IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - experimentation.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #12
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760
Re: experimentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
so, I have been releasing some of my demo tracks on soundcloud lately and a lot of the time I feel like I haven't done anything that someone hasn't already, when I was trying so hard to do something different I was never satisfied with my work, I would delete most of my songs and start over so much no-one every heard my stuff... now most of it sounds like chillwave and I like chillwave but not many other people do anymore since everyone thinks it died out... any suggestions on how to fix this feeling?
Screw it (like in Rap) put some wind/rain sound FX and call it vaporwave...
I mean, that's a little crudely putting it, but essentially...
People do go for that...

If you aren't satisfied with your original efforts, step outside of the edm/pop/ idm context altogether. Step outside the whole past 50 years post-Beatles post-WorldWars mass media context. Imagine you are 200 years later when the Chinese are sorting through literally billions of recordings made before our civilization imploded and the whole idea of "greatness" as in Bach or Amon Tobin is meaningless except in terms of cultural inertia linked to those kind of artists... Imagine you are discovered by someone in that future age... not by millions of people but by one person out of billions. What message are you telling that person about our time, about yourself?

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote