilyn manson" or what have you. Both posts were meant to be in humor.

Advertisements

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #42
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53410
Thanked 1,068 Times in 764 Posts

i liked MGMT when they were still only on myspace
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #43
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Alright because I suppose it was vague I'm just going to clear up that I was being entirely facetious about the old coke new coke thing.

I'm just so used to hearing people say things like "I only like old marilyn manson" or what have you. Both posts were meant to be in humor.
Lol I was leaning towards suspecting that but wasn't sure (obv). And the part I thought you were serious about was not what I'm talking about but rather that "I only liked this band before they were cooool"

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #44
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i liked MGMT when they were still only on myspace
i liked Smashing Pumpkins beore Billy Corgan was born

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #45
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799

I'm really enjoying Syro. In a way, it's almost like a "best of" in the sense that there's stuff that's more accessible (for Aphex anyway) but balanced out with crazier experimental stuff. If anything, I believe it's the album he wanted to make because we're talking about a guy who really gives no fucks about what's expected of him or what would put him on the top 40 charts. He's an artist through and through and even if I don't always like what he puts out, I can recognize the artistic value in it because he's built up a legacy of credibility over the years.

As far as him getting nominated for a Grammy and such, we shouldn't really be surprised. You have longtime electronic artists like Daft Punk finally getting nods from "the academy" now that they're in their twilight years. Aphex has been a fixture in electronic music for decades, and him choosing to release a new album at a time when EDM is the thing, it makes sense that the Grammys would wise up and throw something his way.
DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DoctaMario
PROton42 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #46
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052441
Thanked 7,702 Times in 4,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
i liked Smashing Pumpkins beore Billy Corgan was born
I liked Smashing Pumpkins when crunchy guitar riffs was my thing.
Then I got into some other stuff while he went into hiding, shaved his head and wrote that double album of tragic wank where he kind of lost me.
Then he got bored of crunchy guitar riffs too and got into modulars.
Is that allowed?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #47
RAN
Minor Glitch
RAN is a jewel in the roughRAN is a jewel in the roughRAN is a jewel in the roughRAN is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Let it grow on me , hopefully some good memories will get attached to it and a few years from now I'll get a warm nostalgic feeling listening to it
RAN is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #48
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31560

You know Aphex Twin gets his albums mastered, right?
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #49
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Just so you guys know, he's on record basically saying he's releasing his most accessible album first and then each release will get more experimental. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint, if you want to make the most money and make music all along the spectrum, you release your easy to digest stuff first, then move along to the harder stuff. The fact that everything is fairly straightforward on Syro says a lot about how much he'll be releasing in the near future.

1. It's at least 2 albums / 2 EPs since he's said he'll be releasing a couple of albums and a couple of EPs

2. He's contacted the first company that been released his records, R&S records or something like that. He's only releasing Saw 1 and 2 on there I believe and he's on record recently for saying he's been trying to put together a collection of tracks for another ambient record... might be why he contacted them. Though he might be looking for a way to release more in a shorter period of time since he's also on record recently for saying that he ideally would like to release something new every few weeks until he's done.

3. We won't see record number 2 until at least January, Warp told him this.

All this info is from recent interviews. Thought it was interesting information. Looks like there will be a new Aphex release every few months until he's out of stuff or gets tired of releasing.

The End. Fin.

Last edited by Evoava; 09-12-2014 at 12:12 PM..

------------------
Some IDM for the IDM forum

Me Soundclewd
Evoava is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evoava
DoctaMario (10-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #50
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

------------------
Thanks to PROton42
DoctaMario (10-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #51
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute

Man he was really into having annoying high pitched stuff in his tracks back in the mid 90s. That's definitely the worst though.

Like these tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgTnqgaslXU

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pzTGolXgS0

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Thanks to Evoava
PROton42 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #52
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoava View Post
Man he was really into having annoying high pitched stuff in his tracks back in the mid 90s. That's definitely the best though.
Fixed.

Ghyt used to have a bent delay pedal that reminded me of Mookid.

------------------
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #53
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF
MC Status: 7104577

Aphex is the boss!

------------------
bandcamp | soundcloud | tumblr | twitter

Like my facebook page for a free album code.
cirric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #54
Evoava
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Fixed.

Ghyt used to have a bent delay pedal that reminded me of Mookid.
To be honest it more annoys me that I can't listen to ventolin over 50% of my volume if I don't want the tinnitus to go from the speakers into my ears and stay.

Gees I'm tired.

Mookid is great. I can actually listen to it on high.

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Thanks to Evoava
PROton42 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #55
PROton42
IDMf Artist

Ventolin is definitely the endurance tester. I grew up with a lot of really aggro industrial, ebm and harsh noise so Ventolin is chilled right out in comparison.

------------------
Old 09-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #56
Evoava
Sample Destroyer

Quote:
Ventolin is definitely the endurance tester. I grew up with a lot of really aggro industrial, ebm and harsh noise so Ventolin is chilled right out in comparison.
I supooose but the only issue with ventolin really is that single f'n pitch, not the higher pitched lead sound at all. I guess I could just EQ it myself and listen to it at 100%.

The perfect example of the perfect level of tolerance for me is exactly 4:36 in Ziggomatic, that pitch sits RIGHT at the threshold between awesome and annoying with what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926fiS2kvt8

------------------

Me Soundclewd
Thanks to Evoava
PROton42 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #57
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF
MC Status: 7104577

I used to have an inhaler/asthma too. So ventolin definitely evokes familiar feelings. It's always nice to know you're buddies with your own immune system.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, Aphex is the coolest.

------------------
bandcamp | soundcloud | tumblr | twitter

Like my facebook page for a free album code.
cirric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #58
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I liked Smashing Pumpkins when crunchy guitar riffs was my thing.
Then I got into some other stuff while he went into hiding, shaved his head and wrote that double album of tragic wank where he kind of lost me.
Then he got bored of crunchy guitar riffs too and got into modulars.
Is that allowed?
The Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite bands due to my love of the albums up to and including Adore. Also, though I love Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, I don't think it was wank, but I also don't think it should have been a double album. I know it's common to complain about double albums with that exact complaint, but as a tighter album it would likely be one of my favorites of all time. Especially, given the strength of the singles from that album. Ah well, he did what he wanted and it's not that bad, in my opinion. I love it for what it is, even if I often end up skipping around the tracklisting.

I haven't really gotten into any of their albums since Billy Corgan got the project going again with Zeitgeist. Which shouldn't make sense, as it's always been "his band", but there it is. Perhaps it's a case of hubris or getting too comfortable, or whatever. It just doesn't appeal to me the same way that the older material does. However, feeling underwhelmed by the newer material has done nothing to diminish the love I have for those earlier albums, and I don't expect it to either.

Weird too that it's being brought up, as I've been listening to them again, a lot lately. Still absolutely love it.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #59
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoava View Post
I supooose but the only issue with ventolin really is that single f'n pitch, not the higher pitched lead sound at all. I guess I could just EQ it myself and listen to it at 100%.

The perfect example of the perfect level of tolerance for me is exactly 4:36 in Ziggomatic, that pitch sits RIGHT at the threshold between awesome and annoying with what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926fiS2kvt8
Richard James has a troll side and Ventolin is definitely proof of that!

Gotta say though, after listening to Syro more, especially the back half of the record, it's REALLY nice to hear some old-school drum n bass again.
DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DoctaMario
PROton42 (10-12-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #60
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744052441
Thanked 7,702 Times in 4,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
The Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favorite bands due to my love of the albums up to and including Adore. Also, though I love Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, I don't think it was wank, but I also don't think it should have been a double album. I know it's common to complain about double albums with that exact complaint, but as a tighter album it would likely be one of my favorites of all time. Especially, given the strength of the singles from that album. Ah well, he did what he wanted and it's not that bad, in my opinion. I love it for what it is, even if I often end up skipping around the tracklisting.

I haven't really gotten into any of their albums since Billy Corgan got the project going again with Zeitgeist. Which shouldn't make sense, as it's always been "his band", but there it is. Perhaps it's a case of hubris or getting too comfortable, or whatever. It just doesn't appeal to me the same way that the older material does. However, feeling underwhelmed by the newer material has done nothing to diminish the love I have for those earlier albums, and I don't expect it to either.

Weird too that it's being brought up, as I've been listening to them again, a lot lately. Still absolutely love it.
Nah, you're right man, it's probably not that bad at all, I was just kind of using it to highlight my point really.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote