Beat Battle Discussion

@Creepr, btw, who’s “we”?

The netlabel team consisting of myself, Creepr, Jayson, and Nostromer. And of course the NSA.

Oh, I thought Automageddon and Relic were the Netlabel team. I had no idea you guys were on that side of it.

So how are we going about deciding what’s going on the comp? Honestly, I was thinking we could put basically everything on it, all of them were good I thought.

I’m not 100% sure. I agree with you personally, but the original plan was to take the top 8 or 10 based on votes.

EDIT: Is there anyone in the poll who said they did not want to be on the album? If you didn’t keep records of that I can go and look it up. Otherwise, I assume the poll is the maximum track count.

I think mostly everyone was submitting, although i have only gotten downloads of a few of the tracks ready for mastering.

So far I have 6 tracks with downloads, 7 with mine. I haven’t heard from anyone wanting to opt out so far.

EDIT: I suppose we can wait and see what the results of the poll are, see what tracks definitely should be included, then work from there.

Anything I jam out on the hardware that is 1 second under the 7:45-8 minute mark that didn’t require edits to the length via the DAW would be nothing short of a constitutional fluke anomaly. I know now why timers are imperative in open mic/synth jam sessions. I blame the slut nature of hardware itself, I mean how does anyone keep their mitts off the knobbies?!

Major apologies for the rant.

Yo, I want to add this as a discussion topic, for these specifically.

I know I’m personally hit or miss when I participate in these. I usually focus on my own stuff, and if I get something to a degree that I want a break, I try out a sample pack.

I read the rules, try to get into it and all but that doesn’t always work. Then, I notice the deadline is much shorter because of the time I hopped on. Or whatever.

Main point/question…

Maybe if you’re reading this, you aren’t the normal pool of people that try to push something out. Before, by, after deadline. Or just at all, or not. But it’d be cool if more of us participated, joined in. All for experimentation purposes. Not for track purposes, unless you make one. I’d actually love using some of the stuff I start for other projects to release. So coming out with an idea would be nice. That way I can blow my load on finishing it for myself, even.

I know these have had a pretty set deadline for a long while, at least initially. And from appearance(lately), that always gets pushed back. Which is totally fine but it’s a repeating nature for the project.

Why don’t we extend the sample period to a week of announcing a winner(roughly). I know when I won, it was rough because I didn’t expect to win and an idea for a pack for the next one wasn’t even in my head. Work, IRL, etc besides that.

Then give 2 or 3 weeks for the actual subs. Another week for voting. Try to keep each one to around a month. No need to extend, is what it is, etc. Also putting deadline in the title might make more people open the thread? I’m also not sure many if most newer members know what it is.

But if you’re reading this and you’re new. It’s a good way to test out your projects in the sense that people will vote for it or not. This can be as simple as making a cool in-depth beat out of the samples and someone mention your bit. Or vote for it. I love this because it’s an avenue for creation, outside of my own head or slapping something at the LB.

I would personally love to see more people, that didn’t even participate in the subs participate in the voting. Could be a monthly thing, overall per project. You visit, you spend some time reading about hardware, you have a moment to listen to stuff, you see the BB is finishing, you jam out. Would love this to be a bigger community project. It did get a community release after all. And it was a nice one.

Additionally, I’ve always been a “beat” battle fan. So making it apparent your outcome doesn’t have to be or isn’t a fully fleshed out idea, allows for quick thoughts/jots to enter the votes. People will probably add in some layers, because YEA! Sick drum patterns makes for awesomeness…

If you’re reading this and you have or haven’t made something for this before…Post up your wip. Whether you win or not, some of us want to hear some cool beats. Even if the additional stuff goes beyond the point of listenable. Cool drums, melodies, basslines, etc are awesome.

This probably isn’t the same for everyone, if anyone but it can be pressuring to come up with something, just to add in a new sub. When it would be cool if some people, new and old, just threw out a WIP beat of something(besides project rules). You spend like 30 mins or more with the samples, you create something cool and you wait.

Lastly, I wouldn’t want to require feedback but I think it would be neat. I know some members here are very accurate in what they say and how they say it. They also have proper critique of people’s stuff. Might be pretty neat to see in the thread or in a summ thread, thereafter. Besides the depth of the final project but the mix. I think mixes are the most painful part. But just in general.

I seriously apologize about the rant. But I think including or adding activity to the BB will increase the awesomeness it randomly creates. There are some good projects that come from this. People speaking of Jamurary, people starting stuff in Feb. This is one you can make some cool stuffs, too. =D

when its slow it might also be a good idea to make things a bit more open ended, theme or rule wise. i know alot of the fun comes from the restrictions and the specificity, but also if i ever have the time and still procrastinate it, it’s because the theme is outside of my scope and i have to add on a process of research. sometimes i love that sometimes it holds me up. if you win one, dont even worry about coming up with an original or fresh theme, its cool if you have something exciting, but just an ordinary open genre thing is fine too and might attract more people who are looking to experiment on something specific they already have in mind.

right so there’s bb channel on idmf’s discord…just lettin ppl know in the event they wanna chit chat in real time about it…

ooooo BB chat!

thanks for the link. seems to be down at the moment though?

whats the latest with the beat battles? looks like its been a while since there has been one.

EDIT:
ignore me. i found the search button :joy:

Ahhh my apartment complex got bought out by some other company, and the IP addresses have been shifting a bunch. I’m not sure if they may have changed their settings up to change IP’s more often.

ah i see. no worries, just wanted some nostalgia :slight_smile:

Try this one:

https://tinyurl.com/yd6bmaoa

working. thanks man! <3
you have managed to get loads together! last time i was here people managed to gather, i think, about 10 packs.

thanks for the work on the archive <3

not a problem. I’ve been taking a break from the battles recently, but I try to at least to download the samples and record the rules for each one.

i am going to start DLing them all. hopefully i have enough room for all that :smiley: