IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - How to gain more popularity?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 40660
Re: How to gain more popularity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Me three--not even most musicians want to listen to "sketches". And given the ocean of well done enough, but ultimately average music on the internet it's going to be a chore, beyond just making something special that people will want to listen to, for one to get noticed.

I think the model of performing and and interacting with a real audience to create a fan base of return listeners is far from outdated. People just want to believe they'll become internet famous and can do it all from their bedroom. I'd say this is highly unlikely. If you really want to do it, you'll have to leave your studio (IMO).
I totally agree with all of this. I'd also say the opposite is true. If you make incredible music and put it out, people who enjoy that style will find it. When was the last time that anyone came across a truly amazing musician that no one else knew about? Nobody ever says "and here's the logical progression of Zepplin and they've got 8 albums on Soundcloud and I've discovered them", because someone is already into them if they're actually that good. Really amazing music gets found and passed around these days because it's too easy not to. There are no Aphex Twins languishing in obscurity in the internet age.

But the fact is that most people (me, you, that person) don't make music that's that amazing. We make superficially interesting tunes that are familiar and easy to digest in whatever genre we choose, but we're not breaking meaningful ground. The only way to propel that sort of music is through networking, live performance, and attaching something to it beyond the pure musicality. People who put a song on Soundcloud and wonder why they're not attracting a following are likely deluding themselves as to the quality and impact of their work.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks