Ableton Live tutorial for live purposes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Go Back The Studio Tutorials Section
Old 17-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
pBrane
Sample Destroyer
pBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Ableton Live tutorial for live purposes

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good sources for learning how to use ableton live for live purposes. I know it can be used for production as well but I'm not too interested in using it for that purpose

Advertisements

------------------
pBrane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: Ableton Live tutorial for live purposes

Perhaps the manual? I'm pretty sure Ableton covers a lot in there

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/»»»»»\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

What do you want to do: Play your own music live, play other people's music live, play live instruments (improv-style live set), use it in a band setting with other people? For the live aspect of Live, Session view is very straightforward & it's really just a matter of thinking about what you want to achieve and then building it. But it would help to know what you want to achieve / how you want to use it.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
pBrane
Sample Destroyer
pBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura aboutpBrane has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I hope to use it for triggering electronic elements and drums and then being able to record live bass and guitar loops into the mix

------------------
pBrane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/»»»»»\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pBrane View Post
I hope to use it for triggering electronic elements and drums and then being able to record live bass and guitar loops into the mix
If you don't need to sync it to anything else - then it should be pretty straightforward to get that set-up. I take it you've got Live and played around with Session View? You got a midi controller like a Launchpad / APC?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
ell_tee
Regular Freak
ell_tee is just really niceell_tee is just really niceell_tee is just really niceell_tee is just really niceell_tee is just really nice
Hong Kong
MC Status: 400

My lazy ass hasn't put together the tutorial I want to about this very thing but I have seen a couple of videos with people doing this very thing. The magic ingredient? Footswitch.

I saw a video long ago with a beatboxer using it. He just had a mic and was recording loops to layer over each other. Fottswitch, laptop and Live. Still another video I saw was a saxophonist who had tracks set up in Live and then played over them. Very avant-garde jazz stuff. Same setup with a footswitch and laptop.

Honestly, it's quite easy to do what you have described. If you've ever worked with a looper pedal you'd almost be doing something similar.

I could send you a PM describing the setup I have used in the past.

(Actually, I can't post links here so I'ma PM you with om links that might help.)
ell_tee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Mr. 50
Soundwave Mangler
Mr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud ofMr. 50 has much to be proud of
Bristol
MC Status: 1010

I use Live to play out regularly so feel free to ask any specific questions! Happy to help

------------------
Mr. 50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Eggyokeo
Microknight
Eggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really nice
Some where in the bush
MC Status: 360

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

youtube is a good source

Advertisements

------------------
Eggyokeo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote