IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - How to come up with complex and interesting chords?
View Single Post
Old 15-05-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910
Re: how to come up with complex interesting chords

When I am improvising on the piano I will often play things and then just shift the middle note of the chord up or down one half step. So for example if you are playing a C chord CEG, flat or sharp the E to add interest. You can also play in a certain key and then throw in an unexpected key change, or larger fuller chord with a diminished note.

I am not sure how well you know theory but just look up the basic Major and Minor scales and play around with different combinations.
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote