Audio Files or Midi Files
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 23-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
YvesB
Minor Glitch
YvesB has a spectacular aura aboutYvesB has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Audio Files or Midi Files

Well this is my question, i have seen lots of different famous producers videos/tutorials/previews and i always see that most of the time on their DAW session they use audio files, for like kicks, drops, keys etc and i find it weird that almost all of them use this technique in stead of just using a vst of whatever with midi notes. Is there a specific reason to do this?
Hope you guys get my question and sorry for my bad english

Advertisements

------------------
YvesB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: Audio Files or Midi Files

Can be for multiple reasons really. Those audio files could be bounced down from vst plugins, I can imagine that they would completely bounce a finished song into stems. Perhaps they have a bunch of external synths they record? Perhaps they just like to bounce something faster?
Drums in separate audio files or in midi is just a matter of preference, (just like everything basically).

It's not better or worse, it is just the workflow you have.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Well with drums that midi will sometimes trigger audio so it's not too different. With synths I'd guess it's just easier on the cpu and ram to bounce it down to audio once they have the patch nailed down. They can always turn off the midi channel and keep it just in case it's needed again.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541130
Thanked 7,004 Times in 4,977 Posts

I just prefer audio. And I save many versions of my project files so I can always go back. I run into way less surprises with audio. A lot of complex modulation FXs evolve somewhat randomly over time. If you want to capture and repeat certain moments you need to record and use audio.

I also prefer destructive editing so audio is preferable in that way as well

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Compo with midi..then bounce to mangle..

many many takes...

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
relic (24-09-2013)
Old 25-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351

this prob doesn't make sense but... lets say I have a MIDI track, what benefit would I get by exporting this as an audio file and then inserting it back into the project? speaking from Logic point of view... having it as an audio file would mean I could time stretch it and so forth as well though..

------------------

reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541130
Thanked 7,004 Times in 4,977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticent View Post
this prob doesn't make sense but... lets say I have a MIDI track, what benefit would I get by exporting this as an audio file and then inserting it back into the project? speaking from Logic point of view... having it as an audio file would mean I could time stretch it and so forth as well though..
Practically you are saving CPU and you are committing to a choice. Otherwise its preference.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Str8Jaketed (25-09-2013)
Old 27-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #8
Army of Ninjas
Minor Glitch
Army of Ninjas is a jewel in the roughArmy of Ninjas is a jewel in the roughArmy of Ninjas is a jewel in the rough
Salt Lake City, Utah
MC Status: 260

Freeze tracks?
Army of Ninjas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
EjMU
Analog Lurker
EjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to allEjMU is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

What Numerical said. it takes a shitload off of weight off the CPU.

------------------

Old 28-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
studiobee
Minor Glitch
studiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of lightstudiobee is a glorious beacon of light
St. John's
MC Status: 460

I use Cubase and I often find MIDI rendered bouncedowns to be less accurate than audio ones. So, when I'm ready to commit, I'll remove most effects, render to audio, add the effects into the audio tracks and mix. This would work better if I were ready to commit on more projects!

There are also certain techniques that only work on audio.
studiobee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

I just wanted to make a quick point...

MIDI is only data..which is why it saves CPU cycles.MIDI doesn't know if its being used to trigger a VST or hardware synth or FX unit or a lighting rig for that matter.

Just wanted to make a quick clarification for our younger producers/musicians ho may not understand the difference.Not implying that they don't just clarifying for those who ma not know.

carry on..

old dude.out!

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
fletchflash
Granular Poster
fletchflash is a jewel in the roughfletchflash is a jewel in the roughfletchflash is a jewel in the rough

I always try to commit!

synths etc that arnt bounced down are just an invitation for unnecessary tweaking.

I always mute and turn off the vst and keep it in an 'archive' folder on cubase just in case.
Audio is so much easier to work and chop etc
fletchflash is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchflash View Post
I always try to commit!

synths etc that arnt bounced down are just an invitation for unnecessary tweaking.

I always mute and turn off the vst and keep it in an 'archive' folder on cubase just in case.
Audio is so much easier to work and chop etc
This is personal preference, there is no rule or single advice that counts. I like to keep everything in midi for a while, makes it easier to change stuff depending on the new parts you add.
You can't completely predict what way your track will be heading to so it can be nice to keep your options open imo.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

MIDI is like water, audio is like clay. When the MIDI is "frozen"/rendered via the VSTi, then it becomes like clay that can be molded into something more interesting. right?

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
fletchflash
Granular Poster
fletchflash is a jewel in the roughfletchflash is a jewel in the roughfletchflash is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
MIDI is like water, audio is like clay. When the MIDI is "frozen"/rendered via the VSTi, then it becomes like clay that can be molded into something more interesting. right?
I like that! there is definately alot of things you can do once its clay audio you cant do whilst midi (or easily anyway).

But then again when you bounce down you lose control of filters, envelopes etc, things to make a sound interesting in a track
fletchflash is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
sacrifice
Learning The Ropes
sacrifice has a spectacular aura aboutsacrifice has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I allways bounce to audio. I started doing this after i got tierd of my old tracks not loading properly if i didnt have the old au/vst's i was using at the time. Also, audio files are universal and you can switch daw and load those old tracks.

Another thing is that if you want to scoulpt the sound, move bits around, reverse stuff, catch the tail on a sertain effect, then you need to be in audio.

In audio we trust.
sacrifice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

My projects are pretty much 95% midi, but I'm not as chop glitch destroy happy as some others on this forum. That being said...this thread has gotten me curious and now I'm gonna bounce a ton of shit and see how it goes.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31360

in my case:
- external gear always goes to audio. i sometimes save midi files for later, but i don't actively work off of those. they're sort of like a backup that i will never expect to work.
- soft synths say in midi up until i start layering effects, then i 'save as' and start bouncing.
- maschine always says as maschine. i may sounds onto different tracks for mixing, but i don't really render these until i'm satisfied with the full drum pattern for the song and then feel like i should start glitching manually and doing specific manipulations that can only be done with audio.

basically, all my sketches are midi + external gear audio recordings.
as soon as i start figuring out structure and trying to make a coherent piece that's more than a jam/sketch, then i start to bounce.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
MIDI is like beer. Audio is like pizza.
Sometimes you just have to have both.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #20
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon3 Re: Audio Files or Midi Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
MIDI is like beer. Audio is like pizza.
Sometimes you just have to have both.
hahahaha i like

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.