IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - What is IDM today?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649568
Thanked 5,006 Times in 3,215 Posts
Re: What is IDM today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
What is IDM today? Is it still Intelligent DANCE Music or that dance has somehow been replaced by experimental music?
To me IDM in relation to this forum denotes a mind-state of the average poster more than a musical genre. Most people that find their way to a forum like this, while likely not making proper IDM themselves, are typically going to be more open minded on everything from musical styles to ways of being, thinking, and doing.

I don't think "IDM" is really even a thing today being as many aspects of what IDM was has seeped out even into the mainstream of music. I mean sure people still try and pigeon hole stuff into certain genres but, everything is so cross influenced today that even "IDM" itself pretty much just become a hodgepodge of things from evocative 4x4 to glitch. Looking at the IDMf catalog shows this pretty well I think actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
And what does it mean to you to be active on a forum about IDM?
To me this forum isn't about IDM, it's about the production of IDM - see above for my opinion of what IDM actually is. Being as it's about IDM production what it means to me to be an active member is - I'm here to learn from and help others in the production of music. That would go along with the assumption that I am making music or involved in the production of music on some level, otherwise what am I doing here?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
lolirl (11-01-2017)