need some ideas for resampling
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 28-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler
zaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
need some ideas for resampling

Okay as the title says, i need some ideas on resampling in each frequency range since i lately started resampling. I am going really blind atm, i use anything from effects + pitching to stretching + reversing but all those are too general and the sounds that come out are totally random.

So i would like some opinions/links or anything on what you guys use e.g. for low frequency effects or mid or high, what do u use on precussive instruments and basses, basically anything anyone would like to share is welcome and will save me MUCH time and effort from figuring out myself. I will REALLY appreciate it, and thank you in advance

Advertisements

zaroukos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts
Re: need some ideas for resampling

Why are you freq splitting and resampling? Answer that first then you will know what to do next. For example, everyone likes heavily distorted bass now and again, but distorting the low end is usually bad. In this case I would freq split so I could distort just a bit of the mids and high end.

Honestly, I only resample to save CPU on big projects or if I want to commit a sound to audio and be done with sound design.

Resampling is touted as some magical process. It's not. Have a reason to do it. Then you will know where to go next.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

You're asking like " I have unlimited money and free time, what should I do with my life? "

The possibilities with resampling are so vast...

Try choping very small bits of any sound, map them across your keys, time strech them down to like 1%, make a drone pad synth with maybe a few effects.

Record some drumloop, play it back and assign a knob to a time stretch and another to pitch. Resample from a performance.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler
zaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Why are you freq splitting and resampling? Answer that first then you will know what to do next. For example, everyone likes heavily distorted bass now and again, but distorting the low end is usually bad. In this case I would freq split so I could distort just a bit of the mids and high end.

Honestly, I only resample to save CPU on big projects or if I want to commit a sound to audio and be done with sound design.

Resampling is touted as some magical process. It's not. Have a reason to do it. Then you will know where to go next.
i told you i am trying totally random stuff...Mastering the sound itself, resampling the sound itself, resampling its range of frequencies, i do anything that comes to my mind.The hell, everybody knows there are unlimited things to do. Its just when you dont have someone to give you even the basic info on "what" or "how" you try areas that are hard to get something out off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
You're asking like " I have unlimited money and free time, what should I do with my life? "

The possibilities with resampling are so vast...

Try choping very small bits of any sound, map them across your keys, time strech them down to like 1%, make a drone pad synth with maybe a few effects.

Record some drumloop, play it back and assign a knob to a time stretch and another to pitch. Resample from a performance.
So you're saying there is nothing "simple" or "commonly used" that someone could give advice to start from? Most people when they move into the "advanced" category of something, usually forget how it is to be a newcomer into the same subject

Last edited by zaroukos; 28-06-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Old 28-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564530
Thanked 7,472 Times in 5,276 Posts

And I told you, if you don't have a good reason then don't do it. Noodling around is great, but noodle with purpose. There are tons of articles about resampling all over the internet. Hell, there is probably a resampling thread on IDMf somewhere.

As aeor told you, your question is very broad.

Also, I did give you an example...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

That took me 20 seconds to find.

Last edited by relic; 28-06-2013 at 08:04 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaroukos View Post
So you're saying there is nothing "simple" or "commonly used" that someone could give advice to start from? Most people when they move into the "advanced" category of something, usually forget how it is to be a newcomer into the same subject
Well, it's not really that complicated, you just fool around and experiment, because anything goes as for resampling, and just listen to the end result.

More simpler stuff would be like, sample a small bit of sound and make a wavetable out of it (loop it constantly and pitch it upward until it sounds cool) and make a synth out of it.

Record a performance synth (or write down a chord progression on a synth) and them chop it up, pitch all the samples up by say.. 2 semitones and add portamento between them.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aeoR
zaroukos (28-06-2013)
Old 28-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
Well, it's not really that complicated, you just fool around and experiment, because anything goes as for resampling, and just listen to the end result.

More simpler stuff would be like, sample a small bit of sound and make a wavetable out of it (loop it constantly and pitch it upward until it sounds cool) and make a synth out of it.

Record a performance synth (or write down a chord progression on a synth) and them chop it up, pitch all the samples up by say.. 2 semitones and add portamento between them.
See? that was a small tutorial on how i would make a synth. That's the kind of info i am looking for, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
And I told you, if you don't have a good reason then don't do it. Noodling around is great, but noodle with purpose. There are tons of articles about resampling all over the internet. Hell, there is probably a resampling thread on IDMf somewhere.

As aeor told you, your question is very broad.

Also, I did give you an example...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

That took me 20 seconds to find.
I cant find what i wanted at least from the keywords i tried. i had downloaded the pdf mentand and i didnt find what i am looking for (at the moment).Although i kept it to go into it with detail some other time.Generally i want to get more into resampling because i want to make my own library of sounds, for future use.

Last edited by zaroukos; 28-06-2013 at 08:14 PM..

Advertisements