IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (https://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Beat Battles (https://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   Beat Battle - Arena 51 (https://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=146463)

Neuralsphere 03-03-2017 10:55 PM

Beat Battle - Arena 51

ARENA 51

1) Open genre but you have only 3 tempos to choose from - 95/140/172 BPM. (Wheres mah house gone bruh?)

2) You may use 1 instrumental plugin (this includes voice) to generate sound - So long as it sounds alien/otherworldly/hi-tech...Think Area 51. All other sounds must be generated through the use of the sample pack or various fx plugins. (DA alienz stole mah house bruh!)

3) Your submission must be at least 51 seconds in length but no more than 5.1 minutes total... (Alienobody gut time fo dat...)

The Samples

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Countdown until submissions close:

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

All times are synchronised to UTC.

Quote:

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday (3rd Mar 2017).

Submissions close Tuesday 11 days later (14th Mar 2017) 23:59 and voting opens at 00:00 (immediately after).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day, Thursday (16th March 2017).

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Friday 17th March 2017 ) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote.

ANYONE CAN VOTE REGARDLESS OF SUBMITTING ETC.

MFXxx 04-03-2017 01:04 AM

Re: Beat Battle - Arena 51

Nice name take...clean samples. Love the rules.... Should be good again

I/O_Madness 04-03-2017 02:32 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qUH2sD4GWB...+pablo+M+R.jpg

Jaded 04-03-2017 02:59 AM

Sick name. Sick rules. Fucking rad shit.

highcombat 04-03-2017 07:07 AM

what i have thus far. want to add other stuff but that would be cheating
:doge:

Creepr 04-03-2017 09:37 AM

Cool Neural, I will give this a go too.

7asid 04-03-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highcombat (Post 1438302)

what i have thus far. want to add other stuff but that would be cheating
:doge:

Love the vibe

Neuralsphere 04-03-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFXxx (Post 1438280)
Nice name take...clean samples. Love the rules.... Should be good again

Hope so, glad the samples are being put to good use ( @[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] I'm loving the spacey reggae feel) hope I covered the spectrum well enough for everyone... let me know otherwise, I did rush the samples last night a bit.

Neuralsphere 04-03-2017 05:26 PM

Something I've started on in 140 - still a work in progress. Going to try make a start in 95 BPM and 172 BPM later then probably pick the one with most potential to focus on... though might end up with 3 submissions :huh:

brb 06-03-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuralsphere (Post 1438257)
3) Your submission must be at least 51 seconds in length but no more than 5.1 minutes total... (Alienobody gut time fo dat...)

The way I've structured my tune (electrooooooo at 140bpm) means it comes to a natural end at bar 185 (5m15s) so I think I need to lose between 4 and 8 bars from somewhere depending on the interpretation of rule 3... Does 5.1 minutes mean...
a) 5 minutes and one second?
b) 5 minutes and one tenth of a minute (6 seconds)?
c) 5 minutes and one sixth of a minute (10 seconds)?
d) Other..?

Cheers.

I/O_Madness 06-03-2017 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brb (Post 1438505)
The way I've structured my tune (electrooooooo at 140bpm) means it comes to a natural end at bar 185 (5m15s) so I think I need to lose between 4 and 8 bars from somewhere depending on the interpretation of rule 3... Does 5.1 minutes mean...
d) Other..?

Cheers.

I think 5.1 minutes means 5 + .1 minutes.

Jaded 06-03-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

d) Other..?

Cheers.

I reckon c) would be the correct answer - 60 / 10 = 6.

;)

MFXxx 06-03-2017 08:23 PM

Popped in to see how it's all going. Got some inspiration from the two demo subs.

Im hitting the 172 on this one...and loving it!

Just to be clear 1 instrumental plugins means only 1 sound from that plugin or 1 plugin using several sounds ;)

Difficult to make the rules without interpretation and dissection isn't it :)

White Noise 07-03-2017 02:05 AM

Just spent a couple of hours working on what will be my sub at 95 BPM. Right now, it's got a hip hop vibe (I think), but it's gonna need some more stuff to be a full song. I can't rap over it, so it's probably gonna need some nice synth melodies in there. We shall see. I suppose I should do some research and see what they do in hip-hop besides overblown subs (check) and spider sounds (check).

White Noise 07-03-2017 07:36 AM

I'm playing around with some other ideas to go on top of this, but satisfied with this much at least.

A.M 07-03-2017 09:16 AM

I WANT TO BELIEVE

I nearly missed this for some reason..glad I found it..downloading samples as I type. ;)

Neuralsphere 07-03-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

d) Other..?

Cheers.

1/10th of 60 seconds. Answer numbero beh.
:notafinga:

Thomas 07-03-2017 01:57 PM

1. 140
  2. One VST bass used as full spectrum.
  3. 3m15s

Neuralsphere 07-03-2017 03:57 PM

Still in progress, started on 172 (which is working out better than my 140 attempt I think)...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1438689)
  1. 140
  2. One VST bass used as full spectrum.
  3. 3m15s

Awesome Thomas, ticked all the boxes. Boss wave at 1:15 :P really like the breaks, the bass you added and the contrast between sections. It's catchy in an eerie/alien way - Nice work :)

Neuralsphere 07-03-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Noise (Post 1438642)

I'm playing around with some other ideas to go on top of this, but satisfied with this much at least.

Liking the feel of it, the pitch shifted warped guitar sounds pretty swanky :victory:

Lug 07-03-2017 07:19 PM

OK so it's basically going to be a beat and filter-swept drones. Wait is that 90% of electronic music

brb 07-03-2017 08:06 PM

Sounds good to me.

Neuralsphere 07-03-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug (Post 1438728)
OK so it's basically going to be a beat and filter-swept drones. Wait is that 90% of electronic music

What's the other 10% again... Just the filter swept drones with no beat right? :problemofficer:

Thomas 08-03-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuralsphere (Post 1438707)
Still in progress, started on 172 (which is working out better than my 140 attempt I think)...

---

Awesome Thomas, ticked all the boxes. Boss wave at 1:15 :P really like the breaks, the bass you added and the contrast between sections. It's catchy in an eerie/alien way - Nice work :)

Nice work, right over. And thanks :)

Neuralsphere 09-03-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFXxx (Post 1438561)
Popped in to see how it's all going. Got some inspiration from the two demo subs.

Im hitting the 172 on this one...and loving it!

Just to be clear 1 instrumental plugins means only 1 sound from that plugin or 1 plugin using several sounds ;)

Difficult to make the rules without interpretation and dissection isn't it :)

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been away landscaping with no internet and must have missed this post somehow. You can make an instrument, and can macro within it and apply fx to it. All the more power to you if you can make an instrument that can morph indefinitely. Just share the magic after :P

brb 09-03-2017 05:55 PM

So... a single multi-voice/multi-timbre instrument is right out then?

Neuralsphere 09-03-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brb (Post 1438989)
So... a single multi-voice/multi-timbre instrument is right out then?

Sorry, bit confused by the right out bit so I'll be as detailed on this as possible...

It's perfectly acceptable to have a multi-voice/multi-timbre instrument, just so long as its all contained within one patch on the plugin. Extra modulation is acceptable with layering effects... BUT - it has to sound alien.

That means (for example) morphing from a pad sound to a lead synth, so long as both of them sound a bit weird and warped... just do your best that's all anyone can really ask :)

N.B. Cloning the instrument is not acceptable i.e. having 2 instances of the same patch running the different timbres at the same time is cheating. However, feel free to make as many instruments off the sample pack as you like. Also, you may make an instrument... It's not mandatory :)

Hope this clears up my lack of explanation on the rule earlier. Hope this hasn't messed up anyone's workflow...

MFXxx 09-03-2017 08:53 PM

I was thinking about using bliss and see what I concoct out of a vst instrument stack into it :)
Actually stuggling on this one. That bass sample is nasty, although once micro'd down to one simple waveform of the whole theres something useful :)

Neuralsphere 11-03-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFXxx (Post 1439007)
I was thinking about using bliss and see what I concoct out of a vst instrument stack into it :)
Actually stuggling on this one. That bass sample is nasty, although once micro'd down to one simple waveform of the whole theres something useful :)

Never used bliss, or heard of it until you said. What does it allow you to do? I've been toying with buying Razor from NI... I have enough money for it now, but I'm playing it safe until next weeks pay (though that doesn't help with the current battle :P)

Yeah the Huge Synth sample is obscene to say the least, I chopped it up too then looped on itself to try clean it up before using it as an instrument (I don't think it made much difference tbh)... I've updated version up of the 172 track I posted before (minor mods to lead - put some swing on the beat - some weird warped outro that doesn't quite fit yet... but I like it anyway lol), just struggling to find the time to sit down and finish it - I haven't even got round to creating an instrument for this one from scratch... Here I was thinking of getting 3 subs done... ha...

bleh
Updated

MFXxx 11-03-2017 05:15 PM

DSP Bliss is by George who does Discovery and more. Basically a vst sampler and auto scales not got my head into it entirely but worth checking out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Creepr 12-03-2017 09:15 AM

Hey guys, as I have been focusing on work and keeping my children from killing each other for the past week I have only put three samples together into a project and looped them so far....so I am going to have to bow out of this as I will not be able to do anything worthwhile by Tuesday. Will vote for sure. Happy mixing!

MFXxx 12-03-2017 09:38 AM

@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] Same here lads been causing mayhem at school (only 4). BUt I have managed to get something loopable with a reasonable beat etc...so will get something in even if its just 51 seconds long:)

White Noise 12-03-2017 07:27 PM

I'm nearing completion on mine. I felt like it started strong but I was never able to do as much as I wanted with it, so it kind of loops for 2.5-3 minutes. It's a damn nice loop, but it just fails to do much imo. I think (and this is just my guess because it's my first time trying to do hip hop) that the lack of vocals is a big limitation, but I really don't want to try to rap for the first time in my life and record that for all to hear on my USB Rockband mic either.

MFXxx 13-03-2017 12:33 AM

Right got something laid down, some fine tuning tomorrow night and Tuesday night polish the turd.

Struggled on this one, started really positive but time and life has been my nemesis this time round.

Looking forward to the subs though :)

brb 13-03-2017 04:25 PM

Struggling with melody on mine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Noise (Post 1439461)
I'm nearing completion on mine. I felt like it started strong but I was never able to do as much as I wanted with it, so it kind of loops for 2.5-3 minutes. It's a damn nice loop, but it just fails to do much imo. I think (and this is just my guess because it's my first time trying to do hip hop) that the lack of vocals is a big limitation, but I really don't want to try to rap for the first time in my life and record that for all to hear on my USB Rockband mic either.

It might be a bit late to suggest this, but you could work to a rap acapella to form a structure and variation guide, then remove the vocals when you're done.

White Noise 13-03-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brb (Post 1439544)
It might be a bit late to suggest this, but you could work to a rap acapella to form a structure and variation guide, then remove the vocals when you're done.

I won't have time to do this for my sub, but I may re-work it for a release just to try that workflow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Neuralsphere 13-03-2017 11:47 PM

This my final submission, don't have anymore time to fiddle with it before I get back from work tomorrow.

It's 172 BPM Dirty DnB :) It doesn't contain an external plugin instrument, I have just reworked the samples in the pack with fx plugins.

(was going to resample the bassline as my plugin instrument but CBF not enough time - may come back to it in the future when I get more fluid with it)

Anyway hope you enjoy it regardless of the insanity.

White Noise 14-03-2017 06:38 AM

Here's mine, 95 BPM, my one instrument is a Hive preset that comes in around the 2 min mark, first as stabs, then as the melody. I just open up a pair of filters, nothing too fancy.

MFXxx 14-03-2017 05:07 PM

Personally this was a rollercoaster of a beat battle to get a track done. Started of with some weekends beats in Maschine and all going well. Then to find and fit in the other sounds with a bass, lead, melody and other sounds. Sod to work with. Didn't touch it for about 5 days and then came back to it Sunday thinking I might just submit the beats.
The organ stuck out, the bass sample I could not get in tune or to fit so ended up editing it down to a few of the waveforms and tuned with some rbass and slate digital VMR to get a nice sound. Then Sunday eve hit a melody and chord. Went digging into Divas sounds and came up with the lead sound which bonded well with the synth sample in the pack.
The extra sound is from Diva (the carousel style sound that I have tried to make as alien as I could).
A few glitches on the beats as a finishing touch and mixdown.
Hope it works. Bit more poppy than IDM but it fits the 172BPM with I like to think an alien abduction movie soundtrack. Still rough round the edges, times a struggle at the moment and will probably revisit it post BB to rework as Im currently doing with some others.

@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] Loving the latter part of your sub with those breakdowns and bass rips. Nice!
@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] I can her where you mind was at in producing this one, the title packages it nicely.
@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] You are a git. Amazing work mate!

lebeux 14-03-2017 11:48 PM

hai sup, what the hell is going on here :problemofficer:

MFXxx 14-03-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebeux (Post 1439873)
hai sup, what the hell is going on here :problemofficer:

:justlookatit:
HEY WTF - been like 7/8 months since. Hows the leg? Hows the music :)

Thought we'd lost you.

Welcome back.

lebeux 14-03-2017 11:59 PM

The ankle is going pretty terrible, I have arthrosis now, yay
thanks for asking :D

I haven't done any musicking since. Shame on me.

A.M 15-03-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFXxx (Post 1439874)
:justlookatit:
HEY WTF - been like 7/8 months since. Hows the leg? Hows the music :)

Thought we'd lost you.

Welcome back.

Yeah, Leb..I second what MFXxx just said. What gives? How ya doing, dude? :)

EDIT: Never mind..just saw your reply after I posted this. :rolleyes:

lebeux 15-03-2017 12:07 AM

Thanks guys for the welcome back.
This thing looks like it's been going well.

MFXxx 15-03-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebeux (Post 1439879)
Thanks guys for the welcome back.
This thing looks like it's been going well.

Yeah there's been a steady flow of participants and subs, been really good. The standard is way up impo. There's been some positive evolution in the 3 rules and seems to be working well. Hope you get a chance to listen through...must be about 14+ BBs for you to listen too lol. Unless you've been secretly ghosting in quietly.
Bugger about the arthritis, broke my elbow in several places when I was 15. Still got bolts and pins in it decades on. I hope like me the arthritis subsides, it should get better. I find it tends to play up during damp weather, but keeping it warm helps. But then we are all different and the leg is a different limb completely so my empathy with you.

brb 15-03-2017 12:50 AM

1: 140bpm
2: computer voice (vstspeak)
3: 5.08333333333 minutes (approx.)

All provided samples used.

brb - bb51 - autokinesis:

MFXxx 15-03-2017 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brb (Post 1439888)
1: 140bpm
2: computer voice (vstspeak)
3: 5.08333333333 minutes (approx.)

All provided samples used.

brb - bb51 - autokinesis:

Nice work mate. Very Kraftwerk and a new plugin added to my arsenal, not come across this one before. Thanks :)

Kaiuna 15-03-2017 01:25 AM

Hey guys, I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on this. I started on a weird abstract thing and couldn't quite get it sounding alien enough... then my whole household got sick and we've just been one snotty ball of cuddling fevers.

I'm loving what's come out of this though! I'll definitely be casting my vote if nothing else :)

7asid 15-03-2017 02:30 AM

Oh man I left today to mix this thing but got sick and slept all day so I'll just post as is. I'm posting a sliver past deadline too, 45 min that is, I'll leave it up to Neuralsphare to say if i still qualify.Historically, that's been tolerated.

BPM is 95, VST is TAL 101 Bassline for some alien bassy filter sweeps and lenght is (supposed to be 5:06), my render gave it an extra 3 sec handle, I dont know why.

This was fun! Can't wait to hear the submissions :badamtoosh:

MFXxx 15-03-2017 06:12 PM

Beat Battle 51 - ARENA 51
!!!THE VOTE!!!

The Subs…great work guys.

Thomas –
aka nov Sov aku'z ga

White Noise – aka nov Sov azoltox

Neuralsphere - aka nov Sov thr'ebia

MFXxx – aka nov Sov sloo'lma

Brb - aka nov Sov gri'a

7asid – aka nov Sov zaagr'ek

Votes open
Think I've got everyone!?