Kaskade style vocal effects
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
PeterBeckhart
Radial Developer
PeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura aboutPeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura about
Orange County, CA
MC Status: 160
Kaskade style vocal effects

Hey all,

I'm wondering how to get the "whisper" style sound in "I Remember" with vocals. It's pretty commonly used and I love the style. What effects and/or plugins are used?

Advertisements

------------------
My most recent track:

Check out my soundcloud here:
https://soundcloud.com/beckhart
PeterBeckhart is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
thatSPIKEkid
Granular Poster
thatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enoughthatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enough
Seattle
MC Status: 110
Re: Kaskade style vocal effects

Haley Gibby might have just layered the main vox with a whisper track. Sounds weird but it's pretty commonly used to add some interesting harmonics to vox. If it wasn't a technique used while recording, then chorus, flanger, phasor or any other plugin that allows you to mess around with the phase of the sound would help make it sound more "airy" or "dreamy" if you will. These type of effects can easily be overdone though so be careful!

------------------
thatSPIKEkid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBeckhart View Post
I'm wondering how to get the "whisper" style sound in "I Remember" with vocals. It's pretty commonly used and I love the style. What effects and/or plugins are used?
I swear there was a thread exactly like this one some time ago...

In terms of the "whisper" effect, It doesn't really have to do with the plugins/processing (rather none at all). It has to do more so with the recording. Get you or your vocalist very close to the mic (preferably a large diaphragm condenser), hike up your input gain, and crank up your compression. Add reverb, delay, etc.,

And don't forget auto-tune. Even just a subtle amount would help.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Subflex
Minor Glitch
Subflex will become famous soon enough
Chicago
MC Status: 60

maybe you could layer in reverb tails that you bounce out to the dry signal?

that would probably give a similar effect if it wasnt in the original recording if its placed in right...
Subflex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Haley Gibby just sings softly into the mic. Occasionally almost more breathing than actual vocal-chord sounds.
A problem that comes with "soft-singers" (or singers who sing with close proximity to the mic) is that inhalations becomes as loud (or percieved as louder) as the actual vocals when it's compressed. Annoying as shit (IMO), but the general listener don't seem to give a shit about it.

You could [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
the vocals with white noise (as Carrier) if you were desperate. Blend Source with Carrier to taste.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
PeterBeckhart
Radial Developer
PeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura aboutPeterBeckhart has a spectacular aura about
Orange County, CA
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Haley Gibby just sings softly into the mic. Occasionally almost more breathing than actual vocal-chord sounds.
A problem that comes with "soft-singers" (or singers who sing with close proximity to the mic) is that inhalations becomes as loud (or percieved as louder) as the actual vocals when it's compressed. Annoying as shit (IMO), but the general listener don't seem to give a shit about it.

You could [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
the vocals with white noise (as Carrier) if you were desperate. Blend Source with Carrier to taste.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Thanks this really helps. Gives me some more ideas!

Advertisements

------------------
My most recent track:

Check out my soundcloud here:
https://soundcloud.com/beckhart
PeterBeckhart is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote