I've never used a Pad before...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 14-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Sebt1890
Granular Poster
Sebt1890 will become famous soon enoughSebt1890 will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 110
I've never used a Pad before...

So on the track I'm working on someone suggested I include a pad. I know what it is but how exactly do I use it properly? Is there a certain way? It just seems like its a sound with a big release and a lot of reverb.

I've never used one so thats why it may sound like a dumb question.

Thanks guys

Advertisements

Sebt1890 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: I've never used a Pad before...

Easiest way is to load up a synth and flick through a few presets until you find a sound that fits, then either play & sustain a single note or chords...maybe for the same length as your bass note is sustained then change along with it.

Not sure what kind of tune you've got, but take a listen to the pads in this track. They've been made with vocals (afaik) & they're reverbed and affected to the point of being (vocal) pads and you can hear how well they fill the space and add to the atmosphere.

Also - for instant gratification side-chain a kick to your pad(s). Cheap trick but it can sound great . Maybe just make a quick project with a pad and a kick, sidechain them and start playing notes / chords and see how it sounds.

Last edited by scyn; 14-11-2013 at 10:11 AM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
Sebt1890 (14-11-2013)
Old 14-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebt1890 View Post
how exactly do I use it properly?
You'll know you've used it properly when it sounds good

You've got the basic idea, they're just slow soft sounds I guess. For me, subtle textural shifts are what make pads great - if you're good with music, this can be achieved with interesting chords to some extent, but my favourite technique is to record automation for some aspect of the pad (often a detune or unison pitch setting for me.) But yeah, just experiment with layering, see what you can do with pad presets to get a feel for the "basic" pad sounds etc - have a muck around until you like what you hear.

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mister_crow
Sebt1890 (14-11-2013)
Old 14-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

You could also use strings in place of pads

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to erik mitchell
Sebt1890 (14-11-2013)
Old 14-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Sebt1890
Granular Poster
Sebt1890 will become famous soon enoughSebt1890 will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 110

Thanks all of you. I've got a busy weekend but I am looking forward to trying these options. I found a Pad I like that will go with the song, but I will look into the strings. It's all one big learning curve and thanks again for being helpful.
Sebt1890 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Opus Science
Soundwave Mangler
Opus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond reputeOpus Science has a reputation beyond repute
Brighton
MC Status: 3360

Think of a pad less as a sound and more a texture to provide body and warmth to part of the frequency spectrum in your mix. Consider the frequency spectrum, the whole thing from 20 to 20K. What's missing in your mix? Why isn't it as warm as your reference material? Where's there a gaping hole? Try a pad in that area. Shape it with the synth controls and EQ to get it right and play away on your keyboard until you find something you like.

For example, say you're making something deep and moody with a lot of scope for things in the upper areas of the frequency spectrum. Experiment with soft, round, thin, high sounds, based on triangle and sine waveforms, perhaps with some FM dialled in also.

Alternatively, you want to thicken things in the lower regions. Try saw, pulse, square waves in with some reasonable cutoff removing the high frequencies, but with a reasonably pronounced resonance. Add chorus to this to thicken and give further character.

Further to this, long/slow enveloping the cutoff or resonance on a pad can really give them a life of their own. It starts dull and swells bright over a bar or two bars for example. It can be really powerful, although it's simple.

Honestly, pads can be a beautiful and warm endeavour. Even the simple ones. As long as you cook them up right, a single pad can be a track-changer or a mix-fixer. They have great potential. Enjoy playing with them and let us know how you get on, what you do.
Opus Science is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
CocaineAudio
Soundscaper
CocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud ofCocaineAudio has much to be proud of
Newark, New Jersey
MC Status: 1010

experiment and find out what works for you... listen to the genre of music you make and listen for how they use pads

------------------
Follow Me On Twitter: @SluRty
SlurRty Memories (Original Mix) *Released 6-18-14* =
CocaineAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Pads are the most exciting part of making music... Did you know you can make a whole song just using pads? Experiment, and you'll guaranteed have a blast with it.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
relic (13-02-2014)
Old 24-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
Cosine
Granular Poster
Cosine has a spectacular aura aboutCosine has a spectacular aura about
Semi-Detatched.
MC Status: 160

For pads, a great technique to play about with is layering. If you create two different, yet similar pads, and give them the same notes, and EQ to isolate what you like from each of them, a lot of the time it'll sound much better than one of them.

Also, layering in natural textures, from found sounds/foley can be very helpful too.

Oh, and a shit-tonne of reverb.
Cosine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #10
N8499q Music
Learning The Ropes
N8499q Music is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Use a lot of wet reverb
N8499q Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
sonic breeze
Minor Glitch
sonic breeze has a spectacular aura aboutsonic breeze has a spectacular aura aboutsonic breeze has a spectacular aura about
amsterdam
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8499q Music View Post
Use a lot of wet reverb
for sure! and sopme sweeps maybe as well. phasers, faders , throw it all at it

Advertisements

------------------

We create flow and flow creates us, this movement has a sound.
sonic breeze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote