Tips for futuristic UI (User Interface) sounds (includes audip example)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 22-07-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
pavleas
Radial Developer
pavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to behold
Athens
MC Status: 660
Tips for futuristic UI (User Interface) sounds (includes audip example)

So I started researching on specific futuristic sounds I always liked, and I finally came with their "name", which is the sounds that futuristic User Interfaces make. They are mostly used in game design. Basically imagine a futuristic PC game, when your character goes to open a door and there is an interface where you have to enter a code in order for the door to open. From the research i've done, most of these are created by using stutters and modulators. Any tips from the pros of the forum would also be appreciated. Here is an audio example: (I also always wanted to learn how they made this sound at 0:04-0:06. I guess a random LFO assigned to the pitch of the sound?). Thanks in advance.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70860
Thanked 1,417 Times in 917 Posts
Re: Tips for futuristic UI (User Interface) sounds (includes audip example)

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
should be able to point you in the right direction if he stumbles across this thread (or @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, but he's not so active anymore)

As an uneducated guess, I'd say lots of frequency modulation. All of the sounds are more or less similar within this context, but the part you're talking about sounds either warped, granulated or otherwise repeated. I'm no help, but maybe someone else will chime in.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
pavleas (22-07-2018)
Old 22-07-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 11160

Generally I would say you can get there with resampling, granular, glitch/stutter/repeater effects or microediting with added pitch/grain modulation. 0:04-0:06 has at least 3 layers imho: a basic deep hum in the background, a fast stable repeating of some hizzing thing in the highs and a pitch modulated fast repeating of a basic computer bleep. For the basic bleep sounds to be reduplicated, you can basically cut out any kind of short glitchy sound or synth bleep imho, maybe put a fast filter/EQ envelope on it if it sounds too boring. just try out how they sound with the duplication. Repeated microediting along those lines should get you there imho, but I could be way off as to how exactly it was produced.

If you like graphic design, use a synth or audio editor with graphic-to-audio (Photosounder, RX) or graphic-to-wavetable (Serum) options and work on switching up the modulated bleepy parts in a graphical way, can be very useful for sound effects...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #4
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 20960

Ah, the basic computer bleep, a staple of electronic sound

------------------
Tsachi is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
Metaside (25-07-2018)
Old 22-07-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 21660

In old sci-fi stuff like Star Trek and Doctor Who, most of the "computer sounds" were made with analogue synthesizers, effects and magnetic tape-recorders. You can create some pretty far out old school effects by physically cutting, rearranging and splicing the tape back together again. It's a slow way of working, and the results are generally noisy and unpredictable, but it also yields sounds that are very different from what you'd normally get out of a DAW.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 22-07-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 218110
Thanked 4,362 Times in 3,239 Posts

Any solid synth is good for creating futuristic UI sounds, but you need to make up your mind which path your going to take..samples or synthesis.

If you're going to go with samples..either your own or vst presets..the just load your synth and choose a preset or sample. Then find the main amp envelope and adjust ADSR to zero. Slowly increase the decay untill you get a "quick" sound. Then start playing with the ADSR of both AMP and FILTER envelopes of synth, but try keeping the envelopes quick and sharp.

Once you have a sound you like, try playing different harmonic/discordant short chords or phrases, keeping in mind as you do that both will result in differrent effects: happy or uplifting sounds will come from harmonic-sounds, while discordant sounds are usually used to signal something that's incorrect, dark or a failure.

If your synth has an arpeggiator, then run the results through it and try different settings and speeds. If you're looking for short sounds to use, then you'll want to keep the settings "fast". Alternatively, try just playing a short little arpeggio, by barely hitting the keys..think "Close Encounters".

It's worth mentioning if you're going to use delay, then you might find it's best to use it sparingly..same goes for reverb..though a little touch of reverb can help really transform a sound for use later..especially if it's going to be used in a large area setting, such as on a ship or in a hanger..but you can always add reverb to match the setting later.

One other thing to keep in mind is the overall dynamics..mess around with the pitch and frequency modulation, as well as the stereo width of the sound and try including some really fast panning. All of these can really help make the end sound come to life even more.

If, in the end, you can't get it right or just couldn't be bothered..then check out the software from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..all their stuff is made with just this very task in mind.

Best of luck.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
pavleas (22-07-2018)
Old 22-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
pavleas
Radial Developer
pavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to beholdpavleas is a splendid one to behold
Athens
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Any solid synth is good for creating futuristic UI sounds, but you need to make up your mind which path your going to take..samples or synthesis.

If you're going to go with samples..either your own or vst presets..the just load your synth and choose a preset or sample. Then find the main amp envelope and adjust ADSR to zero. Slowly increase the decay untill you get a "quick" sound. Then start playing with the ADSR of both AMP and FILTER envelopes of synth, but try keeping the envelopes quick and sharp.

Once you have a sound you like, try playing different harmonic/discordant short chords or phrases, keeping in mind as you do that both will result in differrent effects: happy or uplifting sounds will come from harmonic-sounds, while discordant sounds are usually used to signal something that's incorrect, dark or a failure.

If your synth has an arpeggiator, then run the results through it and try different settings and speeds. If you're looking for short sounds to use, then you'll want to keep the settings "fast". Alternatively, try just playing a short little arpeggio, by barely hitting the keys..think "Close Encounters".

It's worth mentioning if you're going to use delay, then you might find it's best to use it sparingly..same goes for reverb..though a little touch of reverb can help really transform a sound for use later..especially if it's going to be used in a large area setting, such as on a ship or in a hanger..but you can always add reverb to match the setting later.

One other thing to keep in mind is the overall dynamics..mess around with the pitch and frequency modulation, as well as the stereo width of the sound and try including some really fast panning. All of these can really help make the end sound come to life even more.

If, in the end, you can't get it right or just couldn't be bothered..then check out the software from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..all their stuff is made with just this very task in mind.

Best of luck.
Thanks everyone, but especially A.M for the detailed tips. Basically I want to make an EP with futuristic technological sounds theme, but since I started courses on game design, if I ever achieve these types of sounds, I will also have another use for them heheh. Thanks a lot. Will start experimenting in a couple of days.

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to pavleas
A.M (22-07-2018)
Old 28-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18054519
Thanked 1,090 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
pretty sure he got sick of being the only guy who can design a sound

OP:
i will have a listen when i can, no sound atm.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
A.M (28-07-2018)