Very good tutorial on compression by FL studio team
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 23-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler
zaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Very good tutorial on compression by FL studio team

I know topics already exist, checked them all in the past but got really motivated to post this, as an fl studio user.So for all the fl studio users here who do not use compression, this might change your mind
Very distinctive examples on 1 instrument and a whole track

Advertisements

------------------
zaroukos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
pav1990
Learning The Ropes
pav1990 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Very good tutorial on compression by FL studio team

nice way to compression in FL ty
pav1990 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
nostos
Minor Glitch
nostos will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I've known what certain things in the compressor do to the sound, but it's nice to know more in depth how things actually work. Thx for the vid!!
nostos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
t_valor
Learning The Ropes
t_valor will become famous soon enough
Ottawa Ontario
MC Status: 60

Ya i watched this video and right away i had to try it for myself. Thank you.
t_valor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Aephus
Regular Freak
Aephus is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I have a question. Did he use the compressor on everything combined? or just the drums? or ?
I'm curious to know. Also, for those who use compressors, do you use it on everything combined? or do you split it up by instrument?
Aephus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
helixeternal
Minor Glitch
helixeternal has a spectacular aura abouthelixeternal has a spectacular aura about
Fort Wayne, IN
MC Status: 160

Aephus: he was using it on a loop, so it was all the sounds combined.

This is a good tutorial on how the compressor works but I'd like to get more into the philosophy of compression. E.G.: what to use it on, why use it, when to use it, etc.
helixeternal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
zaroukos
Knob Twiddler
zaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to beholdzaroukos is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

i mostly use it on percussion.
e.g. if you want a cymbal to be heard into a mix but you dont want it to occupy much space, you raise its volume and u put the compressor attack at lets say 50ms. This way it makes a loud early click and then its volume gets lowered. You can also do the opposite,for example your kick is too loud on the begining, but its overall volume is just fine. Therefore you lower the early loud sound so that it wont be louder than the rest of the song, and the rest of the sound is on a normal level.

Generally compression does not apply to long-time sounds because its maximum release is 200ms (or at least for the one im using) and after that you just need to use noise gate (Or use only the noise gate, why not!)

imo compression is a technique used by people to achieve better quality, but in the end you address your songs to normal people. They wont hear the difference. So a good mastering and mixing, leaves compression asside

Last edited by zaroukos; 21-11-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
zaroukos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote