Synthesizing Drum Kits
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 14-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
9:45
Knob Twiddler
9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold
CT
MC Status: 858
Synthesizing Drum Kits

does anyone have any tips on making synthetic sounding drum noises?

Advertisements

------------------
Just sit back and chill
9:45 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072
Re: Synthesizing Drum Kits

just google it there is loads of sites to show you, infact i even think i saw a thread on here how to synthesis a kick drum....

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
leftfoot
IDMf Artist
leftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant futureleftfoot has a brilliant future
Reykjavik
MC Status: 1662

Here's a youtube tutorial about how to synthesize some percussions on NI Massive

------------------
leftfoot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
@PropagandaNC
Granular Poster
@PropagandaNC is a jewel in the rough@PropagandaNC is a jewel in the rough@PropagandaNC is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Probably going through and synthesizing each drum separately would be a better look. I have tons of vids Ive saved in regards to this on my youtube account...check it out

my username is P12yt
@PropagandaNC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Flux302
Microknight
Flux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud ofFlux302 has much to be proud of
the first state
MC Status: 1260

I like to use found sounds and mix them with analog drum techniques.. often taking something like the recording of me hitting a metal bin with sound shapping from something like a minibrute or diva then resample it all together with a bit of bit crushing to mesh the sound together nicely. also a lil bit of fuzz can go a long way.
Flux302 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
s'liM
Granular Poster
s'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MCs'liM is a savage MC
MC Status: 8389235

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Has some useful info about synthesizing drum sounds.
s'liM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
thisENIGMA
Minor Glitch
thisENIGMA is currently spamming hard
TX
MC Status: 10

i've been trying to make solid electronic kits for ever. I think after reading this i'm gonna work on incorporating a kick i've been making.
thisENIGMA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
devinnrock
Learning The Ropes
devinnrock is currently spamming hard
delhi
MC Status: 10

You can start your work, for taking a little knowledge about it.
devinnrock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
9:45
Knob Twiddler
9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold
CT
MC Status: 858

i just got the waldof collection from a buddy of mine and attack is amazing! I think i wanna micro tonic as well

------------------
Just sit back and chill
9:45 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
ignatius
Soundscaper
ignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MCignatius is a savage MC
the northwest
MC Status: 13983882

check out drum spillage and elektroid as well.

almost anything can be a percussion sound. the right attack and decay are the main ingredients. also, just rocking out and jamming w/all kinds of noises then going back and chopping out the little bits you like is a great way to get weird percussion sounds

FM can doa lot of great drum sounds.

------------------
ignatius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

Yep.. it's all in the envelope.. You can make a drum sound out of anything with the right pitch/amp env on it.

But generally it's easiest with sine waves and white noise to achieve the kind of 808ey sounds you're probably thinking of.
An 808 kick drum is just a bass sine wave with a short decay and longer release than usual.. to get that "boooom" sound.. simply shorten the release to get rid of it and get the shorter typical house kicks. Compressing, EQing, Distorting or sometimes simply amplifying the synth can help give it a bit a of oomph (High distortion= Hardstyle kicks). Add reverb for spacey deep house kicks.
A hi hat is just white noise.. and it's the same deal all over again. Long release for an open hi hat, and short for a closed.
If you get your kicks.. raise their pitch and fuck with their pitch envelopes 80s toms come quite easily.
Other drum sounds are slightly more complicated.. but generally I find they sound better when I keep them simple and effect them.. instead of trying to do everything in-synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux302
I like to use found sounds and mix them with analog drum techniques.. often taking something like the recording of me hitting a metal bin with sound shapping from something like a minibrute or diva then resample it all together with a bit of bit crushing to mesh the sound together nicely. also a lil bit of fuzz can go a long way.
I like the way you think sir. Indeedy lots of fun.. resampling can sometimes be an easy solution to drum synthesis too. Not enough producers edit their drum samples in soundwave editors to see what they can do either.

Also.. Tape distortions can be very fun mixed with this.

It's definitely worth taking the leap.. now if I want a drum sound that's very specific I can usually make it pretty quickly. Where as before I would've scoured the internet for it until I probably gave up or searched my room for an object I could hit that might sound like it. For typical drum sounds, it isn't really worth it.. better to just use packs of 808 samples.. but it can be worth it if you want to automate the simple sounds in interesting ways. So it opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Last edited by ZheNhir; 14-09-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Advertisements

ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote