IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - "Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564780
Thanked 7,477 Times in 5,279 Posts
Re: "defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

It wasn't my first piece of hardware but the ESX (Electribe Sampler) totally changed how I made music.

Many fine records have been made with a mouse and clicking a DAW. But with the ESX I felt like I was playing an instrument. I was twisting knobs, doing live takes, I was standing and moving to the music I was making. I was playing an instrument.

I learned about how limitations can be a good thing. The ESX is so far from being a modern DAW, but oh my gosh! I can arrange whole tracks on this thing and record different live versions?

Since then its been a path of discovery, rediscovery, changing setups every few albums, buying and selling and getting to know more and more what I works best for me. I'd been writing music on computers for...six years before I bought that ESX and hardware never seemed to make sense. I'd tried MIDI controllers, but in my experience they were finicky and they are not immediate as you need a slew of them to control many functions at once.

I won't tell my whole story here, but as I've said my setup has gone through many incarnations since the ESX--from trying to go all hardware to going almost completely back in the box and finally really digging into a hybrid setup.

I'll mention Maschine as a huge game changer of the functionality it adds to my DAW, the way it sequences and samplers hardware. Its a bit like Push in that the connection between software and the controller makes it very hardware-like.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote