Beat Battle Discussion

You might want to have deadline + 13 hours to allow for global time difference, or as long as it’s within a day.

Normally we can just specify the time in our local region, that way others can adjust it for their local time. For example, where I’m at in MST, the UTC offset is -7, so UTC -7, and it’s 10:17 right now. In an area UTC +2, it’d be 7:17 PM. I did append an optional two day extension as an idea for the host to extend the Beat Battles a little if they see fit.

One thing on my mind about 1 submission rule is that it might be better to phrase it as " 1 official submission per person, which must be announced before voting begins". That way if someone is eager enough to post multiple tracks, their enthusiasm won’t be stifled or if someone posts a track early and ends up making a better one they would rather use, they can have that option. But they still have to choose one of their own tracks as official submission for voting simplicity. What do yall think? Is this complicating things or a healthy addition? From all the discussions, I’ve figured that it’s not the amount of tracks that anyone minds but just the voting confusion.

I think that’s cool, definitely people making more than one track is cool and we’re not trying to dissuade anyone from have different projects.

Sorry, but I have no idea what that is, or how it relates to where I am. You see, where I am it’s GMT +7 until some time next spring, when it’ll be GMT +6. What I meant is to keep in mind of this with submission deadlines.

I’d look up UTC times. UTC is the international standard time scale. MST just means Mountain Standard Time (in the US), which you might know if you’re in the region, but you could easily go between MST and EST, or PST, if you’re in the states.

Otherwise, I’d look up your local conversion to UTC (hint, GMT = UTC +0).

Just checked. UTC has replaced GMT but without daylight saving.

Hey, so it looks like the thread for BB121, which I posted earlier this week, has disappeared. Does anyone know what happened to that thread?

I can re-post the BB if needed, but would nice to recover the original thread if possible since there was some discussion/clarification of the rules.

I think I may be able to fix it, I have the mod powers. Lemme see what i can do.

uggggggh so it seems an admin got a little heavy handed removing some content from a user who was spamming and deleted several threads, not just the BB121 thread. Again, hopefully we can just restore them, I can’t see how to do it myself, but hopefully an admin has the ability to do so. Worst case scenario, if we need to I have access to the post so I can just copy and paste it if it comes to that.

OK, so for anyone who’s following, I’ve copied the text of the BB121 post and the samples into one convenient archive, so until we can get it restored, this 7zip file contains everything you need for BB121:

Thanks @IO_Madness!

Just as a disclaimer to the BB community, while some community members have indicated an intent of hosting a similar competition on Metapop, this by no means signifies that the BB’s on IDMf will not continue so long as there are people who will put together sample
packs and host. That is all.

Long live the BB’s!

Sup guys I’ve been away from here for some time but I’ve recently migrated from Cubase to Ableton and found I’m much more productive now. I’m not sure how active this community is any more, I see there haven’t been any beat battles for some time, but If anyone is interested in kicking them off again, that’d be pretty cool

Beat battle ideas…

Ghost notes
Phase phuckedery
Fm am radio
Tape it up
Hard for hardware
Beat battle beat off (offbeat beats)
Polyrhythym
Polyphony
Cross rhythm
Minor key major key
Augmentation
Diminished
Jazz notes
Negative harmonies
Positive harmonies
Across the spectrum(freq band split)
Compression
Spectral craze (spec morph)
Vocal code(vocoder)
Granular synthesis
Organized rubato
Free style
Genre blender
Drums(just drums)
Melodies(just melodies)
Mid side eqing
In stereo
Mono man
Stereo space play
Glue
Compression fuckery
Epic distortion
Dirty mix
Clean mix

Etc…

Bb ideas part 2

No more safe spaces
Think Outside the box
Soft for soft synths
No vsts allowed
Re remix
Derivatives
Source samples only
Different generations
Layer cake
Sonic boom
Bassssssssss
Industrial
Board of electronica from canada(boc style bb)
No resampling
Slice and dice(make a track using only beat slicing)
Glitch
Ambiance
Epic soundtracks
Idm
Complextro
Dance your ass off (dance music)
Dnb
Jungle breakcore
Filter madness
Modular mayhem…

Thats all for now.

let me know when the next beat battle is underway. would like to partake. idk what is going on with idmf these days but would like to take on a much more serious role in the community :slight_smile:

there’s one right now!

Beat battles participation has been low…but there is one up now…also feel free to start a battle in the future if you have an idea for one.

i apologize i am severely strained for time & IRL stuff. where can i upload for submission? does a private soundcloud link w open downloads work???