IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2016, 01:47 AM   #2
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210
Re: How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?

Unless you have amnesia, being able to completely remove yourself from your music is impossible :p We're all at least a little bit proud of our work. We spent a lot of time and energy creating it. We also know everything about that song from the start, all the way to the end. Of course, we're gonna be a little bit proud of it.

Anyways, these don't always work but these little tricks give me a different perspective on my tracks, which is always helpful. I like to listen to tracks on different types of audio systems, away from my main studio monitors. I'd listen to the track on studio headphones, cheap earbuds, iPhone speakers, car speakers, shit $10 speakers I bought from Tesco or someone else's earphones. This lets me hear my music from a different perspective and allows me to make adjustments accordingly.

Another thing you can do is compare your songs to other music that sound similar to yours. How do the drums sound? How do the synths sound? What does that song do to keep the listener engaged? Sonically, does your song sound close to your chosen reference tracks? At the very least, these reference tracks can help guide you towards a better song.

Finally, just leave your song alone and don't listen to it until a few days later. Coming in with a fresh ear always helps. Makes you realise what's right/wrong with your track.

Honestly, I know this isn't the "right" answer to your question but having friends whose opinion you trust is the best thing you can do to get criticism from a third person. Some people can give really shit opinions when it comes to music that isn't critical or remotely helpful. Hell, your own opinions about your own music could also be shit. So knowing people who can properly analyse your tracks is really helpful. I've fixed so many shit tracks thanks to this. You're in a music forum! I'm sure you can find someone who can help you

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote