Beat Battle - General Discussion
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles Beat Battle's happen here.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11499654
Thanked 1,244 Times in 908 Posts
Beat Battle - General Discussion

Hey all, I'm making this thread as a singular point for general BB discussion, ideas, suggestions, ways to improve, complaints, future of the Beat Battles, etc.

Advertisements

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
Even Unregistered can compete in the latest BEAT BATTLE!!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 38210
Re: Beat Battle - General Discussion

Nice.

So, I was reading your post in the other thread, and I realize thatI misunderstood what you meant. I actually don’t like the idea of having a recurring sample pool as a backup of sorts. While it might be handy, I think it goes against the spirit of the beat battle. It’s a battle, it’s supposed to be a little brutal the excitement and challenge in finding out what i have to work with is a big part of the appeal for me.

I was suggesting that we have the sample packs be created by everyone instead of just one person, but still have it be new each time. That way, worst case scenario we’ll probably have at least a few varied samples per round.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

I hear what you're saying, and I agree. Perhaps I should clarify what I'm saying... I agree that the pack should be made from contributed samples. There would still be a battle host, but the samples are all submitted by the participants. PrimRily, those will be the ONLY samples we can use. Where the base pack would come into play, or it could just be previous sample packs, is in the event nobody submits any samples. Then, we will have the best battle server up loaded with samples to maybe assemble something as a fall back. Users will generate content, unless in the event that no one generates anything, in which case we can dig into the archive/backup libraries.

------------------
"I imagine for something like that you'd need a rather large number of microphones"

I/O_Madness
Old 02-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Really this is a smaller point just in extreme/dire situations that helps the host from having to put together a sample pack on their own when no one submits.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Also, I thought this thread would be a nice place for these types of discussions.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
7asid (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #6
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Here's a link for the thread requesting the mods to change the freakin' sidebar. Keep posting until we results! (the old sidebar links an old beat battle thread, which was set up for us, AND it was supposed to be updated regularly, which has never been done to my memory, but in any case, we'd much rather just like it to link the the beat battle subforum, so people can find the beat battles easier).

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
7asid (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:38 AM   #7
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750093

I think to some degree the forum is how it is. Of course I could be totally wrong.

And while I've only contributed to the BB's here and there, I would say a compromise would be previous samples untouched or touched by the winner of x BB could pick out multiple samples over multiple BBs to lessen the new sourcing of it all.

I k ow when I did make stuff, my actual sample library died with an old HDD, I wouldn't have been able to supply new stuff readily or easily. I actually would have just sourced from my own projects but they could be garbo.

I do like this thread idea because ideas can be spewed over multiple BBs more concisely as I'm sure many of us drop the old tgreads pretty quickly.

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #8
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

i dunno.. i still think we should just have new sample packs every time. having great samples isn't even the point. just throw in a couple of random loops you have lying around, a couple of one shots, maybe a synth line you recorded once that you're never gonna do anything with and an mp3 rip of a youtube video. Donezo... piece of cake
Old 13-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I think we're both arguing the same point here...

This is really a minor implementation detail, and I don't want to hold this up any more than it has already. I'm much more interested in getting this idea in motion.

Which brings me to the timeline of the beat battles:
  1. The samples should be assembled before the beat battle has been started, that is, before the rules have been laid down.
  2. The beat battle host then will create the rules, and the sample pack will be open.
  3. Participants will use provided samples to create a track. In addition, they will be asked to upload 3-4 samples of their own.
  4. After tracks have been submitted, the voting commences. Votes should probably be due a day or so before the next battle, in order to organize the uploaded samples into a new pack, and allow for the new host to decide on rules for the next battle.
  5. The new host then creates the new battle with a link to the new sample pack, starting the next beat battle.

I'm thinking we keep the 11 days to make the track. The two days after will be held for voting. Samples will be due by the end of the voting period. Then, on the 14th and final day, the new host creates the next beat battle.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
mnkvolcno (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I think we're both arguing the same point here...

This is really a minor implementation detail, and I don't want to hold this up any more than it has already. I'm much more interested in getting this idea in motion.

Which brings me to the timeline of the beat battles:
  1. The samples should be assembled before the beat battle has been started, that is, before the rules have been laid down.
  2. The beat battle host then will create the rules, and the sample pack will be open.
  3. Participants will use provided samples to create a track. In addition, they will be asked to upload 3-4 samples of their own.
  4. After tracks have been submitted, the voting commences. Votes should probably be due a day or so before the next battle, in order to organize the uploaded samples into a new pack, and allow for the new host to decide on rules for the next battle.
  5. The new host then creates the new battle with a link to the new sample pack, starting the next beat battle.

I'm thinking we keep the 11 days to make the track. The two days after will be held for voting. Samples will be due by the end of the voting period. Then, on the 14th and final day, the new host creates the next beat battle.
This sounds like a good plan...

My response was mainly towards bbb, btw
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (13-07-2018)
Old 13-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5750093

People having the option doesn't mean they have to. And I was by no means the originator of the idea, only replying.

And in the theory reusing a sample in a new group of samples is a new sample pack.

------------------
Say YES!

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
i dunno.. i still think we should just have new sample packs every time. having great samples isn't even the point. just throw in a couple of random loops you have lying around, a couple of one shots, maybe a synth line you recorded once that you're never gonna do anything with and an mp3 rip of a youtube video. Donezo... piece of cake
I agree, sample packs should be new samples. I only meant for the sample reuse to be as a last resort, in the case the winner has no samples uploaded by users, and they need to start the battle with something. That's only a specific situation that I was getting at.

But yeah, it'd be like a last resort option, ONLY for the new beat battle host to use in the event a low number of samples are submitted. Or, they could just record more themselves, but I was just getting at this from the angle of lessening the workload.

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 13-07-2018 at 07:56 PM..

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 13-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 72010
Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,045 Posts

Thanks for keeping this up and running!

The times I participated it was great fun, except that winning as a result of being the only sucker submitting kind of blew. It is, as with all aspects of this forum, a handful of folks that are really into it and those are the regular participants. So, I wouldn’t sweat it too much and make it fun and interesting for those actually participating.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 04:46 AM   #14
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 20910

I keep winning a bunch, has got to stop. Voting to kick me out

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Lmao
Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (17-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #16
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

You gotta make like, a purposely bad track lol just take one of the samples and like, time stretch it over 5 minutes.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Tsachi (17-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #17
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 21660

Quote:

Wouldn't it be better to simply chop off your head?

Or maybe, if you're too squeamish around sharp blades and hooded men, have someone administer some sort of lethal injection

PS: congrats on your win!
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
I/O_Madness (17-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #18
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Bring forward the national razor

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #19
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 20910

BB100 should have an actual tangible prize, I think that would be pretty damn stellar. It would get more people participating maybe, and just be a cool anniversary event I think. Nothing too glamorous, but something sorta cool and perhaps useful for music. Liiiike, maybe a teenage engineering pocket operator? Not very expensive and they make sound! Any other ideas are welcome.

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #20
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
BB100 should have an actual tangible prize, I think that would be pretty damn stellar. It would get more people participating maybe, and just be a cool anniversary event I think. Nothing too glamorous, but something sorta cool and perhaps useful for music. Liiiike, maybe a teenage engineering pocket operator? Not very expensive and they make sound! Any other ideas are welcome.
Oh yea sure.. there should be prizes SAYS THE GUY WHO WINS ALL THE BEAT BATTLES.

Nice try Tsacha Baron Cohen

Ok jk.. yea I’m down for prizes. Pocket operator would be dope or some panties signed by Tiesto or something

Advertisements

Thanks to mnkvolcno
I/O_Madness (18-07-2018)