IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (https://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Workstation Center (https://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   the VST Master Thread (https://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=106320)

jilf 22-04-2012 07:30 AM

the VST Master Thread

Currently using filterfreak and stuff from sugarbytes.

Anybody know any great filters VST?

I/O_Madness 22-04-2012 07:39 AM

Re: Best filter/distortion VSTs?

i use the filter in fl studio. I like it.

essenthy 22-04-2012 07:53 AM

same using stock Fl filters , as for distortion i like Kombinat

stem collector 22-04-2012 08:53 AM

frohmage is nice

I/O_Madness 22-04-2012 09:02 AM

The filters that were in Acid PRO 4 I really liked because you could set the resonance to 100x or something high and it would be impossible to use without clipping but it was awesome... miss that program. The ones in FL are more smooth and less gritty it seems compared to acid's.

Feral_P 22-04-2012 11:14 AM

I really like Ohmicide's distortion VST, and decimort for bitcrushing

TSDREX 27-04-2012 09:17 AM

Best Distortion VST?

I use OhMycide, Camelphat... jw if theres any other VSTs thats for distortion?...

Many thanks,
TSDREX...

steeboo 27-04-2012 10:35 AM

Re: Best Distortion VST?

d16 Redopter is a pretty good tube distortion, Fabfilter saturn is really cool too.

LeonFrick 27-04-2012 04:38 PM

I personally use FastDistortion in FL, and Amp simulator in Cubase. It works great if you know how to use it!

najtrows 27-04-2012 04:48 PM

guitar rig 5 is awesome! and i like[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

ever since someone here recommended it! its awesome to top off the sound with, using other gainvst's with low gain in front of it and then just cranking the fuck out of it!

Convergence 28-04-2012 06:15 AM

Soundtoys Decapitator is probably the best sounding saturation/distortion plug there is, quite easily.

Ohmicide is good for totally mangling a sound but many of its algorithms sound very similar to me and it seems like theres far too many to choose from for little difference, although modulation/morphing the presets/bands can sound good.

Fabfilter Saturn sounds quite good and offers extensive modulation.

Redline Pre-Amp from 112db sounds as good as Decapitator although it cant push to extremes in the same manner, its far more subtle, and needs the soft clip activated for more dirt. It does however offer multi-band and mid-side processing.

One that should probably get mentioned more often is Kombinat from Audio Damage, this thing sounds great, has multi-band processing, and some great algorithms for different distortion types. The Frequency Warping distortion algo sounds particularly great on some sources.

----------

if your after something with a bit more character, you could try amp-simulations / re-amp plugs. Softube's Bass-Amp and Metal-Amp both sound like the real deal, and offer the added character of room ambience to the distortion.

If you want something free that offers good control, check out - "Christortion" , it allows control of harmonics as well as the ability to phase invert individual harmonics.

Convergence 28-04-2012 07:28 AM

i think the soundtoys and sugarbytes stuff is some of the best tbh and dont know why you'd be looking for more filters...

Sonalksis Creative filter is a great sounding but a bit simple

Fabfilter (Volcano, Simplon, Micron) all good and lots of modulation

New bit from FXPansion sounds great and uses the d-cam algorithms but it seems to hit the CPU a bit. - "Etch" check it out, i think its still on sale, and it sounds great

Fred McLovin 29-04-2012 12:00 AM

Id say Fabfilter for any type of filter... so easy to use!!

As for distortion id say Ohmicide !

Middie 29-04-2012 09:09 AM

Rob Papen Distortion gets my thumbs up too.

TSDREX 29-04-2012 01:32 PM

Any good compressor/EQ Vsts?

Any good compressor/EQ Vsts?

Getting a bit bored of Ableton built in EQ/Compressor, Specially when you want a punchy Kick/Snare...

Thanks,
TSDREX.

gibson_ewok 29-04-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Any good compressor/EQ Vsts?

If you want punch, check out BBE's stuff, the harmonic and sonic maximiser are pretty cool!

gibson_ewok 29-04-2012 02:31 PM

Yeah, I rate the Ohmicide multiband distortion.

Parricide 30-04-2012 12:03 AM

if ive said it once ive said it a million times, ohmicide is THE distortion unit, nothing else compares.

i just tried fabfilter saturn though and i have to say its a really nice tool. the modulation capabilities are great! its missing a couple of features that i would have included but i will be investing in it all the same.

Idle Earth 30-04-2012 12:31 PM

Ohmicide and CamelPhat have been killer for me! :D

bbb 30-04-2012 04:58 PM

CamelCrusher is a free VST. I'm liking it after trying to use Redux for a long time.

Definitely going to look at some non-synth plugs now though, to buy.