IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (https://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Workstation Center (https://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Maschine: how do you delay a sample start (https://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=147732)

Deep Dose 07-08-2017 02:34 AM

Maschine: how do you delay a sample start

In Ableton I like to push and pull instruments using the track delays to get a better groove. Currently I have a TR8 triggering samples in Maschine and can't figure out a way to delay my high hats a bit. Sure I could record everything into Ableton and do it there, but that kind of kills my workflow during the writing process.

Anyone figured this out?

liquid_air 07-08-2017 03:56 AM

Re: Maschine: how do you delay a sample start

If you use an external synth to trigger, you need to do this in your TR8. In Maschine itself, you can nudge the triggers to do this.

relic 07-08-2017 04:07 AM

You could also add some silence in front of the samples. Its an old school trick, but it can work really well.

liquid_air 07-08-2017 05:23 AM

Some plugins in Maschine allow for this, too. Not sure about Kontakt, but Geist does. As long as you can send MIDI PrgChng messages, you're good.

Yeah, also what relic said.

localspace 07-08-2017 02:45 PM

DMG's Trackcontrol might be what you're looking for.. it's free if you make an account. It's really useful in Maschine to compensate for the basic mixer. It can also set track delay, unfortunately negative delay doesn't work because it relies on PDC, but forward delay works just fine.

Deep Dose 08-08-2017 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1455383)
You could also add some silence in front of the samples. Its an old school trick, but it can work really well.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Relic, I have tried this in maschines sample editor but I can only silence the begining of the actual sample, not add silence before it. Unless I'm doing it wrong

relic 08-08-2017 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Dose (Post 1455504)
Thanks for all the input guys.

Relic, I have tried this in maschines sample editor but I can only silence the begining of the actual sample, not add silence before it. Unless I'm doing it wrong

afaik you can't do it directly in Maschine. It's probably the most time consuming option tbf. But if I want something particularly wonky I'll take the same hat sample and add two different amounts of beginning silence to the sample twice and then a regular version and place these three until I get a groove I like. A lotta that future garage burial rip off stuff is made this way.