Why do you use hardware? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #101
gaki
Learning The Ropes
gaki will become famous soon enough
State side
MC Status: 60
Re: Why do you use hardware?

I like having the gear in front of me and ready to play, i don't have to look at a screen and there is no window jumping, its just me and my synths. The hardware being there is just way easier for me. I don't know why. It's also limiting and helps with making my own drum sequencing and sound patches.

Advertisements

gaki is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to gaki
relic (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #102
gaki
Learning The Ropes
gaki will become famous soon enough
State side
MC Status: 60

bleh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I don't usually use hardware anymore, but I started out with hardware and got tons more tunes composed back then. The results weren't as good as what I got when I combined hardware and software though. The main advantage was versatility with configurations and manual control. Unfortunately, after the end of the 1990s a lot of companies went out of business and the ones that didn't stopped producing gear that was as versatile and expandable.

However, I might start buying hardware again simply because sometimes the price is better when buying used gear and needing certain sounds. Also, the resale value is much easier and better than with softwares.

The sound palette of hardware might not be as good for certain sounds, but for other sounds, there's really no other way to get it easily. But again, I'd say a hybrid studio is the most powerful.

Anyways, thanks for reading. As a reward, here's a theremin head I saw on Amazon.com tonight:

Nightmares.
gaki is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Hydrus
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 AM   #103
Eden'sArchitect
Learning The Ropes
Eden'sArchitect is currently spamming hard
Fresno CA
MC Status: 10

I started off using a Roland Fantom G6 and made my music using that alone, but everything I learned I learned through experimentation, so eventually I found out why my songs were so quiet and horribly equalized, eventually down the line I learned about mastering, and still im sure there's lots of tips I need to learn on the right ways to master. But now I make all my mixes on my Roland FA-06 and then take it over to Cubase to do my mastering. But I wanna know if anybody else uses the Roland FA-06 as their main workstation and if you can do all your mastering on that itself? I don't really consider myself an expert, even though I've been playing with music production since high school, (im 25 now) cause I tend to procrastinate a lot since I work full time and am a single father, sometimes it's hard for me to feel motivated. But I definitely put a lot more patience into my work now than back when I first started.
My only regret so far is my procrastination, cause I only have a handful of songs, which by now I should have had way more, but atleast I'm having fun and it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I finish a project. But anyway sorry to ramble on, im new here and I hope to learn a lot more about production from these forums and finally take things an extra step further in my knowledge.

P.s my choice of music to create is usually in the synthwave category, sometimes I like to try my hand at trance, but to me the most complicated and a big goal for me is to fully have a good understanding of the process to create dubstep like skrillex or knife party (but I tend to give up and stick to what I DO know how to do, but it's all a learning process and I never forget what I know, just takes the patience and motivation to actually sit down and do the work.)

Advertisements

Eden'sArchitect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote