What software / hardware...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 19-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
gobes
Learning The Ropes
gobes is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon5 What software / hardware...

Hi all,

For an absolute beginner - what software and hardware would be recommended for ambient, down tempo minimalist music production? I've been recommended AKAI midi keyboards, and either Reason or Logic Pro.

On the Logic Pro vs Reason front... they they both offer a similar level of functionality, or is one geared towards a different approach?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisements

gobes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Tycho, BOC, Gary Numan, Stelladrone...
Old 19-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426
Re: What software / hardware...

I wouldn't recommend Reason. Not that it's bad but it won't teach you much about using other apps...its very different from anything else
Def go with Logic if you're a macfag
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

You know you could have kept all this in one thread

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

the rules state you must spam 5 bullshit threads in under 3 minutes to get to post in the LB
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
karlcomplexxx
Learning The Ropes
karlcomplexxx is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
the rules state you must spam 5 bullshit threads in under 3 minutes to get to post in the LB
That's what I'm doing haha
karlcomplexxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
redgly
Minor Glitch
redgly will become famous soon enoughredgly will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I would go with logic and if you can effort get a virus ti and you'll be happy
redgly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlcomplexxx View Post
That's what I'm doing haha
You failed
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560080
Thanked 7,383 Times in 5,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgly View Post

There are also plenty of awesome soft synths that are geared toward ambient sounds...Camel Audio Alchemy, NI Absynth (all around amazing sound design tool)...Omnisphere...Green Oak Crystal (free!).

Actually if you invest in Logic it has some good synths to get you started if you are a total beginning on sound design. I'd also look into purchasing a field recorder to gather you own samples and ambiance. A lot of great pads can be made from stretching, maybe reversing audio samples and adding FX

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
apistat
Granular Poster
apistat has a spectacular aura aboutapistat has a spectacular aura aboutapistat has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Green Oak Crystal (free!).
This. I'm also a fan of Zebralette, the free version of Zebra by u-He.

Quote:
Actually if you invest in Logic it has some good synths to get you started if you are a total beginning on sound design.
Sculpture is vastly underrated - I've used it a lot.

To the OP, I also produce ambient music and currently use Logic Pro and an AKAI LPK25 as my MIDI keyboard. This set up works fine for me, even if it is currently a bit bare-bones.
apistat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: BoC
Old 27-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Camel Audio Alchemy
...is really good!
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
stanleyg
Learning The Ropes
stanleyg is currently spamming hard

That all completely depends on the nature of what function you are supposed to do with your software and hardware component.
stanleyg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Techmonkey
Microknight
Techmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
I wouldn't recommend Reason. Not that it's bad but it won't teach you much about using other apps...its very different from anything else
Def go with Logic if you're a macfag
Speaking from my experience, that's how it worked for me. I started with Reason 4 and found the rack emulation cool looking but too confusing. By the time I got to Reason 6, I hadn't connected with the program at all and would go months without touching it. I picked up Live and made more progress in a month than I had in 1.5 years off and on with Reason. Ambient is my primary interest and so far I've been able to start creating the sounds the I wanted with the stock tools. Just now (four months in) looking at plug ins. If you go Live or Logic, it's worth the $25/mo. For a subscription to MacPro Video. Very good video tutorials IMO. Maybe even watch a few of the level 101 for each of the software you are considering. If one program tutorials make more sense to you that the others, that might be an indicator of which product to go and grab the trial for.

As for hardware, I'd consider the following:

1. An inexpensive 25 key MIDI keyboard. Something like an M-Audio Oxygen25 will run like $60.
2. An entry level sound card. I've been very happy with my Fastrack Pro. Keep around the $150 range and you should be able to get a good 4x4 audio interface that will last you years or until you are ready to graduate to more serious gear.
3. A decent set of headphones for playback/mixing. People will adamantly tell you that you shouldn't use headphones for this, but for a beginner on a budget, this is much less expensive than monitors and a less expensive way to test the waters of music production. I'm using a set of AKG 701s, which are pricey, but neutral. I'm sure others could recommend something effective but more affordable.

HTH
Techmonkey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Korrupter
Minor Glitch
Korrupter is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 11

I would highly recommend people who are interested in ambient production check out the free reaktor instrument called skanner.
Korrupter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Dreamometry
Minor Glitch
Dreamometry is a jewel in the roughDreamometry is a jewel in the roughDreamometry is a jewel in the roughDreamometry is a jewel in the rough
Minnesota
MC Status: 310

I'd personally say Ableton Live... just the way it's laid out with the session/arrangement view gives great flow to building songs/ideas... you'll be able to hear how different combinations of clips sound combined sound so simple and you'll come across things you wouldn't have imagined before sounding great. It's a very easy to use program, but you can still do anything you want with it.

I second the headphones for mixing when cash is tight. I started this way and honestly going back later to these mixing, they were pretty damn good. Then it is always a plus to have them when you do get monitors for cross-reference on your mix.
Dreamometry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199645618
Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

I'm glad this thread was brought back from the dead because this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgly View Post
Really made me laugh.

Both the op and this guy are long gone, probably got famous or something, but this is probably the worst beginner advice I've seen in my time here.

Advertisements

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote