Whats your production method?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
radiowaves
Savage Mad Cunt
radiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MC
MC Status: 24505865
Whats your production method?

This interests me bechause I can never decide which production method to approach. Especially when you deal with many fields in life, each field requiring different methods of work composition. Some things need to have ending first, other things are just done from start to finis etc.

So how do you actually compose your tracks? Do you compose at all?

Do you make a nice intro and just build up gradually from that? Or you make the middle climax first and build your track around that? Or make some other key points and compose them together?

Do you write melody first and then compose everything together? Or melody is not that important and is more of a "filler" so it can be made middle way through?

Advertisements

------------------
radiowaves is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
elendro
Knob Twiddler
elendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MCelendro is a savage MC
MC Status: 2022890
Re: Whats your production method?

Depends.

Sometimes i begin with a drum/perc line, try to add some bass / pads / melody / chords, with the sounds i make the main part of the song, then deconstruct it, and arrange it. Ok sometimes i begin with a melodic instrument, not the drums. Or i know i want to include a sample, i build around it.

Sometimes i try to start with an intro, but usually these songs never get finished, as i have the problem building them up.

Then mostly i just open my DAW, and mess around (what happens if i tweek this n that, add this here etc), and if something good happens, and i have some good results, i might try to arrange that.

------------------
elendro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283284
Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,760 Posts

i usually start with some chords, it's the logical start for me because it's the DNA for all the other parts of the track if you get me

then from there probably a bass or a lead, if i go lead first then bass follows closely after

once i have a good enough base for a track i usually get some drums down so i can build upon those rhythms later with more content

starting with an intro is a terrible idea in my opinion, i make the parts for the main bit of the song and usually fill in the rest after

i dont usually sequence until i have most of the parts done.

i used to always start with the drums because when i had the drums out of the way i felt i could go on and make the track without worrying about them. now i make the drums once i have the idea of the track so they can fit nicely with the melodic content

hope this is what you wanted

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

I usually start with either an idea I have in my head or just randomly jamming, making noises and sounds, recording samples, playing instruments and singing. Then, once I have something that I really like, I start to work from that, usually incorporating riffs/ideas/samples from recent jams and explorations.

I try to do the structure and arrangement in a way that shows the main element/hook in the best light, so it's a bit different every time. But usually I try to get two dynamically (and sometimes harmonically) different main parts (chorus and verse, if you like) flowing into each other. If that's working nicely, then the main problems are solved. Intros/bridges/breaks/fills/outros are all easy to derive from the body of the song.

Though, the best songs are the ones that come automatically, without thinking about structure, arrangement, mixing etc. You just know all the time what you are supposed to do next. This state of mind is really hard to achieve for me, but it's an amazing feeling.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571251

i just plug my midi keyboard and slam it in the DAW :d

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
jdoost123
Analog Lurker
jdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MCjdoost123 is a savage MC
MC Status: 135045

Usually start off with developing my drums and percussion then I play around with melodies and chord progressions until I get either one sounding good and build from there. If you ask me there are no rules to starting, try experimenting with different techniques, i.e. Bass first, Chord Progression first, etc.
jdoost123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

i start either with drums or synths , then bass then different layers/variations to get a strong/ok beat , i try to make the intro from that beat

but it really depend on what i want to do , i do that when i dont have any specific goal , i started some songs in a more classical way , intro/verse ect ... for some ambient stuff , i think its somehow down to the style that you wanna work on

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
Delinquent Dialect
Sample Destroyer
Delinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MCDelinquent Dialect is a savage MC
Unregistered's music is self indulgent nonesense!
MC Status: 25172146

I use a combination of some of Mandelbrot's ideas mixed with Pythagorus.

...and then I break the rules depending on a few of my own.

------------------
<< dont listen >>
if ( mind == open ) {""}
Latest vinyl "Purging the Pious" EP from Earwiggle Records https://www.facebook.com/earwigglelabel
Delinquent Dialect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
OnyxNecron
Analog Lurker
OnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MCOnyxNecron is a savage MC
The Basemet of Eternal Darkness
MC Status: 134731

I usually start a song with the drums or a building up synths that is either the lead or the bass, more generally the lead. The I add the rest then the bass with another glitchy sound. I then drop the lead and just leave the bass and the beat + the glitchy sounds (maybe a pad or some chords?) Then I implicate the drop making a huge dirty crushed bass and a quick heavy beat. After the drop I start slowing down and put the lead back in and take the bass out. After I slow down again quite a bit I drop a second time then end the song. Yea pretty basic dubstep layout :E

------------------

I've made dubstep in Audacity.
OnyxNecron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
koyote prime
Minor Glitch
koyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MCkoyote prime is a savage MC
MC Status: 4808007

it depends on the genre and the most prominent theme of the song.

drums to establish rhythmic cadence and character...the basix...after that I will improve on it later in the process...but that is for me the most important...after all...pads and melodies help you dance....percussion MAKES you dance.

in regards to bass or chords, they definitely need to be related, the includes the snare and the kick and the hats...they along need to be related to the chords found in the song.

when dealing with singing vocals. I find the key that is being sung...that is crucial.

the reason I do this is that I love to experiment and get messy....but I need these foundation elements ready and available in the composition in order to optimize the happy accident effect.

without chords, basslines, and vocals having a clear relationship...your elements tend to have a hit or miss result. and it takes more time to have something feel good.

after that it depends on you and your knowledge on each aspect of your song...ie, not just strings, WHAT KIND OF STRINGS?

Not just Bass, but what type of bass frequency(sub bass, harmonic or percussive, etc)

once these basics are set up as seperate yet synergetic entities, you can then layer them transpose them, adjust timing...or peel back to one of the fundamental aspects of the song...in order to bring it to the forefront. coffee tea and smoke breaks this is also a great time to work on the patches/samples that make each sound.

and keep going...enjoy what you do and always try to apply things that you learn or pickup on from other music...ask yourself if it makes you get out of your chair.

stay rested and when you wake up review your efforts...this is important...sometimes you can take an idea too far.

essentially what I try to do is get 80% of the song done with 20% of my effort that goes into the song.
koyote prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
New Alchemy
Granular Poster
New Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MCNew Alchemy is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 1541637

What I do is I always loop usually around 4 - 16 bars and keep adding elements and fine tuning until I get

the sounds that I want mixed properly (this will usually be the tension release or "drop" in the song). I

then proceed to build the rest of my song around that loop. Most of the time, I also have separate

progressions for different parts of the song. When I make things like trance or other mainstream dance

music, I usually follow a pretty simple song structure (ex. Intro - Buildup - Drop - Buildup - Drop - Outro),

but when I make IDM, Indie dance, or any other various non linear forms of music, I always follow a

progressive format. What I really enjoy doing in IDM is having a song based around separate movements

that have a central theme.
New Alchemy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
MTee
Learning The Ropes
MTee is currently spamming hard
Denver, CO
MC Status: 10

Hmmm, I suppose organization helps...
MTee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #13
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA
MC Status: 21834366

I pretty much jerk off in my DAW until I get something cool and then jerk off some more until I get cool things that go with that...

Then I take a break and jerk off.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbledecker View Post
Rewriter's advice on listening to the track in the car is sage and godly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
rewriter made me cry once when i was drunk lol
rewriter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
Phantom07
Sample Destroyer
Phantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom07 has a reputation beyond repute
Pearland, Texas
MC Status: 2008

well avoiding anatomical toys and focusing more on the programs at my disposal I tend to synthesize sounds in FL studio and either further modify them in Live or simply aggregate them together using that program. But I must agree if I do come across something that sounds really cool I reward myself, not always anatomically though I can get someone else to execute that task for me .
Phantom07 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
SPRAI
Regular Freak
SPRAI is currently spamming hard
Verona

progressive dance music: i usually put some chord and beat together trying to make a cool loop wich will be the main mood of the track. then reduce it a bit, to make the "verse" etc.

songs: i write the lyrics, i sing the melody in my mind and choose the chords in Cmaj scale (usually with the guitar), then i put the chords into the daw, and then i start choosing sounds etc

then i transpose the scale from C to something else to sing it
SPRAI is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318489
Thanked 1,007 Times in 794 Posts

I usually begin with drums and or synth(s) so after that is established, I will loop them and experiment around with other sounds to try and fit them in nice and tight.(Samples and fx are usually added lastly but not leastly) And at times I will create a huge synth melody and add layers onto it, in which case my drum sequence will be added at the end of the process.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
riot in london
Regular Freak
riot in london is currently spamming hard
London

It varies with me. I mean it can start off with a drum loop sample or a short bass sample and then work around from that, making them the core of the music. It depends on how i feel at the time. I've recently got back into producing electronic music. I started using the MC909, then added a cheap yamaha mid keyboard to play the MC909 from it, then added Audacity to my PC. Only yesterday purchased a used Akai MPK25 mid controller complete with Ableton live lite professional edition. So the options for me now are virtually endless. I prefer the Akai for liveplay, its awesome, and straight away after loading a program on the MC909, i got to grips with changing the sounds on it using the Akai. New ideas have emerged on new projects. Usually its drums and bassline, then samples and if video is included in the project, tehn i take into consideration how th emusic will flow with the video. On youtube we did a kinda dubelectronic bit of music for recent events in London. The channel is RiotinlondonW1. Check it out sometime. At the moment are only 2 track, but hoping to get more. For me, the inclusion of videos is important too.
riot in london is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378867

I usually just try and make a sick, dirty Dubstep bass and then turn in a completely different direction that usually falls into the style I seem to make the most. So many of my tracks are failed Dupstep bass experiments.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #19
SPRAI
Regular Freak
SPRAI is currently spamming hard
Verona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
I usually just try and make a sick, dirty Dubstep bass and then turn in a completely different direction that usually falls into the style I seem to make the most. So many of my tracks are failed Dupstep bass experiments.
Yeah tried yesterday and happened exactly the same. i always fail at making dubstep, falling in some other styles!
SPRAI is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
RootlessMarker
Learning The Ropes
RootlessMarker is currently spamming hard

Using everyone. but I love saw bass

Advertisements

RootlessMarker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote