IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Resources for learning the "Process/Analysis" of electronic music production?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810
Re: Resources for learning the "Process/Analysis" of electronic music production?

I have personally never found need to read models about music, rather what I've done is listen to stuff that I like and imitate. Or try out stuff myself and decide what I like and what I don't. What I then end up with is the stuff that I liked.

I don't think it's necessary to even understand much music theory in order to make music. The theory can be used to assist that process (and it can be recalled anytime one needs it, so no need to memorize), but it doesn't tell "how to write good music / how to write music that I like". And there are several if not an infinite amount of models for "good music".

The most important thing should, I think, be to develop a musical ear (so that you know what sounds "musical") and also develop your taste (so that you know things that you like and things that you don't like, these will guide your production decisions).

Another thing that helps making music is to understand the "palette" of your instruments, effects and other gear thoroughly. The palette will determine "what kind of textures, movements etc. do you have at your disposal". It can be compared to how an instrument player (e.g. a guitarist) understands, what kind of tones and textures and even rhythms can he attain from his guitar rig.

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote