FlyLo - Burial Style Beats
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
aicrag88
Minor Glitch
aicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improve
MC Status: -38889
FlyLo - Burial Style Beats

I know maybe this has been covered a couple of times already, like how to make burial style beats, but i would really want to know where do these guys like FlyLo and Burial get their beat "sounds" as in the "Texture" of their beats, i know burial uses old software and FlyLo uses ableton (At least for his LA record), but how would you guys go on making the beats sound, i dunno, "old" and "hip hoppish", do you have any patches or something that you would recommend ?

here's an example of a flylo beat texture (that is kinda similar to a burial texture)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

aicrag88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080064
Thanked 1,228 Times in 828 Posts
Re: FlyLo - Burial Style Beats

ferox tape saturator (freeware)

short tap delays in the submix
dirty reverb
vinyl emulations

generally, go for tape saturation, i think almost any daw has them.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
CCtrl
CCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MC
MC Status: 5154519

swing. lots and lots of swing.
CCtrl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf

oh, you meant the beat structure and not the sound. i do mine by literally rearranging them with maximum zoom in ableton live, arrangement view, and "snap to grid" off. there may be a similar feature in cubase, but since midi is way stronger in your daw then in mine, i would slice some nice hiphop beats and do this in the piano roll.

------------------
Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
et2009
Analog Lurker
et2009 is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 10

wait, so you send delay of the drums to a sub-mix return???

sounds interesting, could you elaborate on how and what it does?
et2009 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
ab
IDMf Artist
Duesseldorf

i used the term submix rather liberally here... duplicate track with subdued effects in an ableton group with lowered overall volume via utility gain, its just a routing and doesnt qualify for a real send/sub/whatever... effect should is the same. i find that very short delays give the beat a nice dry addition. theres a freeware effect called "bouncer" (cant find the url atm) which is great for that.

(by any means, this is just an idea, i never went for a special sound like burials drums or something, i just found out that the results sound somewhat like it)

i bet there will be loads of other interesting input in here, keep em coming!

------------------
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
et2009
Analog Lurker
Los Angeles

oh ok for sure.

the only input i can give into this is to dig around in drum breaks or sample packs until you find that perfect rim-sidestick, clap, or snap and make them your own.--- edit: obviously for hip-hop the classic sound is drums grabbed from vinyl.

from what i've heard burial usually uses one drum hit, usually a sidestick, where flying lotus layers drum hits, slightly staggered from eachother, with those crispy finger snaps on top.

after that you can apply obvious eq and compression where you see fit. try side by side comparisons too, between your mix and a track.

anyway i'll try out that short tap delay right now

Last edited by et2009; 08-03-2010 at 10:55 PM..
Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision
MC Status: 7653065

Grid mode OFF (or) Swing.

Really not that difficult.
MC Perm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
aicrag88
Minor Glitch
aicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improveaicrag88 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permutated View Post
Grid mode OFF (or) Swing.

Really not that difficult.
Thank you all for your suggestions ! I'll post results in the future if i can. Iwas always referring to the "texture" of the beats, not how to make them.

I still dont understand what you refer to grid mode off or swing though, could you please explain this ? thanks for your patience
Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
CCtrl
CCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MCCCtrl is a savage MC
MC Status: 5154519

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicrag88 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions ! I'll post results in the future if i can. Iwas always referring to the "texture" of the beats, not how to make them.

I still dont understand what you refer to grid mode off or swing though, could you please explain this ? thanks for your patience
When he says grid mode off Im guessing he's referring to not quantizing. Swing is just giving something a 'human' feel. I can't really explain it. Try googling it.

As far as the texture goes try just messing with distortion, and compression and whatnot. If you are using ableton the vinyl distortion effect is great.
CCtrl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision
MC Status: 7653065

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicrag88 View Post

Swing is generally a Quantize option, it references the original grid resolution (1/4 note, 1/2 note, etc etc) and offsets selected clips depending on the amount.

Grid Mode Off suggests that while moving your clips around, the tracks do not snap to the suggested grid resolutions set in your project.
MC Perm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
aicrag88
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by abreaktor View Post
ferox tape saturator (freeware)

short tap delays in the submix
dirty reverb
vinyl emulations

generally, go for tape saturation, i think almost any daw has them.
Noooooooooooooo.....i was really looking forward to using these. turns out theyre only windows compatible, and i has mac. does anyone have something similar for OSX ? Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
kryptolith
Barely Legal
kryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MCkryptolith is a savage MC
Winnipeg
MC Status: 20506287

get windows
kryptolith is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #14
Monstre
Ghostly
Monstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MCMonstre is a savage MC
Mad Lasers yo
MC Status: 629722

Flylo uses old school samplers. So basically search around for some saturators and some bitcrushers and use 808 hits mixed with snippets from breaks.
Monstre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #15
et2009
Analog Lurker
Los Angeles

or an sp-303/404

for mac there is PSP vintage warmer and saturator.. a friend gave them to me, i like their sound and use them when i don't feel like running stuff through my tape machines..

who knows, try and find a free plug-in that you like yourself
Old 12-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
geigercounter120
Granular Poster
geigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MCgeigercounter120 is a savage MC
Liverpool
MC Status: 21739

i think burial uses a lot of samples that are not 'drums' for his beats
he said in an interview that a lot of sounds come from video games, so it may be worth digging into the recesses of you game install directories.

some of his sounds sound to be like the click of cigarette lighters and the smack of pool balls striking each other.

you download that stuff for free (freesound? can't remember the name!) and it's also often recorded at a fairly low bitrate, which dirties-up the sound nicely!

finally, steal the beat from Massive Attack's 'Teardrop' and hey presto!

------------------

geigercounter120 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
velkrosmaak
Regular Freak
velkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MC
Bristol / Lincoln
MC Status: 32468

If you use ableton, get the Max for live pack, insert the 'humaniser' infront of whatever is driving your drums. Crank that up (automate it?) for instant less-perfect and digital sounding drums
velkrosmaak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

oh snap. Your talkin about the ***shame. Thats sort of sacred but at this point its out in the open so ill tell u some stuff. Fly lo beats are setup in various layers. Obviously. There is none of this swing or turn off the grid crap involved at all. In fact keep you grid. Youll need it. Im not going to explain everything but i feel i should mention a few things. You are going to need to switch from a triplet grid back and fourth to a 4/4th grid, high hats kiks and snares can be setup as triplets as desired and the overlapping beat sound is created by taking two beats of different tones and offsetting one of them by a triplet in the form of a 16th or 32nd note. Its a pain in the ass but well worth the time in the end. Now when you use side chain compression with this wonky beat, depending on were you use the compressor, you can also add the same fluidity to the pads or bass in your groove. It is important to play your pads and bass as whole notes if you are going to sidechain them to add motion. also read this article. I think its the best written music article that i have ever seen in my life.

calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: nosaj thing
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
velkrosmaak
Regular Freak
velkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MCvelkrosmaak is a savage MC
Bristol / Lincoln
MC Status: 32468

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoB View Post
oh snap. Your talkin about the ***shame. Thats sort of sacred but at this point its out in the open so ill tell u some stuff. Fly lo beats are setup in various layers. Obviously. There is none of this swing or turn off the grid crap involved at all. In fact keep you grid. Youll need it. Im not going to explain everything but i feel i should mention a few things. You are going to need to switch from a triplet grid back and fourth to a 4/4th grid, high hats kiks and snares can be setup as triplets as desired and the overlapping beat sound is created by taking two beats of different tones and offsetting one of them by a triplet in the form of a 16th or 32nd note. Its a pain in the ass but well worth the time in the end. Now when you use side chain compression with this wonky beat, depending on were you use the compressor, you can also add the same fluidity to the pads or bass in your groove. It is important to play your pads and bass as whole notes if you are going to sidechain them to add motion. also read this article. I think its the best written music article that i have ever seen in my life.

I'm so gonna mess around with that now!
velkrosmaak is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
PLaGuE CeLL
PLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MCPLaGuE CeLL is a savage MC
MC Status: 9698244

Samples from 200 Drum Machines: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Probably higher quality samples from 215 Drum Machines: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Plenty of old skool stuff in there to play with, nice grainy oneshots from 12 bit drum machines.

I'm not overly familiar with Flying Lotus, but I've heard Burial's Untrue album lots of times.

Here's a quick demo of a Burial style beat I made:

(It'll play from there without downloading)

I know it's not spot on, but it's kinda supposed to be the drums from Archangel

I'll walk you through how I made it if it'll help:

1) I got a sample pack called 'Dubstep Producer' which contains quite a lot of hip hop style acoustic one shots

2) I put each different drum sample on its own track, doubling up hits sometimes to try and match the rhythm and the drum sounds he used.

3) I noticed Burial's beats are quite 'dark' so I dipped some of the upper frequencies

4) Anything that needed space I used a reverb called Masterverb to some degree.

5) I sent everything to Send 1, where I used a free and awesome plugin from iZotope called Vinyl to rough everything up after a bit of tweaking

I didn't do any ambiences but in Archangel it appears Burial used some samples of radio static or highly compressed vinyl crackle for ambience, and one really strange high pitch click that happens just before the snare that I've just noticed I missed out

Advertisements

------------------
PLaGuE CeLL is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote