IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Universal audio
Thread: Universal audio
View Single Post
Old 17-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #16
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 39260
Re: Universal audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
The only bothersome aspect is the designed obsolescence of the very pricey hardware UAD requires, whether that a Satellite, UAD Octo, or an Apollo audio interface .... To me, it makes a little more sense to invest in a more beefy computer.
Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Outboard DSP made a lot of sense when plugin power was outstripping available compute. That's really not the case these days, and the dedicated DSP chips are starting to look slower and slower by comparison to even moderate laptop cpus. I think UAD hardware had its day in the sun and while it'll have its adherents and converts like anything else, I expect more and more people will move off it sooner than later.

Somewhat anecdotally, a guy I collaborate with sometimes had UAD hard and soft and really loved it. I didn't because he regularly had to bounce all his work to stems to send to me because I couldn't use any of the UAD stuff. I'll also say he never once sent me something where the audio quality just blew me away over the options I had - as much as I've been exposed to and occasionally used UAD, I can't buy into the woo because I've never heard it. They're not bad, but they're not redefining the plugin landscape either. He hit the obsolesce point about a year ago and moved over to more standard stuff - Antelope hardware and the usual plugin suspects. His output hasn't suffered for it at all.

So I dunno, maybe I'm biased or just don't see the appeal, but UAD stuff just looks like really expensive dongles for not a lot of upside that can't be had elsewhere for less cost and more flexiblity.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Lotus_Jewel (20-07-2017)