[Melodic Dubstep] Kyrpto - Path to Victory
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #1
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
[Melodic Dubstep] Kyrpto - Path to Victory

I feel like the mixing can be greatly improved but can't really pinpoint on how. Any ideas or feedback?

*Edit: Added Mastered version

Mastered:

Last edited by Kyrpto; 10-07-2017 at 10:08 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Melodic Dubstep] Kyrpto - Path to Victory.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #2
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21060
Re: [Melodic Dubstep] Kyrpto - Path to Victory

To me, it feels like this mix needs a little air, 8 or 10khz and up needs to come up a few DB. That's what I'd start with. My hope is that brings out a bit of the modulation of your basses and the delay taps in your arps and such. Might have to do it on individual instruments so that you bring out the right higher frequencies for each one. Please note I'm a treble head and don't go too far!

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413671

So I have to agree with White Noise x1000, this track would sound soooooooo much better if it actually had more "air" , pick up the high frequencies !!! also, right when you put that breakdown Fx synth thingy at 1:20, i'd say put a Snare drum to make the breakdown more powerful.

If you don't add air to this track, It's going to sound, live at least, the same way you hear a track being played being outside of the house party your at.... if that makes any sense...point is, MORE HIGH FREQ!!

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all

Just added the revised version. I took the advice of raising the high frequencies so I boosted it on some of the instruments. Hope I didn't over do it.

------------------
Old 14-06-2017, 03:10 AM   #5
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

You didn't overdo it by my ears, in fact there might still be some room (seriously, listen to some edm these days, the highs can be downright painful). For me, the next thing would be trying to bring out the modulation a bit, I don't know how to do it, still working on that myself.

------------------

Old 19-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler

I added the version that was mixed by a pro. Let me know how it compares and if anything should be changed. Thanks!

------------------
Old 20-06-2017, 03:47 AM   #7
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

You got the right pro. I thought the snare might've been a bit too distorted, but I don't know how much of that is your original snare being brought out vs how much of that was his/her processing. The general cleanliness of the mix finally helped that modulation to cut through like I wanted.

I was working on my own brostyle song last night when I found that putting some hard, narrow peaks and troughs into an eq before the filter modulation helped that modulation cut through more as well. That seems more like a sound-design stage thing than a mixing tip though, still, it's a recent nugget of knowledge.

------------------

Old 20-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
You got the right pro. I thought the snare might've been a bit too distorted, but I don't know how much of that is your original snare being brought out vs how much of that was his/her processing. The general cleanliness of the mix finally helped that modulation to cut through like I wanted.

I was working on my own brostyle song last night when I found that putting some hard, narrow peaks and troughs into an eq before the filter modulation helped that modulation cut through more as well. That seems more like a sound-design stage thing than a mixing tip though, still, it's a recent nugget of knowledge.
Thanks!

I personally feel that the hihats might be a bit too loud and should be brought now a notch or two. What do you think?

------------------
Old 25-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler

Okay I'm getting some feedback saying that the pro mix is badly clipped. Does anyone else notice this?

------------------
Old 26-06-2017, 03:21 AM   #10
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

Now that I'm listening for it, yes. The snare (obviously) is clipping some, but that's part of the sound design. What does it in a (for me) unpleasant way is the hi-hats. They sound pretty close to clipping in your revised mix (didn't bother checking original, pretty sure they wouldn't be troublesome there). Perhaps your engineer pushed them over the edge and limited a bit too hard (as is the dubstep way these days). IDK if a different limiter could resolve the problem or if you could try and recover the audio with something like izotope rx.

------------------

Old 26-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Now that I'm listening for it, yes. The snare (obviously) is clipping some, but that's part of the sound design. What does it in a (for me) unpleasant way is the hi-hats. They sound pretty close to clipping in your revised mix (didn't bother checking original, pretty sure they wouldn't be troublesome there). Perhaps your engineer pushed them over the edge and limited a bit too hard (as is the dubstep way these days). IDK if a different limiter could resolve the problem or if you could try and recover the audio with something like izotope rx.
I just uploaded the revised Pro Mix. Check it out and let me know if there's still any clipping.

------------------
Old 27-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #12
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

I don't want to leave you hanging, but it's been a hectic few days (putting a new PC together right now). I'll look at this within the next two days, but I don't have my sound set up right now.

------------------

Old 27-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler

Okay I just pointed out all these issues to my mixing engineer. It turns out that the snare was over compressed and dominating the waveform. I have added the link to the 2nd revision of the pro mix and hopefully the clipping and dynamic range issue has been addressed.

------------------
Old 28-06-2017, 02:03 AM   #14
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

Both still clip a bit to my ear, but I don't have access to an optimal setup right now unfortunately. To me, the second revision just sounded overall a bit less loud and bright. If you're choosing between the two, I'd go with number one, but that's just me. It might not be as technically correct, but it sounds more in-place for the genre in question.

------------------

Old 28-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #15
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Pro Mix 2nd Revision:

This sounded nothing like your past tunes I listened to. You went 1 direction, melodies follow nicely. I feel like there is nothing above 15000 hz, where are high frequences?
Overall I liked it vm

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
Pro Mix 2nd Revision:

This sounded nothing like your past tunes I listened to. You went 1 direction, melodies follow nicely. I feel like there is nothing above 15000 hz, where are high frequences?
Overall I liked it vm
Thanks! I just wanted to try something new for a change. Finally got it mastered. How does it sound?

Advertisements

------------------