SCSI2SD Adapter

https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

I wanted to free myself from SCSI Zip discs/drives. I ordered a SCSI2SD adapter for my Korg Triton.

I also got the DB25 adapter. It took a month to get here from China, though there may be U.S. distributors for the newer models. I specifically chose the 5.0 version because someone had designed a 3D printed case for it. The whole thing is a little larger then a pack of smokes.

I got the case printed in clear, so it lights up with disk activity. The Triton seems to only see disks up to 4 GB in size, so I formatted my 16 GB micro SD card into 4 partitions, each with it’s own SCSI ID.

Works great, and it’s blazingly fast. I power it with a 5 volt micro USB adapter. The whole setup cost around $120, well worth it.

That is awesome man. Honestly, you know you’ve arrived in your hardware setup when it’s the little pieces like this that really make all the difference.

I remember trying to figure out how to make DnB/Jungle with just a Korg Triton and an early DAW with my buddy. I think we mostly ended up just making crazy sounds and smoking weed. My friend had also got this home made multiple DVD tutorial series on the Korg Triton. It was totally made by some tweaked AF hillrod in a trailer who was super into Micro/Fidget House from the 90s. But dude really knew his shit.

Thanks dude. It works great, the only hangup, is that I can’t view 3 of 4 partitions on my PC. So I’m researching that.

Just generally speaking it is kind of funny how some of the analog gear is in many ways more compatible than the digital stuff that came later.

Hope you get it sorted : ) (btw, the 3D printed case looks great, good choice on the clearish).

Yeah, the old tech was pretty killer. I’d still be using it but went to mostly ITB.
If I don’t get it figured out, I’ll just get a pile of 4 GB micro SD cards.
I don’t sample with the Triton so 4 GB holds quite a lot of sequences etc.

Hello,

That’s really great and so much faster than using floppies !

I have a Korg Triton “Classic” and the SCSI2SD emulator V5 (the small one).
I use a 16 Gb SD card but when I select “Scan SCSI device…” in the Triton / Media info menu, no SCSI ID is recognized (?)

What are your settings for the SCSI2SD emulator please ?
You can see them with the scsi2sd-util.exe utility. Select File / Load from device.
If you can post the screenshots corresponding to each parameter tabs it would be very helpful :slight_smile:

Hello,

So I finally make it working far into last night :wink:

Here are my settings and how I proceed so it can be useful for anybody.

I’m using the SCSI2SD emulator V5 version (the smaller one) with a 16 Gb micro-SDcard.

1. Configure the SCSI2SD emulator for 4 partitions (max size partitions for Korg Triton is 4 Gb) with ID = 0, 1, 2, 3. NB: Mine is configured for 4 partitions of 2 Gb with ID = 0, 1, 2, 5 as I use it also for an Ensoniq TS-12. Configuration can be done using scsi2sd-util.exe free utility available on SCSI2SD website.

2. Insert the SDcard into the SCSI2SD emulator. NB: The SDcard doesn’t need to be partitionned or formatted.

3. Turn the SCSI2SD emulator on and wait 10 sec.

4. Turn the Triton on.

5. Select menu Disk / Media Info / Scan SCSI device => 4 devices “unformatted” will be added in the dropdown list at the top left (but no message is displayed !)

6. Select the first “unformatted” device (depending on the IDs you have choosen) and select menu Utility / Format to format the partition (Full format + give it a name). Do the same for the 3 other “unformatted” devices.

7. Turn the Triton off.

8. Turn the SCSI2SD emulator off.

9. Remove the SD card from the SCSI2SD emulator.

10. Insert it into your PC (or Mac). With Windows 10 only the first partition is visible (FAT formatted). NB: does someone know how to see the 3 others partition of the SDcard ?

11. Copy the files (PCG, SNG, KMP, KSF, WAV,…) for the Triton (see for example the website korgforums) on the SDcard.

12. Remove the SDcard from the PC and put it back into the SCSI2SD emulator.

13. Turn the SCSI2SD emulator on and wait 10 sec.

14. Turn the Triton on.

15. Select menu Disk / Load and select the partition in the dropdown list at the bottom left.

16. Enjoy ! :slight_smile: