What hardware to buy?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
DjCarloni
Granular Poster
DjCarloni is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
What hardware to buy?

Hi there, im just looking for some general advice on buying hardware to develop my music production.

Ive been using Ableton live 8 on my laptop for the past few months, sticking different wavelengths together to make tracks. Now im actually pretty serious about getting into it and looking at midi keyboards and soundcards.

Ive been told the Axiom 25 is good to start off with but will i need a soundcard to power this?

All i basically want is a simple platform to create some pretty simplistic house tracks. Im sick of buying loop packs that i havent made so hoping i can start to make my own stuff and let my imagination run wild. Any help is much appreciated!

Advertisements

------------------
DjCarloni is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: computer fan
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269467558
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,908 Posts
Re: What hardware to buy?

Start with this:
anything less is a waste of time.

With the M-Audio you will still need an audio card, not to power it up though, that should be usb, but to reduce latency and cpu workload (and other stuff).

Something like this:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

will do, it has both keyboard and audio interface, I'm sure there are plenty more, but I can't remember on top of my head.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45945781
Thanked 5,752 Times in 3,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Start with this:
anything less is a waste of time.

Tune in, Tokyo. I just expect to see some 1950's housewife with a huge pair of headphones on taking emergency calls from people frightened about the war of the worlds starting when I see that.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjCarloni View Post
Ive been using Ableton live 8 on my laptop for the past few months, sticking different wavelengths together to make tracks. Now im actually pretty serious about getting into it and looking at midi keyboards and soundcards.
If you're running Ableton fine without a soundcard, then hold off on the (soundcard / audio interface) purchase until you're more sure of what it is you're after. You might decide you'd like to have inputs for instruments, multiple outputs or phantom powered XLR inputs for certain mics.

Quote:
Ive been told the Axiom 25 is good to start off with but will i need a soundcard to power this?
Midi controllers (in most cases) don't need an audio interface at all - just plug them in via usb and they're good to go. I've run a midi keyboard, Launchpad and LPD8 without any problems. If you're happy for all your sound to come 'from the box', then it's quite possible to do it without a midi-controller at all. The controller is just going to allow you to bash out beats, melodies & bass lines etc. with keys and pads instead of clicking them in with a mouse.

If you want sounds from outside the box - you might want to look at a decent mic, a field recorder for samples, a synth...the list goes on. Or that beast Automageddon posted...though it looks a bit too small for your needs.

Last edited by scyn; 06-12-2011 at 08:22 AM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
DjCarloni
Granular Poster
DjCarloni is currently spamming hard

thanks for the advice guys. Basically my main purpose is simply so i can bash out melodies and overlap samples before putting them through ableton. I feel like i cant get my ideas right by just using the keys on the laptop.

Im not too worried about the quality of the sound and mastering my tracks as i want to build up my creative skills first. Ive been running large events in my local area so decided its about time i put some of my own material into them rather than playing everyone elses.

------------------
DjCarloni is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
jasontokita
Learning The Ropes
jasontokita is currently spamming hard
West Coast USA

Hello all, I kind of have the same question, I'm little further along than our friend DJ Carloni, but not too much..

Ive dinking around the studio for sometime now but finally ready to get my first couple pieces of gear. Im a very seasoned DJ however Im still learning gear and what everything does.. Looking at a few different synths and I think im ready to get a decent trigger as well.

Ive been playing around on my buddy's Moog Little Phatty and I LOVE the fat bass tones and low end gritt that beast pushes out so Im looking at either that or perhaps saving a little $ and going with a the slim phatty to go along with the new trigger purchase that im about to make.. on question on that tip is this>> i understand that the slim phatty and the little phatty are pretty much the same thing but is there any benefit going with the all in one unit vs. piecing the slim and a trigger?
regarding the trigger - i am looking at the Akai mpk49, any objections to that piece of gear? im also looking at the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Synth as opposed the moog however i just love the sound of the moog.
Any Jedi's out there have any input on all of this?

Sorry about the brain dump..

JT
jasontokita is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontokita View Post
Hello all, I kind of have the same question, I'm little further along than our friend DJ Carloni, but not too much..

Ive dinking around the studio for sometime now but finally ready to get my first couple pieces of gear. Im a very seasoned DJ however Im still learning gear and what everything does.. Looking at a few different synths and I think im ready to get a decent trigger as well.

Ive been playing around on my buddy's Moog Little Phatty and I LOVE the fat bass tones and low end gritt that beast pushes out so Im looking at either that or perhaps saving a little $ and going with a the slim phatty to go along with the new trigger purchase that im about to make.. on question on that tip is this>> i understand that the slim phatty and the little phatty are pretty much the same thing but is there any benefit going with the all in one unit vs. piecing the slim and a trigger?
regarding the trigger - i am looking at the Akai mpk49, any objections to that piece of gear? im also looking at the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho Synth as opposed the moog however i just love the sound of the moog.
Any Jedi's out there have any input on all of this?

Sorry about the brain dump..

JT
are you sure you need a moog right now?? id get a cheap 25 key midi controller for 60 quid and start making tracks on your daw using VSTs for a while before you consider any purchases like that

then maybe think about other things you should probably get first like a decent audio interface and some monitors e.t.c

what dya reckon?

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
jasontokita
Learning The Ropes
jasontokita is currently spamming hard
West Coast USA

ive got mackie hr824 monitors and i have a apogee interface.. i have my first ep coming out soon and a few remix projects in the works. sorry mate, im little further along that i may have come on... what do you think about those pieces of gear?
jasontokita is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontokita View Post
ive got mackie hr824 monitors and i have a apogee interface.. i have my first ep coming out soon and a few remix projects in the works. sorry mate, im little further along that i may have come on... what do you think about those pieces of gear?
hmmmmmm obviously the moog is great. dont be put off by the mopho's sounds it still sounds great but theres a big gap in performance and price. have you looked at the DSI evolver desktop?? this has analogue and digital oscilators and great modulation features

it doesnt look the best but is a great synth

in the end if you really want the moog you'll end up buying it any way lol

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
livehard85
Learning The Ropes
livehard85 is currently spamming hard

traktors new stuff looks sick
livehard85 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
KateGompert
Regular Freak
KateGompert is currently spamming hard
Milwaukee, WI

I have a DSI Desktop Evolver. I love the thing. The analog oscillators are great, as well as the digital. I'm a pretty big fan of its analog low-pass, but I've heard negatives from others. To each his own. 4 LFO's are always fun.

I also have a Doepfer Dark Energy, but am selling it. Mostly because I need the money--not because I don't like it. It has a pretty cool sounding set of oscillators, a mix between beefy analog and lo-fi grit.
KateGompert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Ni-Kulo
Soundscaper
Ni-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

the pic reminded me of this guy ;D pics are of the same studio

haha insane^^

------------------
~ Ni-Kulo Club Steiner ~

-) ~ the CHAMPA WOODS are back ~ 15.10.13
Ni-Kulo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts

^Whose studio is that anyway?

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Oktipus
Minor Glitch
Oktipus will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjCarloni View Post

I have an Axiom 25 I use with my laptop for working while I'm on the road. It just plugs into the usb and you're off. Works perfect with Ableton, actually comes with Ableton light version.

For the guy asking about a moog Little Phatty, I have a little Phatty and honest truth is you couldn't tell the difference between the hardware synth and using the Axiom controller with Arturia Minimoog VST or Minimogue VST. The only difference is playability.

Dave Smith Morpho will definitely be my next hard synth but for those on a budget, the Akai Miniak is a great little VA (virtual analog) synth. Novation Ultranova is also another excellent little VA.
Oktipus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389998
Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
^Whose studio is that anyway?
After some googling:
Tlaloc Studio / m127

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
RFJ (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Ni-Kulo
Soundscaper
Ni-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to beholdNi-Kulo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

true ;D

m127c is famous for this @ gearslutz forum^^

------------------
~ Ni-Kulo Club Steiner ~

-) ~ the CHAMPA WOODS are back ~ 15.10.13
Ni-Kulo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Buy a copy of maschine and a small midi keyboard IMHO.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
fingolin61
Learning The Ropes
fingolin61 is currently spamming hard

Any Ideas on what programs to buy for a beginner who isn't going to do this as a profession but as a hobby to amuse myself and friends?
fingolin61 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingolin61 View Post
Any Ideas on what programs to buy for a beginner who isn't going to do this as a profession but as a hobby to amuse myself and friends?
This thread is about hardware do you have any questions as related to that?

If not take a look at this:

It pretty much answers the question you are asking in if you read the first post.

It's all there.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
fingolin61
Learning The Ropes
fingolin61 is currently spamming hard

thank you. sorry for posting in the wrong section

Advertisements