IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - New to electronic music, looking for guidance
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Artificer
Deep Underground
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 40660
Re: New to electronic music, looking for guidance

I don't have any specific insight into their processes, but I'd wager they're using bog standard sound sources (hardware/vst synths, common samples, mostly) and clever, inventive use of effects chains in conjunction with a lot of automation.

Very (very very very) few electronic artists do things like program their own effects or build their own synths. I'd even doubt that most record their own samples. Almost all of them are using the standard array of samples, synths and effects available to most everyone - they're just really creative and experimental about how they use those things, and, most importantly, how they put them all together. Most of the awesome you hear is about composition, not sound design.

For example, take literally any sample, try stacking a couple of different reverbs together, then run the tails though a modulated comb or high pass filter, shift that down to a register that you like, and then stuff it through light distortion and maybe some granular processing. Those are all things available in most DAWs, but what comes out the end will be bizarre and unique and, if you're lucky, useful. Do things that you don't normally do to sounds. Mangle them horribly, tame them, and use them.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote