IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Do you make music you're not familiar with?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts
Re: Do you make music you're not familiar with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I went through a phase of that due to the availability of EDM sample packs and VST's; it was the same reason why I always ended up making reggae in Ejay clubworld. Personally, I've never given a flying fuck about either one.

This all tends to change if / when you play an instrument or get into hardware, but there's nothing wrong with experimenting way outside of your zone, either. In fact, this type of experimenting might lead you to getting into real instruments and things you can actually 'play' in an organic setting.

Maybe it's something about limits, but this seems to be true for me.
Getting into hardware was the game changer to me. It was a long/expensive process. I certainly wish I'd gone less crazy and gone less crazy not on credit. But I'm happy where I ended up. Having a few intruments where muscle memory comes into play and really getting to know an instrument phsyically as lead me down that "true to myself" path.

Not everyone needs to go spend 2k on a synth or anything. But these days the entry level even into hardware is pretty low. Not everyone needs to go hardware. But I think software, at some level, can lead a lot of us towards sample packs, presets, and paint by numbers music. The temptation is hard to resist when you get more instant, but ultimately less inpsired results.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Vault O))) (07-02-2017)