IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - The 3,5,7 Method
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #15
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 37960
Re: The 3,5,7 Method

Lol. Of all threads to resurrect.

Uhh. 1 3 5 7? wut?

This is just a super basic chord progression that is nothing spectacular. I would call it vi - V - IV in G major. You "can" always move between adjacent chords in a key, it's called planing. When you get to the IV, going back to the VI is nbd because triads a third a part (diatonic triads, meaning in the same key) always contain two notes in common.

My advice to people worrying about this stuff is to not worry about chord theory unless you are willing to put a lot of study (and hopefully some ear training) into it. Reason being is that I see A LOT of people severely limiting themselves because they are trying to go by theory rules.

The thing is, if you write songs by farting around on a keyboard, a guitar, and a sequencer, you will write stuff that would probably take three semesters of music theory to catch up to (it took me four to actually identify most of the techniques I was using).

You will probably get more mileage out of trying a new process. For instance, you might try step recording like 30 chords and then editing it heavily. You might be surprised with what you come up with.
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote