IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589280
Thanked 7,967 Times in 5,599 Posts
Re: What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?

I'm really not trying to be negative, I will tell you what I would recommend in a moment, but I think there is an inherent problem with your question which would be true across all music forums on the internet. Most of the answers you will get are going to be from people with budget monitors setup in untreated rooms. And they are all going to tell you they think their brand/model of monitor has the flattest frequency response for the money. Also many people won't have had experience with more than one pair of monitors. I'm not saying my opinion is worth a damn because it is colored by the same issues I described above (more or less).

If you can, go listen before you buy. If you are only invest in monitors that are at or under $500 USD and aren't going to be in a treated room I'd say it doesn't really matter. Pick the ones you like the looks of the most because you are just going to have to learn how to work with them in your studio space. If you are going to work in a treated room I'd be far more careful in choosing.

I'm a huge fan of Equator Audio's D Series monitors. For the D5's in particular really beat the pants off most of the other monitor pairs in the 400USD price range for accurate frequency response. They use a coaxial cone design which is a bit different from the standard design--don't ask me to explain why this is better, but when I was shopping for monitors the reviews discussing the difference helped sell me. They also have different DSP settings for "near wall" and "near corner" which helps in an untreated room. The only problem is that they are a smaller manufacturer so sometimes their products are a bit hard to get after.

Previously I had Rokit 6 G2s and in comparison the Equators just blow them out of the water. The Rokit 6s had fatiguing mids and highs and boom bass in comparison.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote