Poor sound quality through External Sound Card.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
HarleyThorne
Analog Lurker
HarleyThorne will become famous soon enoughHarleyThorne will become famous soon enough
Bristol, UK.
MC Status: 110
Poor sound quality through External Sound Card.

Hi guys,

Hope this isn't in the wrong place. Basically, I have a Mixtrack Pro - the one with the built in Sound Card. I bought the decks not only to make a start on learning to DJ - but for its sound card which is, obviously, much better than the hideous one on my computer.

It means I can use my Midi Keyboard with no lag, which is obviously a good start (and important factor too). However, I notice that when I use my headphones with it, they have very poor sound quality. It's like everything is constantly 'ruffled' - that's a word that I think I may have just made up but the only one I can think of to explain it!

I have a L and R channel from the Mixtrack, and I use a plain old cable to make the two channels into one. Is this some kind of embarrasing rookie mistake? When I plug in my speakers, I don't notice the poor quality at all. Also, my headphones have absolutely no issues using anything else - even the computers on board sound card.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, and if you feel i've missed anything please let me know

Cheers

Advertisements

------------------

HarleyThorne is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Linkin Park
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: Poor sound quality through External Sound Card.

What headphones are you using? Have you checked the wiring to make sure nothings crossed?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
HarleyThorne
Analog Lurker
HarleyThorne will become famous soon enoughHarleyThorne will become famous soon enough
Bristol, UK.

Yep i've tried everything that's in view. Reconnected all the cables etc, nothing seems wrong from the outside.

------------------

Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029891
Thanked 7,249 Times in 4,505 Posts

Never heard of this product before, but if it's the 169 unit I just found on google then I'm not surprised it doesn't sound awesome.
No offence but at that price range it's very much aimed at the introductory consumer market.
Consider that most basic audio interfaces cost more than that on their own, never mind with cdj's thrown in.
Sounds like you've outgrown the intro equipment already and should move up a step.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
HarleyThorne
Analog Lurker
Bristol, UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Sounds like you've outgrown the intro equipment already and should move up a step.
Haha, I'd like to think this is true! But unfortunately my finance does not really allow me to move up a step Still, you're probably right about it just being the units quality. Shame

------------------

Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029891
Thanked 7,249 Times in 4,505 Posts

Sorry, rereading it's only a headphones issue?
Could just be that it's not pushing out a hot enough signal to run your headphones or that your headphones have a very high impedance.
Have you tried plugging the thing into an amp and then plugging your headphones into the amp instead of directly into the unit?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
HarleyThorne
Analog Lurker
Bristol, UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Sorry, rereading it's only a headphones issue?
Could just be that it's not pushing out a hot enough signal to run your headphones or that your headphones have a very high impedance.
Have you tried plugging the thing into an amp and then plugging your headphones into the amp instead of directly into the unit?
Haven't tried that, but good idea. Will look into doing that

Advertisements

------------------