FL Studio Tip & Tricks - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts
Re: FL Studio Tip & Tricks

Ok, here's a tip..

Tempo control with a joystick/joypad using the X-Y controller:
  • Place an X-Y controller on the master track in the mixer, now that you're in the X-Y controller; enable your joystick/joypad by the joystick icon.
  • In the main panel, right click the tempo display and select "link to controller".
  • Now you have the Remote Control settings, and under Internal Controller; choose "X-Y ctrl (Master) - Y". Also enable "record automation" if you need that.
  • Select the "Y" in the X-Y controller, and adjust min/max to place yourself between, say, 100 and 160 BPM, e.g..
  • Now make a simple or advanced beat in the step sequncer. Something rythmic. Play and voila! ..You can now adjust the tempo of your track with your joystick's Y-axis.
I sometimes use this to post-adjust the very advanced tempos myself, like so:

The piano is the Steinway B from EWQL SO Silver and the composition is Chopin: Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2.

The possibilities are endless (and quite nerdish) with the X-Y Controller.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Thomas; 01-09-2008 at 11:10 AM..

Advertisements

Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #22
ccm
Regular Freak
ccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 6450

^^that was really pleasant...thanks
ccm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
napalmbob
MaKiNG PHaT BeaTZ
napalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MC
Geelong/Victoria
MC Status: 1130741

Anyone have any tips for using FL Studio live?

I've seen it done before by some tekno phreekz and wondered if anyone had tried it. It may not have the smoothness of Ableton Live with regards to audio clips and not glitching when you load plugins, but I'd like to expand my options

Oh, and can we get a sticky up in here?

------------------
"Alot of people these days seem to listen to music through their eyes." - DoctaMario
napalmbob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm View Post
^^that was really pleasant...thanks
Thank you yourself

Here's another tip..

I'll let this video speak for itself..

Li-Li-iii.. Like.. That..
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #25
redfive
redfive is a splendid one to beholdredfive is a splendid one to beholdredfive is a splendid one to beholdredfive is a splendid one to beholdredfive is a splendid one to beholdredfive is a splendid one to beholdredfive is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 881

I jus discovered this today and it's pretty fucking cool. If you have an instrument that you'd like to have some character, then use layers! Like say some drums with several different varying takes on a snare hit, you can place all those snare samples on the sequencer and then set them to be children of the Layer. Lay down your snare hits on the Layer and then enable "Random", which will randomly choose one of the snare samples to play that note with. This also lends itself to creating some very random energenic beats/melodies.

Crossfade is also pretty handy if you want only one of those samples to dominate and the rest to lay low.
redfive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
lonewolf
lonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 129804

Bump
lonewolf is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #27
MAZ3
Minor Glitch
MAZ3 is currently spamming hard
Silver Spring, Maryland
MC Status: 10

Fl studio has the best interface out of any software I've tried, which is why I use it exclusively. This thread is the shit man.
MAZ3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #28
Dogbreath
Average sad cunt.
Dogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MCDogbreath is a savage MC
Edingurgh
MC Status: 22404

Awesome thread. I thought i was an FL guru but ive picked up a few tips.

------------------
Dogbreath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #29
o-dio
Savage Mad Cunt
o-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MCo-dio is a savage MC
Wafflopolis
MC Status: 229061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Thank you yourself

Here's another tip..

I'll let this video speak for itself..

Li-Li-iii.. Like.. That..
Now thats the mutts nuts.

------------------
o-dio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #30
napalmbob
MaKiNG PHaT BeaTZ
napalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MCnapalmbob is a savage MC
Geelong/Victoria
MC Status: 1130741

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

I jus discovered this today and it's pretty fucking cool. If you have an instrument that you'd like to have some character, then use layers! Like say some drums with several different varying takes on a snare hit, you can place all those snare samples on the sequencer and then set them to be children of the Layer. Lay down your snare hits on the Layer and then enable "Random", which will randomly choose one of the snare samples to play that note with. This also lends itself to creating some very random energenic beats/melodies.

Crossfade is also pretty handy if you want only one of those samples to dominate and the rest to lay low.
Thats wicked, I don't normally use layer channels, so thanks

Also, lay down some hihats, clone the sampler, send to piano roll (rightclick), Alt+R, adjust the pitch, pan and volume knobs to create a really interesting backing to your hihats (or any sound).

And try automating the arppeggiator :O

------------------
"Alot of people these days seem to listen to music through their eyes." - DoctaMario
napalmbob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #31
lonewolf
lonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MClonewolf is a savage MC
London

U can also do some nice variable stutter stuff with fl by loading whatever sample or synth and switchiing to the arpegiator section of the channel settings, set the chords to none and attach the length control to a knob on your midi controller, now play a note and fiddle with the knob and u will get a varied stutter. sorry for the vague tip when i get home i will write a proper version just in case i have confused u all
Old 30-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #32
ccm
Regular Freak
ccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond reputeccm has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 6450

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

some:

Quote:
music theory cheating

Quote:
Melodies from chords, chords from melodies

Quote:
introduction to intervals

There are some more on youtube (Reason stuff too...).
ccm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
etonloupe
Analog Lurker
etonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3192

The different color notes indicate the 16 different midi channels.

When using the slicerX plug if you color a note with a odd midi channel it will play the note back in reverse.
etonloupe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #34
etonloupe
Analog Lurker
etonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond reputeetonloupe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3192

Also playing a triad with each note on a different channel then sliding to 3 other notes on different midi channels using a synth with multiple midi channels with the same patch will give you sliding chords =D
etonloupe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 AM   #35
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Originally Posted by etonloupe View Post
Also playing a triad with each note on a different channel then sliding to 3 other notes on different midi channels using a synth with multiple midi channels with the same patch will give you sliding chords =D
O yeah, i've been meaning to write something about this similar approach, although the result isn't sliding chords. Once you have the notes of the chords on different channels, ideally more than three but that's fine too, pan them all out to different degrees. It works well with an even numbered amount of notes, so you can leave the highest and lowest notes in the middle, then pan all the others out, alternating left and right, with the bassier notes more centered and the higher ones perhaps 100%. This'll give you a unnatural, but at the same time very pleasant and natural, full spread to the chord, and 99% of the time imo in sounds better than just trying to achieve fullness through a frequency spreader or reverb. (though you might want to add reverb afterwards anyhow for an extra touch, i'm a reverb junkie so take that how you will). Give it a try.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #36
lonewolf
London

Any more for any more?

Thought it was a good thread.

Sorry for bringing it up again couldn't resist.
Old 31-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #37
Sound Design
Diet Yoda
Sound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MCSound Design is a savage MC
In my head
MC Status: 106007

Man what would i give to read this on german
Sound Design is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #38
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmbob View Post
TIP 1: Split By Channel
Once you have created a pattern in the step sequencer with a few different instrument channels (ie: kick, snare, hats, etc), goto the PLAYLIST, right-click the pattern, select SPLIT BY CHANNEL, and hey presto! Each instrument is placed into its own pattern and renamed accordingly.
You have made my pancreas shoot out rainbows.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
Signal:Noise
Deep Underground
Signal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MC
South. UK
MC Status: 28625

Formulas when assigning controllers.

You know when you want to assign either a physical midi controller or one of FLs internal controllers to a parameter? seen the little graph at the bottom of that window? did you know you can assign your own formula to change how the controller effects the parameter?

Try it…basic stuff is things like y=x (that's just the standard straight line from bottom left to top right. I can't think of any specifics off the top of my head but try stuff like y=1/x, y=x^2 and stuff like that. If you don't have a graphical representation in that little box it hasn't worked, but play around. You can also do clever stuff like limit the range that the controller effects the parameter, so if you have a specific frequency range you want to automate, you can do this but still use the full range of the controller.

I'll try and do some screen shots, but it's on the other computer.
Signal:Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #40
Signal:Noise
Deep Underground
Signal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MCSignal:Noise is a savage MC
South. UK
MC Status: 28625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
I'd like to hear some opinions from other diehard FLS users, and i'm probably going to hear some dissenting opinions, but it's my belief that you don't really NEED any version past 5.
I'm still on 4, which does the job, but I do want some of the functionality in later versions…like automation clips.

Advertisements

Signal:Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote