What hardware should I buy? Look here before you ask.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Head Twin
Granular Poster
Head Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 1055362
What hardware should I buy? Look here before you ask.

I just posted this as a replay but thought a should start a new thread because there seems to be alot of ppl asking things like "what hardware should I buy", and "I have $xxx, wats a good hardware synth?"

I just wanted to make a point that spending lots of cash wont make you music better. You just need a few basic things and a lot of time and practice.

Things you need to write cool music:

Computer- cheep as, especially if you build your own (easy as!) It doesnt have to be the killer, if you buy it new it will still dick on the machines we were using 5 years ago.

DAW- Cubase, Ableton, Logic, FL, Cakewalk and Pro Tools are some good ones. Have a look at a few, then pick one and stick to it. You are going to want to get to know you DAW inside out to write good music.

Audio card
- again even most the cheep ones should get you through these days.

MIDI keyboard- yet again so many cheep options these days its not funny. (such a good time to get into writing electronic music.)

Monitors
- This is where you should spend your money. KRKs, Yamaha hs50/80 and makie are some good ones.

One or Two really good subtractive synths
- Something like Massive or z3ta. (Dont go and download a bunch of different synths. Just get 1 or two good synths and learn how to use them well.)

Some VST fx- EQ, Compresser, reverb, flanger ect. You can alot of good ones online for free if you look.

Thats it!

If you have these and arnt writing decent music then just sit down and practice more, look for TUTs, and ask alot of questions about production on forums like this.

After you start to get your head around it then look at trying to buy some hardware (and you will be willing to spend up because you will know that music a hobby you really want to put time and money into).

Please add to this list if you think I missed something. Or make suggestions as to what brands/models you like.

Advertisements

Head Twin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Head Twin
Granular Poster
Head Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MCHead Twin is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 1055362
Re: What hardware should I buy? Look here before you ask.

Oh, and a good sampler will be important too. Battery and Kontakt are some awesome NI ones.
Head Twin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
4nerub
4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6462

Nice post man!

I was wondering actually which monitors should i use and now im looking for those brands you mentioned!

------------------
"Welcome to electronic music production! Please say goodbye to your family, videogames, TV, friends, other hobbies and any meaningful relationships you may still be clinging to. Prepare to spend all of your free time working from now until you find yourself wallowing in a puddle of your own tears in the corner out of frustration."
4nerub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
jasontokita
Learning The Ropes
jasontokita is currently spamming hard
West Coast USA
MC Status: 10

Moog and Dave Smith Instruments I've heard are very nice. I personally have the Mackie HR824's and LOVE them.
jasontokita is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

You didn't actually answer your own question. What if people don't want to use software? Not everybody asking about hardware is someone thinking that if they get hardware their music will get better.

Sorry bro, thread title isn't correct...

And kudos for trying to answer a commonly posted question around here (ie. "What do I need to produce?") but it's become apparent in my time here that threads like this wont be read by the people that need them.
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237479

Heh, I think I'm writing decent music, and I don't even have quality monitors (I'm using headphones, mostly due to the fact that I could not afford voice insulation for my room, and I live in a block of flats, where breathing can be heard three stores down...), nor do I have a MIDI keyboard.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744033641
Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,546 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Twin View Post
I just wanted to make a point that spending lots of cash wont make you music better.
Not spending lots of cash but buying what gear is right FOR YOU, definitely will. The first and most important thing when developing your studio is discovering your favoured workflow. It took me years of fucking about buying and selling using different software and hardware to discover this.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

How about posting gear and software people can actually afford?

Advertisements

mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote