IDMf066 VA - Breath of the Abyss - Permutations: Remixed

I’ve never had a track get compared to a rock that’s on fire before. I’ll assume thats a good thing. haha!

I liked the album and it was a pleasure to work on. Not to downplay any of the other tracks but Manton/RFJ was the highlight for me. I know who was doing what pretty much right away, and even if it was only a few vocal samples they add a lot (believe me I’ve tried to look for meaningful vocal samples before). All the tracks came out good though - there were a few things for me to tweak here and there in the masters but you all mostly know where you want to go and how you’re going to get there, which is 90% of a good song. So thank you all for giving me good material to work with.

@RFJ I appreciate the compliments on the masters man. I was thinking about what happened and the only thing I can say is I have like two more years of practice under my belt since the last album and it shows. And also I just tried to make this album loud as shit - normalization be damned. So yeah, I guess that was it.

Fid speaks in riddles.

The track is solid an lit bro.

Finally been able to listen to it!

What a superb compilation - I am certainly always humbled by the technical skills and ideas the members of IDMf bring to this world. It keeps me inspired and making me want to become better.

@makeuswhole - Your piano parts that start at 3’26" --> instant goosebumps. That instantly reminded me of Kattoo’s “Hang on to a dream” LP. Absolutely beautiful. The highlight of this release for me.

@Manton & @RFJ - THAT GLIDING BASS amidst the drums fury. Absolutely love it. Those few notes are stunning and drive the whole song dramatically. Most excellent work on the vocal samples as well! I was wondering whether you recorded those yourself…?

@White_Noise - Fantastic mastering. It made me discover so many subtleties living in @Slime’s song that I had mostly missed when listening to the stems…! The whole EP sounds top-notch.

About my remix: to think that I was really wary of straying too far from the original :laughing:

I had initially planned something very different (think: distortion, wild drums) but thought it would take me too far away from the spirit of the initial work. So I thought: can I make a happy song (to my ears) sound sad/introverted while keeping it light-hearted, using subtle touches as opposed to more extreme reworking? That’s what I aimed to do and the name “floating” is here to evoke the balance between our real-life emotions and inner dream worlds.

The vocals are Alan Watts (the late philosopher) of which both @RFJ and I are quite fond of. He wishes he had a voice as liquid smooth as Alan, haha! The recording was quite old and noisy and had some natural reverberation from the room it was recorded in, so I used “Descript” (an AI program) to clean it up and it surprisingly made it sound like he had recorded in a studio on an SM7B.

I really enjoyed your arrangement and additional harmonies and that it didn’t stray too far from the original. I think it added great contrast to the release as a whole and that your intent behind it was portrayed well and received.

AI General Discussion

@Manton - Nice! Thanks for the added info, the kind words (and your keen ear to help improve my remix)!

Those vocals are so smooth that they almost sounded like “fake old” - which makes it even more fascinating, as you have the feeling something’s kinda “off” about them when you listen but you can’t quite figure out what.

I am not familiar with Alan Watts at all. What book would you recommend I start with?

As for Alan Watts I would recommend just listening to some of his lectures on YouTube, there are a multitude of them on all various topics.

Sounds good, I’ll give it a go!

Yeah sorry I’m post weird shit sometimes.

GIF explained: it’s from the Sifl & Olly show in the intro and they scream out “ROCK!!!” When the flaming rock comes in the screen. What I meant was that track was fuckin rockin’. It’s real good man. Sorry lol

Dude, @White_Noise… how I felt about your mastering:

tumblr_mh3zecTFV31qedb29o1_500

Super impressive. I am gonna give it another round of listens but on first, second, third, and fourth listens I found no flaws at all. I loved how loud it was too. We never feel fully finished either but I’m telling you, from my end I couldn’t have done better, no way. This is a solid release! Great job to all involved.

Just listened to it, great work everbody! Digging the sound design and sense of space in the remix by Guy Wachtel. All the morphic oceans did a great job with switching up the arps and adding a smooth bed of pads for them to feel comfortable. The remix by RFJ and Manton is also great work, especially digging the drumstep parts and the drums in general. And White Noise did a great job fitting it all together, even thought the tracks include very different styles. Great release overall @all involved!

Great job on the release everyone : )

Don’t be sorry, haha! I think I knew what you meant, I just thought it was funny is all. I Appreciate the kind words and sentiment. :slight_smile:

Holy shit, these remixes are incredible. Amazing work, Manton, White_Noise, RFJ , morphic and makeuswhole!

(I can’t ping / @ more than 2 people, so this version will have to do)

Welcome back @Agent_Winds! Glad you nutted up

Haven’t been able to listen (yet), but great work all and best of with the release!! Hope it gets some traction :heavy_heart_exclamation::metal:t6:

I think this would do very well in a futuristic SCI FI movie. Something Tronesque.

Awesome!