FL Studio Tip & Tricks - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 18-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #81
Intrepid
Intrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MCIntrepid is a savage MC
MC Status: 833682
Re: FL Studio Tip & Tricks

Pretty sure this isn't possible... I have no facts to back up this statement though..

Advertisements

------------------
Intrepid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #82
definity
Minor Glitch
definity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond reputedefinity has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4909

Ok this isnt really tip from me, i knew it before i saw the video but i watched cos this guy is sick with the FL scratcher

OK now for his tutorial

------------------
Definity...

Check it out!

definity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #83
In10t
Analog Lurker
In10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MCIn10t is a savage MC
MC Status: 190313

Guys ready?? Let's go!

"Min" and "Max"

Create automation clip, go to the step sequencer and locate the clip (you can double click it in the playlist and it will be selected) then check out the knobs that are usually "pan" and "volume". Now it doesn't make sense to be able to tweak that on an automation clip right? So now it's replaced with the minimum and maximum value you want your controller to be automated.

Save preset as

As has been said, you can drag and drop ANY save-able preset onto many wonderful and magical things.
You have a reverb you tweaked really well and you have it at the end of your FX chain and want to copy it onto the end of another fx chain? Just open the effect and Drag+Drop onto your desired mixer track, it will load on the next open FX slot.
TIP: right click an EMPTY mixer channel and drag+drop onto another for quick resetting of a channel.

Routing

Right click your desired routing destination for the "route only to this track.." (or whatever is says) to clear up all your routing.

Route with the send value of "0%" for a sidechaining option on the destination.

Want to see what channels route to your send or out channel? Select it and all the "slaves/children" will be grayed out (you can't create feedback loops in FL).

Automation, Automation, Automation...

SICK AND TIRED of that goddamned "Last tweaked" stuff? Want to make MULTIPLE automation clips or linking controllers?

Click the "Multi-link controllers" in your recording panel at the top of the screen > Tweak all your desired knobs > Right click the "Multi-link controllers" and voila! (Humanize and randomize are cool too)

Turn Events into automation clips by clicking the arrow on your piano roll > edit > "turn events into automation clip..."

Right click an automation Point and besides being able to decide your automation curve, down below there's a "copy value" option which comes in handy when you don't want to find that elusive "80%" over and over again.

Navigate Mate!

In the piano roll press Alt+v for Ghost Notes (don't worry, this has nothing to do with the dead Asian girl under your bed), you'll see all your other notes used in your pattern.

Want to quickly jump to your bass from your synth? Double RIGHT-click on the grey notes and experience the speed.

Without selecting your notes you can edit them ALL by default. Try pressing "Delete" while in your synth pattern... now press ctrl+z - Same goes for copying and pasting all of your notes.

Lowering all of your note velocity? Ctrl + A then hold Alt and scroll... Useful.

Mute by double right clicking and holding the second click down, now you can quickly mute a couple of notes OR pattern clips.

---

Hmm, I hope some of this improved your experience guys!

May be back with more if you're interested.
In10t is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #84
Scout
Soundwave Mangler
Scout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MCScout is a savage MC
MC Status: 2847396

Under Options > Project general settings you can set the songs time signature. So a track in 3/4 would require the settings Bar: 3 and Beat: 4.

Also you can automate the tempo by simply right clicking on the bpm rate and hitting Create automation clip.

The Fruity X-Y Controller can be quite fun. Works like a Kaoss Pad. You just put two effects on any mixer track and right click on the desired knobs. Then, by hitting Link to controller a screen opens up where you select X-Y as an internal controller. Accept and you're done

------------------
Scout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #85
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762741

You can also draw tempo changes by clicking on "change events" (on the right menu that pops up after right clicking the tempo bar). Its much more accurate than trying to draw tempo changes on an automation clip...which I hate.
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #86
Mali
Granular Poster
Mali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond reputeMali has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3446

Making the oldskool jungle flange effect on drums:

Fruity Delay2 on drum loop
Set TIME to 0.01

Want to make it sound timestretched?
Fiddle with TIME from 1.00 to 0.01
Mali is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #87
Chills
Deep Underground
Chills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MC
Boston
MC Status: 7998702

If you Arpeggiate a snare and turn up the time, you get something close to that Gantz Graf Autechre sound.

------------------
Chills is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #88
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Simple easy way to do pre-send effects (parallel processing)

Insert fruity stereo shaper on the sound you would like to have a pre-send then right click a mixer track you would like to have the pre-send effect on,select sidechain to this track and name it something like parallel processing shizzness (naming optional)

Go back to fruity stereo shaper and right click on the little box in the bottom right hand corner called "in out difference" select your parallel proccesing shizznes track you now have a pre-send,make sure to have the centred faders on stereo shaper set to -6db otherwise you will only get the difference of the signal and if this is stereo it'll just be the mid and side signal sent to different tracks

Oh.....and set the pre button on stereo shaper (obviously)

Hope this helps
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #89
Awkward
Regular Freak
Awkward is currently spamming hard
Boise
MC Status: 10

One important thing for glitching things up in your music--you can adjust the pitch (and other parameters) on a per-note basis in the piano roll. This usually doesn't work for third part plugins, but all native plugins support. Just click the drop-down in the velocity section of the Piano Roll and it
will bring up a list.

This is true for the samplers like Slicex, Directwave, and WaveTraveller as well!

Per-note pitch shifts in particular make epic glitch sequences a breeze to prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunge View Post
This is a good thread. Seconding the Sticky request.
Also I'm not sure if this has already been addressed, but some things like Sytrus with a handful of effects eat up a ridiculous amount of CPU - sometimes it's worth putting that track into another file and then exporting a wave file from that and importing it back into the track.
I that is largely dependent on the setup. I run a 64-bit system and FL threaded. I've still never hit the processing threshold, on Sytrus or FL in general. Bouncing out tracks is always a good idea though, forces you to think about it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowaves View Post
When you need to apply one effect to multiple of channels (I usually do this with reverb), use send channels and leave the FX channels alone.
Any of the mixer tracks can function as a send now, which is damn handy because you can logically organize your sends side by side with the channels its receiving.
Awkward is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Pantyraid-Too Fine to Do Time
Old 18-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #90
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German

Glitching with slicex or the like can take a lot of time. use Dblue glitch and just lay back
Old 18-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #91
Chills
Deep Underground
Chills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MCChills is a savage MC
Boston

Is there a better way to pitch bend in Fl studio than that Mono/Porta slide function? I hate the way pitching bending sounds in fl studio. I'm trying to get the effect of bending from a really low to a high note, and I can't seem to get it to sound good.

------------------
Old 18-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #92
Chills
Deep Underground
Boston

To clarify, maybe I don't mean bending, but moving from one pitch to another slowly. I just hate that fl studio bend sound. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can help.

------------------
Old 18-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #93
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

If you want a longer pitch bend make the glide note longer that simple,and i don't get what you mean by "you don't like the way fruity pitch bends"am a tad confused here if it's not pitch bending the way you want it to it's because you obviously haven't set the parameters right for the particular sound your after i.e note length and distance between the 2 pitches
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #94
Muffin
Granular Poster
Muffin will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Little good to know things for newer users I guess:
You can automate a parameter for a third party plugin by finding it in the browser in the 'current project' tab and right click>create automation clip.
Don't use FL keys, use the piano sampler thing that runs in directwave that you can find in the browser.
The step sequencer's okay, but FL's piano roll is amazing, so getting a sampler like Poise works a lot better and is less limited.
If you don't use 3xosc, i suggest you do because it's probably better than you think it is. You can make sub basses, decent pads, leads, arps, etc. Basically everything you need in a song can be done simply.
I haven't used FL in months now, but that really helped me out when I did.

------------------
Muffin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #95
Awkward
Regular Freak
Awkward is currently spamming hard
Boise
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Glitching with slicex or the like can take a lot of time. use Dblue glitch and just lay back
Wavetraveller is a huge time saver for setting up slices. I can have a pattern up in minutes.
Though it doesn't provide much control per sample-slice, I always re-sample out the glitch line as needed for finer tuning and effects routing (though I do this in Audition typically).

The main thing that will speed up the process even more is the per-note settings in the Piano Roll.

EDIT:
Hadn't heard of that VST. Very intriguing.

Last edited by Awkward; 19-07-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Awkward is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Squarepusher - Red Hot Car
Old 19-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #96
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward View Post
EDIT:
Hadn't heard of that VST. Very intriguing.
Too bad. That VST was my secret weapon
Old 19-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #97
SuiJuris
Analog Lurker
SuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 220276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
To clarify, maybe I don't mean bending, but moving from one pitch to another slowly. I just hate that fl studio bend sound. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can help.
Perhaps a dumb answer but what about just automating the pitch in the channel settings for said instrument/sample. The "create automation clip" when you right click the pitch knob is a super quick way to draw your pitch change.

------------------
Freedom...
SuiJuris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #98
SuiJuris
Analog Lurker
SuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MCSuiJuris is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 220276

Allright, played something awesome on your keyboard but can't quite play it again in the same way. Make a new pattern then use TOOLS dump score log to selected pattern and hey presto everything you've played in the last couple of minutes.

------------------
Freedom...
SuiJuris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #99
Coce
Analog Lurker
Coce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2565

Anybody can explain what Fruity formula controler is?
I've been trying to figure it out for months :S
Coce is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #100
autodial
autodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MCautodial is a savage MC
Philadelphia
MC Status: 5916890

Here's how you can quickly + easily sync an acapella/vocal track of a different tempo to a track of a different tempo --

(I originally posted this tutorial on the FutureProducers forums, but I will post it here as well. -- [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

I've seen some YouTube tutorials on how to make mash-ups/sync different tempo acapella (vocal tracks) to another tempo beat, but they're usually long + boring videos. If you're using FLStudio, I have a really quick and easy technique that will probably work for you.

Seriously,this only takes around 5 minutes. If you want to get a bit more advance and do some cutting/editing, then it will take longer. We're just covering the basics of an extremely easy mash-up here.

Get the instrumental track you want to sync your acapella to. Load it up in FLStudio as an Audio Clip.
02. Determine the BPM of your instrumental track and use that as your tempo in FLStudio. If you don't already know the BPM/tempo of your instrumental, try using Google searches; an example of a decent search could be: "dr. dre" "the next episode" "bpm", or "dr. dre" "the next episode" bpm dj to help narrow it down to online dj & remixing resources. Otherwise, search Google for "bpm counter" and use that to tap along to keep rhythm (1-2-3-4) while listening to the track.
03. Load up your acapella/vocal track as an audio file. Open your acapella's channel settings and go to the "Time stretching" region located in the middle (it's in the SMP tab). Change the option from "Resample" to "Pro default."
04. Determine the acapella's original track tempo. You can use the same methods listed in #2 for this. Once you figure it out, open the acapella's channel settings, right click the wavelength at the bottom, and go to "Edit." It should open Edison automatically with your acapella's audio clip. Right click the waveform in Edison, go to "Format > Edit properties" and in the "Tempo" section located in the middle of the pop-up menu, enter in the acapella's original track bpm.
05. Now, just go to your project's playlist. Put both the instrumental clip and the acapella clip in the audio clip section. That was easy, huh?
06. You're almost done... All you have to do now is sync it. So now, while still viewing the audio clip's in the playlist, go to your acapella and in the top left of the audio clip, there's a little gadget button. Click that and select "Fit to tempo." It should now start stretching your acapella to fit your instrumental's tempo, which should also be the tempo in your FLStudio project.
07. Now, try to line it up appropriately. Listen to the original if you have to determine when the vocals first come in. Zoom in and move the acapella around. If you seemingly still can't get it to fit, click the magnet button (it's where the 'paint' and 'cut' tools are - it's the 2nd button) and select "1/2 step" or "1/4 step." This will help you move it around much more freely.
08. Now... You're done! You've just created a mash-up. Hopefully. In all likelihood. Click play and see what happens. Make any edits if you want to (or need to) by doing some cutting of the audio clip.

8 simple steps for a simple acapella mash-up. 75-80% of the time that I use this method, it works. The only time it doesn't work is when the acapella's original track follows a different drum rhythm (in which case your mash-up may just sound bland or slightly awkward), the acapella's original track structure doesn't match yours (for example the acapella's original has a bridge before the chorus but your track doesn't), or when you get the tempos wrong.

Now go have fun and post some of your cool new mash-ups.

Advertisements

autodial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote