FL Studio Tip & Tricks - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 18-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #121
autodial
autodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MC
Philadelphia
MC Status: 5916890
Re: FL Studio Tip & Tricks

Here's something I just learned tonight: when using the stock Fruity EQs, be aware that any frequencies you supposedly "cut" are actually not cut as much as you would like to think; you may think that you cut all those frequencies under 30Hz, but surprisingly enough, some of those frequencies will still leak through regardless of you rolling them off. If you really want to cut those buggers out, you may need to clone the EQ (with the clone having the same exact EQ adjustments as the original) in the mixer channel.

I'm not sure if what I said is factual or not, but, I heard it from somewhere and gave it a try, and it really helped improve some of my more problematic mixes.

Advertisements

autodial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #122
black.image
Learning The Ropes
black.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MC
Alberta
MC Status: 33052

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodial View Post
Here's something I just learned tonight: when using the stock Fruity EQs, be aware that any frequencies you supposedly "cut" are actually not cut as much as you would like to think; you may think that you cut all those frequencies under 30Hz, but surprisingly enough, some of those frequencies will still leak through regardless of you rolling them off. If you really want to cut those buggers out, you may need to clone the EQ (with the clone having the same exact EQ adjustments as the original) in the mixer channel.

I'm not sure if what I said is factual or not, but, I heard it from somewhere and gave it a try, and it really helped improve some of my more problematic mixes.
I've noticed this too, especially when you start making things CRAAAZZZYYYY... personally though, I don't clone the EQs anymore, best to just use notch/pass filters when that comes. This one time I had a bunch (3 or 4?) of EQs all pulled all the way down on that frequency and it still wouldn't cut the sound frequency off... I thought I was losing my mind

PS you probably already know this but you can add a filter to the fruity Param EQs by clicking and dragging those weird little diamond-y pictures above the up/down sliders

Last edited by black.image; 18-10-2011 at 09:30 PM..
black.image is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #123
autodial
autodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MC
Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.image View Post
I've noticed this too, especially when you start making things CRAAAZZZYYYY... personally though, I don't clone the EQs anymore, best to just use notch/pass filters when that comes. This one time I had a bunch (3 or 4?) of EQs all pulled all the way down on that frequency and it still wouldn't cut the sound frequency off... I thought I was losing my mind

PS you probably already know this but you can add a filter to the fruity Param EQs by clicking and dragging those weird little pictures above the up/down sliders
Yeah, I agree, filters are definitely the route to go if you really want to cut those frequencies out... The only question I have is, if my EQ cuts were still leaking low-end frequencies regardless of me supposedly rolling them off, how reliable are the filters? Is one truly good enough, or will using 2 allow me to get more closer to the ideal frequency to cut? HM!
Old 18-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #124
black.image
Learning The Ropes
black.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MCblack.image is a savage MC
Alberta

Well, if you look at the information bar thingy, rolling off is only -18db... it's a pretty decent amount, but if you turn down music you're listening to by 18db you're probably going to still be able to hear it. If you've really got your heart set on doing the double dip and you're using the PEQ2, you could always use the bar to the right to get some extra -db... though you have less room to peak things the farther down you go, but it will save some CPU. I guess the PEQ(1) it doesn't matter so much to have a bunch open
Old 18-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #125
CS5n531
Minor Glitch
CS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 1652126

Might be an easy question to answer:

If I've got a basic drum pattern drawn up, and I have a folder full of drum samples, is there a way I can easily switch through my different drum samples to see which I feel fits the best? I always have to load up the sampler, click the folder icon, click through to find a new drum sample, and load it in place. Would love to know if I could just cycle through an entire folder.

------------------
hi, I'm CAKEbuilder.
www.youtube.com/CS5n531
CS5n531 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #126
autodial
Philadelphia

Quote:
Well, if you look at the information bar thingy, rolling off is only -18db... it's a pretty decent amount, but if you turn down music you're listening to by 18db you're probably going to still be able to hear it. If you've really got your heart set on doing the double dip and you're using the PEQ2, you could always use the bar to the right to get some extra -db... though you have less room to peak things the farther down you go, but it will save some CPU. I guess the PEQ(1) it doesn't matter so much to have a bunch open
Good point, that does make a lot of sense... "Rolling off" -18Db is the same as turning something down by -18Db, which is still something fairly audible. But, it does seem like it's cutting those frequencies. Now I know that the EQ2 wasn't lying when it showed a lot of remaining low frequencies in the graphic analyzer.

I suppose that using 2 EQs with -18Db is roughly the same thing as lowering something by -36Db, which is roughly 6% on the FLStudio mixer (0% is the goal here). 3 EQs would surely cut all the frequencies, but it's probably a better idea (and easier) to just use a Fruity Free Filter.. or 2.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #127
Thomssen
Analog Lurker
Thomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MCThomssen is a savage MC
MC Status: 439971

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS5n531 View Post

If I've got a basic drum pattern drawn up, and I have a folder full of drum samples, is there a way I can easily switch through my different drum samples to see which I feel fits the best? I always have to load up the sampler, click the folder icon, click through to find a new drum sample, and load it in place. Would love to know if I could just cycle through an entire folder.
I know that if you click the middle mousebutton on the specific drum sample, it hops into your sampler withouth opening it. Then you dont have to drag it in. Dont know if that helped you though.
Thomssen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #128
black.image
Learning The Ropes
Alberta

Quote:
3 EQs would surely cut all the frequencies, but it's probably a better idea (and easier) to just use a Fruity Free Filter.. or 2.
Like I said, your filters already in there, just change the diamondy shapes...
You can also do this by right clicking the numbered circle and hovering over "Type"...

Speaking of right clicking those numbers, if you mouse over "order" you can choose how hard or soft the tension affects that number. I use steep 8 a lot for very hard low pass or high pass cuts, very handy
Old 19-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #129
autodial
Philadelphia

Quote:
Like I said, your filters already in there, just change the diamondy shapes...
You can also do this by right clicking the numbered circle and hovering over "Type"...

Speaking of right clicking those numbers, if you mouse over "order" you can choose how hard or soft the tension affects that number. I use steep 8 a lot for very hard low pass or high pass cuts, very handy
Oh wow I completely forgot about that! I knew they were there, but I think I forgot that they were because I actually never used them, to be honest.. For some reason I always stick with the basic low-shelf, peaking, and high-shelf types (though I do use the preset "Remove 20Hz + 16Khz" preset from the EQ1 to help cut any unnecessary frequencies). But, I think now I'm definitely going to start using the EQ2's built-in filters, as opposed to my typical approach, which usually consists of taking the high-shelf, cutting -18Db, and then tightening the bandwidth so it's a really tight, solid cut. That approach worked for me but I think the filters will do the job much better. So thank you for reminding me, and also helping me learn!

This is what the EQ2 looks like on my sub-bass (from the demo track vid I posted earlier in this thread):
Very simple stuff, I know... I usually give the high-shelf a tight cut (usually around 50%), but in this particular case I let it gradually roll off because it allowed the bass to fill more presence in the track (with a tight bandwidth on the high-shelf, it didn't seem as 'full' as I wanted it to; instead, it just sounded shallow, weak, wimpy, etc).
Old 19-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #130
reds91
Soundwave Mangler
reds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MC
MC Status: 535371

Quote:
Oh wow I completely forgot about that! I knew they were there, but I think I forgot that they were because I actually never used them, to be honest.. For some reason I always stick with the basic low-shelf, peaking, and high-shelf types (though I do use the preset "Remove 20Hz + 16Khz" preset from the EQ1 to help cut any unnecessary frequencies). But, I think now I'm definitely going to start using the EQ2's built-in filters, as opposed to my typical approach, which usually consists of taking the high-shelf, cutting -18Db, and then tightening the bandwidth so it's a really tight, solid cut. That approach worked for me but I think the filters will do the job much better. So thank you for reminding me, and also helping me learn!

This is what the EQ2 looks like on my sub-bass (from the demo track vid I posted earlier in this thread):
Very simple stuff, I know... I usually give the high-shelf a tight cut (usually around 50%), but in this particular case I let it gradually roll off because it allowed the bass to fill more presence in the track (with a tight bandwidth on the high-shelf, it didn't seem as 'full' as I wanted it to; instead, it just sounded shallow, weak, wimpy, etc).
Not sure if you know this or not but if you're using a pure sine wave as your sub bass then you dont need to EQ it at all.
reds91 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #131
black.image
Learning The Ropes
Alberta

Quote:
Oh wow I completely forgot about that! I knew they were there, but I think I forgot that they were because I actually never used them, to be honest.. For some reason I always stick with the basic low-shelf, peaking, and high-shelf types (though I do use the preset "Remove 20Hz + 16Khz" preset from the EQ1 to help cut any unnecessary frequencies). But, I think now I'm definitely going to start using the EQ2's built-in filters, as opposed to my typical approach, which usually consists of taking the high-shelf, cutting -18Db, and then tightening the bandwidth so it's a really tight, solid cut. That approach worked for me but I think the filters will do the job much .
Haha that's cool- after all these years I've never even looked at EQ presets! That's a handy one too.
I couldn't find that song for some reason?

BTW, I checked your profile to try and find the video- happy birthday! Funny co-incidence, you've got the same birthday as the girl I'm currently infatuated with, just got home from buying her a gift... /random offtopic

Something neat, but mind-bogglingly annoying to do too frequently, but especially handy on something like a bass when it plays in different ranges is to have it send through a second FX channel, run your sound through a BP filter that only allows what frequencies you want effected through, and then put a muted peak controller on that so only when it hits that frequency range will the sound effected.

Quote:

Eh? Go Options > File Settings, then put your samples folder into that list... then hit F8 and your folder should be on that list... open it, and you can load your samples into the selected channel with <enter>. Cycle through the folder by going <down> <enter> ad nauseum.
Old 19-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #132
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds91 View Post
Not sure if you know this or not but if you're using a pure sine wave as your sub bass then you dont need to EQ it at all.
Depending on what synth you use and what kind of attack there will be a subtle percussive hit at the beginning that you might want to EQ out.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #133
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Autodial, I think everything is sorted out?

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #134
CS5n531
Minor Glitch
CS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MCCS5n531 is a savage MC
New York
MC Status: 1652126

Quote:
Eh? Go Options > File Settings, then put your samples folder into that list... then hit F8 and your folder should be on that list... open it, and you can load your samples into the selected channel with <enter>. Cycle through the folder by going <down> <enter> ad nauseum.
It's been years and I've never set up any means of file settings in FL. This helps the process of sample hunting a million times easier, thanks so much.

------------------
hi, I'm CAKEbuilder.
www.youtube.com/CS5n531
CS5n531 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #135
black.image
Learning The Ropes
Alberta

Quote:
It's been years and I've never set up any means of file settings in FL. This helps the process of sample hunting a million times easier, thanks so much.
No worries glad to help!

It sounds lame but it's really worth it to read through the manual; even (sometimes especially) windows you already understand... there are sooo many crazy features in FL that would be impossible to learn on your own. Play with stuff as you read it so you don't forget, and for arcane stuff like shortcuts that might be handy to remember, write them in the back of your "knob settings" notebook, if you have one (and you should definitely invest in one if you use controllers!)
Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #136
SimonMacIntyre
Analog Lurker
SimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MCSimonMacIntyre is a savage MC
Halifax
MC Status: 779035

"TIP 1: Split By Channel
Once you have created a pattern in the step sequencer with a few different instrument channels (ie: kick, snare, hats, etc), goto the PLAYLIST, right-click the pattern, select SPLIT BY CHANNEL, and hey presto! Each instrument is placed into its own pattern and renamed accordingly."

Wow. You just changed my life.

------------------
SimonMacIntyre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #137
XavierC
Minor Glitch
XavierC is currently spamming hard
Manchester
MC Status: 10

sticky?
XavierC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #138
najtrows
Radial Developer
najtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MCnajtrows is a savage MC
Mariestad, Sweden
MC Status: 80913

Thanks! AWESOME!

------------------
3xosc and ALOT of distortion.. mmmm..

najtrows is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #139
ghxst
Learning The Ropes
ghxst is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

whats the easiest way to recreate this hihat pattern in flstudio

ghxst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #140
essenthy
essenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MCessenthy is a savage MC
Tokyo-3
MC Status: 19518492

load your samples on FPC and use piano roll ( set snap to 1/4 or 1/6 ) , step sequencer is useless

Advertisements

------------------
essenthy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote